What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Planet of the Apes -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I spent the afternoon watching the BD of Planet of The Apes.

Mind you, this is my all-time favorite science fiction film, placed above
anything else ever released in that genre.

I could not believe how beautiful the transfer looks on this format.
For me, this is the most significant release to the format to date.
It's a prime example of how you can take a classic title and bring
it up to standards where it looks so breathtaking you would think it
was a new film.

As far as the menu is concerned, it really is a non-issue. Yes, the
offending picture is represented but unless you let the menu run that
long and (as a newbie) really know what you are looking at, I don't
think it will be a major issue.

Kudus to Fox for putting these films out in a beautiful set (with an
awesome booklet). The only problem with this set are the hubs the
discs sit in. It took me quite some time to return the disc to its hub.
Not especially the most functional aspect of this set.

Other than that, based on viewing the first film and looking through
the book, I can't recommend this boxed set more.

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
I've already bought a PotA boxset... twice. It is becoming very difficult not to jump again to Blu.

Anyway, the discussion of spoiler type menus reminded me of the first time I ever saw Planet of the Apes.

It was playing in a theater with the just released Beneath the Planet of the Apes and guess what? They showed "Beneath" first. So, I found out in the first three minutes where they were. Man, lemme tell ya... I was one pissed off 11 year old! Since then... never met a spoiler I liked!

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, I kind of wished I would have set this aside until Thanksgiving break, when I can really veg out and soak everything up at once
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

The book is simply awesome. I really enjoyed the prop pictures in the back.
I've watched the first film(with Lawgiver intro which I love), and two special features. The film looks nothing short of amazing. I compared it to the standard dvd, and it is literally like comparing night to day. Just amazing.

The two features I watched:

-Evolution of the apes (about 24 minutes) shed even more insight into this pop culture phenomenon. Very informative. On a grading scale-A

-Public service announcement from Ansa. Runs only 6 minutes but I tell you it's the best 6 minutes of feature I've ever seen.
When it started I thought it was a tad hokey. That ended as soon as I realized how amazingly well written this little skit was. It brings you inside the mission that Taylor, and crew embark on. It also deepens the Apes mythology. Maybe It's because I love the film so much, but to get that little backstory...It was fascinating. I loved it-A+++
I'm so glad I own this set, and I'm almost certain this will be the best deluxe box set I will ever own.
Again I say Thank you Fox. You've exceeded my high expectations.

Aryn Leroux

Screenwriter
I recently made the plunge into Blu-ray buying the Panasonic BD-55 player a couple of weeks ago. Awesome Player BTW. I am having a tuff time deciding whether to just upgrade the original Planet of the Apes film to bd or get the entire collection on BD. Are any of you finding the quality of the sequels to be very good aswell ? or is it primarily the first film that is seeing a significant upgrade.

To date i own Blade Runner, Close Encounters and 2001. All terrific on BD.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member

In addition to the first film, I checked out Beneath, and Conquest. Both have equally good quality. I'm sure the other two look just as nice.
I'm certainly glad I own it.

David Deeb

Screenwriter
Real Name
David

Glad to hear they look good, but do the sequels hold up? I love the original and watched it many, many times. I've seen the other 4, but its been a looooong time. I remember liking Escape even though its dated looking (70s America - yikes!), but thinking the others aren't as good. Or am I wrong?

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
I read that each of the Apes movies were made with half the budget as the one before it, and it shows. Each one is really half the quality of the one before it. Battle looks almost like an episode of the TV show, which was being made about the same time.
They are not BAD movies, but you have to check your expectations, cause none is as good as the first ( i love Beneath as much as the first, even with the cheap masks used for the extras).

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
This is high on my want list. I spent too much $$ at the Fox store durning the recent HTF meet so it will have to wait a little while.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member

Yeah, Beneath is very cool. Still holds up well. It's even more Sci-Fi than the first one.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Just as FYI for anyone contemplating a purchase of the box set, DeepDiscount is having their 25% off sale right now. You can pick it up for under seventy bucks shipped, although at the present time they're showing it as OOS. Patience would be rewarded with quite a substantial savings.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Beneath is actually quite excellent. Escape is rather good as well.

Once you get into Conquest and Battle, well, it ain't the same old Joe.
Battle is actually so bad that I refuse to ever watch it again. Just a
horrible film.

I may very well be wrong about this, but I think it is brought out
in the Roddy McDowell documentary that the studio was trying to get
out of the Apes franchise at the time and was only pumping these
films out theatrically due to fan demand. I think it may have been
suggested that they intentionally made the sequels badly so that the
interest would fade out.

I hope somebody can confirm or deny the above. It really shows
with each sequel how the series went downhill.

GregK

Screenwriter
Is BATTLE the same slightly extended version that was on the last DVD version?

Anthony_H

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Anthony
Its interesting how even among fans of the films, "favorites" opinions vary. I am also a big fan of Conquest. The extended cut was interesting and disturbing... seeing an old friend "bloodied" up like that.

Torsten Kaiser

Film Restoration & Preservation
Insider
Real Name
Film Restoration & Preservation
Hello to all,

I have been following the discussion for a while - and I want to make a couple of comments on the technical status of the POTAs masters the Blu-ray release is based on. Though I agree with Ron Epstein that these issues are so far the best on any format, it is (unfortunately) not as should be; and for once I very respectfully have to disagree with RAH that the image is a beauty and that there are no problems here.

Granted, it is not quite as obvious as with PATTON and THE LONGEST DAY, but the POTAs have their fair share of (digitally created, or rather left behind) troubles in a very similar way as the OMEN Collection does. Robert, if you could tell me what display you saw this on - maybe that would explain why you did not catch this. Having analyzed the video files in more detail after the initial viewing on reference studio equipment as well as a normal consumer monitor (where I first spotted the problems) I have to say that if at all, this "Mona Lisa" was treated rather half-heartedly and as a result bears some unnecessary blemishes that do not exist on 35mm. That goes most notably for the original 1968 classic.
  • what is evident is the use of an automatic dirt and scratch removal tool on these masters. Now, these tools are always unreliable with regard to what they remove and how (something these tools are notorious for) as they either remove only parts of what should be removed and leave the rest as remnant behind or (even worse) remove things that are supposed to be left completely untouched (things such as legs, fingers, and other either fast or shiny objects etc).
    If used at all (we for instance don't for that reason) the very least that needs to be done afterward is a thorough frame by frame check. This, and that is part of the reason I am writing here, was not done. In numerous shots/frames remnants of hairs, scratches, debris and dust still remain. A proper QC would / should have prevented that.
  • unfortunately, Ron is not correct that DNR (De-Graining / De-Noising) is not a factor - it is, and (depending on the film) to quite a great degree. Different to PATTON or THE LONGEST DAY (different tool) but a significant factor non the less, especially on the original classic. Because of the de-graining process the pixel structure is especially on this film already significantly altered prior to the encoding stage (such artefacts would look very different). The flat appearance is due to the digital reduction of grain, not the transfer of an IP, where the grain structure would be very much intact. The de-graining also affects (severely simplifies) colors, shadow detail as well as image texture. And it also smudges the remnants of debris etc the dirt removal tool left behind, another "give-away" that de-graining/de-noising was performed, if you will.
These digital de-graining tools leave very destinct "signatures" - and can even be told apart re: manufacturer. This particular type of processing is also evident on all three OMEN masters that were released on Blu-ray earlier in a similar way.

So, again, I do agree that the release is not quite as bad as the two war classics, but from where I am sitting especially the first POTA has lost quite a bit of its original appearance and, yes, beauty. I wish it were different and people especially in the HE execs offices would stop seeing film grain that was not artificially caused by work on the telecine or scanner as a flaw that needs to be eradicated. And while the argument that encoders have great difficulty with (heavy) grain in general is valid this problem can be handled with the proper attention=several passes=time. It may cost a bit more money, but it is rewarding.

Best,

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member

Ron, I must respectfully disagree and say I think it's nonsense that "they intentionally made the sequels bad" (plus CONQUEST and BATTLE simply aren't "bad movies"). The screewnwriters, whenever interviewed, talk about how hard they worked at trying to make the movies good. Director J. Lee Thompson directed the last two films, and though his budget was reduced, he tried very hard with his original violent vision for CONQUEST (which of course is now on available for the first time ever). He wanted to capture the feel of the Watts riots and he succeeded in the original cut... The Director's Cut of CONQUEST is very disturbing, and features much more blood and gore, and one scene in particular which I won't ruin here involves Don Murray (Governor Breck) taking out his hatred on one of the apes. It's got to be seen to be believed. The ending of the Uncut Version is rather shocking and stays with you, whereas the released Theatrical Cut tried to smooth things out a bit and let the viewer exit with a much more contented feeling.

BATTLE is just one of the most underrated movies ever, IMO. Now, that doesn't mean I'd say it's really good; I wouldn't say BATTLE is a "great" film; I think its main trouble for me is that by this time in the series we're treading familiar territory and it feels like we've "been here and done that" -- but it's still a very crucial and important chapter because it is the film which attempts to prevent the future outcome from turning into the original PLANET OF THE APES scenario, as Ape and Man attempting to straighten out their differences and survive together and live as equals. If you watch the new violent Director's Cut of CONQUEST, then BATTLE turns out to be even more poignant in how it attempts to reconcile things among the species before it's too late. There is a message of hope there, even though there are always stumbling blocks like General Aldo and Governor Kolp who just want to keep waging wars. That is the whole point of BATTLE. Can we ever get along? The ending of the film leaves an ambiguous question mark.

Eric Greene (who wrote the book PLANET OF THE APES AS AMERICAN MYTH: RACE, POLITICS, AND POPULAR CULTURE) is featured on the documentaries which are in the new Blu-ray sets. I think he is on the right track with the APES films, realizing they're more than just simple kiddie fare and that they all have a lot to say politicially, and each movie works together as a whole. I guess as a longtime fan of the franchise I just can never understand how so many people only wish to acknowledge the first PLANET OF THE APES and then ignore the rest (though some tolerate BENEATH, and maybe even ESCAPE). I have a friend who loves the movies too. We do an annual "GO APE!" marathon and as much as we recognize the greatness of the first PLANET OF THE APES, the truth is that we're both very tired of it and always find it an obligatory chore to sit through every year; it's the sequels and the way the lineage turns that we get off on, and can't wait to get to.

Each film has its different purpose and a new angle. I don't think the chronology works as a complete circle. I think PLANET and BENEATH are supposedly what our own future will become in the year 3955; and then when Zira and Cornelius journey back to 1973 in ESCAPE, it is not the same 1973 of own world of 35 years ago, but rather an alternate timeline and a chance for us to see if the visit by the chimpanzees are going to alter what will ultimately become Charlton Heston's nightmare in PLANET. From here on' history will work out differently than how the planet devolved the first time around. Now as a result of Zira and Cornelius' time travel we have an angry Caesar leading a revolt in CONQUEST by the alternate 1991, and becoming no better than his human antagonists (as it plays out now in the violent Director's Cut)... but by the time we end with BATTLE, this is how the series leaves us.... wil Caesar be able to change his vengeful feelings and try to help make what's left of the world a better place for EVERYONE? We end by not being sure.

Sorry for the rant... but I just see the series as totally worthwhile, and what happens in ESCAPE, CONQUEST, and BATTLE to not in any way harm the effectiveness of the original PLANET. I really wish that some people who don't want to accept the other films might try and approach the whole thing differently. It's really a very intelligent series with something important to say, not just monkey adventures.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Joe,

I always enjoy reading what you post because it is filled with
knowledge and passion.

...and I appreciate you took the time to post your "rant" as I made
it clear in my post that I was uncertain if there was truth behind what
I had posted. It's one of those pieces of information that I had picked
up over the years, though uncertain exactly from where. I wanted to
be sure my mind wasn't playing tricks on me so I was very certain to
present the information with a disclaimer that I had doubt about its
validity.

I also understand the premise behind Battle and how it sets
to change the future that is predicted to come. The problem is for
myself (and I would guess most) is that it came across as a low-budget
film that could have easily been mistaken for any one of the episodes
in the TV series that followed it. For me, it wasn't entertaining and
anything as climatic as the films that came before it.

I'm one of the biggest fans of the series there is out there. I grew up
with these films and watched all of them dozens of times. It was just
a shame that Battle was the one I opted to watch less. I think
had the studio given it a bigger budget that it could have been a greater
film. Then again, I think by that time interest in these films had already
diminished greatly.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I have a huge question about the Planet of the Apes special feature "Public service announcement from ANSA".

I'm not exactly positive, but I think the announcer(who appears through most of the segment) is Mike Nelson from Mystery Science Theater fame.
Can anyone confirm this? I didn't see any credits for that segment, so I don't know who wrote it, or who the announcer is.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation690
Recent bookmarks