What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Planet of the Apes -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
One of the things that I dislike most about going to movie theaters is having one of the "wait until you see this..." people seated behind you, giving away every plot detail just before it occurs. It's also for this reason that if I'm going to go see a film, I generally don't read reviews.

Planet of the Apes (1968) is one of those films that depends dearly upon a "clean" viewing experience. I first saw it at a screening at the old Fox facility on NY's west side, along with NY film critics, who were also getting a first time "clean" experience. The reaction was stunning.

Forty years later, Planet has made its way to Blu-ray, and while I would counsel those who have not seen it previously to go in "clean," they will also be seeing a very clean Blu-ray. The image, while not spotless -- "spotless" doesn't rate very highly in my book -- is a beauty. Virtually grainless, but not devoid of detail, the image looks fine. The lower level of grain may come from what appears to be a transfer from an IP, which could cause the slight softening. No problems here.

Viewing two terrific films over a few days -- the other being Body Heat -- gives me hope that the modern classics will continue to make their way to Blu-ray, servicing our appetites for quality filmmaking on our chosen format.

Fox gives us Planet of the Apes as a beautiful Blu-ray with a ton of extras.

Recommended.

RAH

Geoff_D

Supporting Actor
That's great to hear, RAH. I'm waiting for the big boxset before I get me some damn dirty apes goodness though.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
If I'm not mistaken, doesn't the disc menu contain a major spoiler? That would seem to ruin any attempt at a clean experience.

EnricoE

Supporting Actor

yikes ... i hate these kinda menu. i always disliked menu that show tons of footage from the movie (hulk dvd comes into mind). i prefer subtle, almost static like menus. set up the mood but don't spoil the experience.

a few of my fav. dvd menu: lord of the rings trilogy (extended edition), alien quadrilogy, american psycho (killer collectors edition), jaws

as for planet of the apes ... i'm looking forward to re-expierence this fantastic movie ones again
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Some film moments that should remain part of the first time viewing experience become too entrenched in pop culture and you just can't take it back. Personally, speaking, I lucked out on knowing all the secrets of Psycho before I first saw it a dozen years ago in my late teens, but with other films I was not so lucky. In short, I've always know the truth about Darth Vader, and I've always known the truth about the Planet of the Apes. I can't remember a time when I didn't know them, and well before seeing the film in the case of the latter. Thems the breaks.

Nick Laslett

Stunt Coordinator

Off-topic apologies.

One of my favourite viewings of Psycho was a past midnight showing on the ITV (UK commercial channel), where they put an ad break right in the middle of a certain scene! It was a shock to me for all the wrong reasons.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein

Wait a second....

Does anyone know this to be true?

If it is, I can just guess what the spoiler is.

The original DVD release put the landmark right on the cover.
People complained for years about it as that photo spoils the
entire movie.

So, the studio finally smartens up and removes the reference
but now someone is saying it is on the menu?

I can't get angry without confirmation, but if this is true, someone
should lose their job for doing something so inept.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris

Ron,

The menu is comprised of a half dozen images or so in a hi-con semi-stylized fashion. The offending image is toward the end, and one would have to allow the menu to run for 15 -20 seconds to hit it.

As you know, I never have, nor never would ever say anything negative in regard to anything done by Fox Home Ent., and would certainly not suggest anyone losing their job for this. Being moved to a distant parking spot for sixty days might seem proper. This is a bit like having a menu for Citizen Kane, with a nice clear shot of the sled...

RAH

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
RAH,
Pretty funny! Yes, you're right there aren't many people out there that's going to buy this BRD that doesn't already know the ending of this film. I understand Ron's feelings, but this isn't exactly a film that many people will have their BRD viewing compromised by this spoiler.

Crawdaddy

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I noticed it when Fox demo'ed the disc on our visit. I was surprised none of our more vocal members said anything at the time.

But as Robert H. said it is also a stylized graphic and one of a series of these types of images. And as Robert C. said, along with the thing about Soylent Green, I'm not sure how many people there are who are actually unaware about Planet of the Apes.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Well, certainly Gentlemen, you had to figure that I didn't really
mean to have someone fired over a menu. In hindsight, it was
a bad comment to make and I apologize. It was simply meant to
"sensationalize" the situation.

Additionally, I do understand that the masses have already seen
this film, however, there will always be a newer generation of
individuals who have not, either presently or in the future.

I know most of the people who work for Fox and they all do a
superb job with their product. Obviously the BD transfer of this
film is no exception.

As a huge fan of this film and my concern for anyone who has
never seen this film, my dismay is that this is the second or
third time Fox has put the offending image either on their cover
or menu and it just makes me wonder who is making that decision
to do this and why and how many more future releases will the same
decision be made?

At some point that image is going to ruin the film for someone.

In the context of the entire situation perhaps my complaint is
minimal and I am making too much fuss over nothing -- especially
towards a studio that is doing exceptional restoration work -- but
I suppose this is a personal "peeve" of mine that I had hoped would
have been corrected.

By the way, I saw the transfer projected on a huge screen while
at Fox and it looked very, very good. Anyone worried about DNR
put should put their fears aside. The film looks as it should more
beautifully than it has on any other format previously.

Cameron,

What I remember seeing was pieces of projectiles that were part
of the crown. These are the very first images that you see on the
beach at the end of the film.

Unless you knew what you were looking at, you would never know
what it was. The exact same way all of us viewed it on film for the
first time.

I noticed nothing further that gave away anything and you can bet
that had I seen it I would have politely questioned it at the studio.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris

There are many, many people who have never seen (or heard of) this film, as with all other films. Your comment about firing got me thinking of Henry Hull in Jesse James. "First we take all the lawyers..."

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Having that specific image in the main menu is stupid. No other words to describe it, and no way to sugar coat it.

Two of my friends haven't seen this movie. I guess when the menu pops up, I'll tell them to close their eyes until the movie starts.

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick

I showed this movie to my son this summer. He is 15, and has never seen it. Of course its one of my favorites, but to get him to watch it, i had to tell him its from the 80s. I hate to say, neither of my kids, b 15, g 17 will watch a black and white movie, by choice, and neither want to watch anything OLDER than the late 80s.
Yes, my son loved it, and was shocked at the ending. Made me smile (and yes i told him after that it was from 1968). I myself was only 5 when the movie came out. I fell in love with it when i was 6 or 7, a double feature with Beneath, at a Drive-in with my dad.

Scott D S

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott Saslow

How did he react to that?

On another note, I'm 25 and I only saw this film for the first time a few months ago. I liked it a lot but after seeing The Simpsons and Spaceballs, I pretty much knew all the major developments including the ending.
But you know what? The themes of the film haven't aged a day. And being a Jerry Goldsmith fan, how could I resist one of his most famous scores?

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
We all know the moon was blown out of orbit, in the year 1999.

I do hate to use spoilers on a 40 year movie. But for this ONE, i will!

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I was maybe 10 or 12 the first time i saw this movie probably in the early 70's.

for some reason i don't remember having any thought that this movie took place anywhere other then the Earth and I wasn't surprised when the Lady appeared on the beach. I just figured it was the future or an alternate Earth all along.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member

EDIT:

After watching the menu(I just got the set today) it seems the "image" in question is.....well it's pretty difficult to make out what exactly it is. It does look like peculiar rock formation in the menu.
I take back what I said earlier. Fox did a fantastic job on this set. Quite impressive in every way

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Yeah, just from memory while at Fox, I never saw the complete
image. My overreaction was from what was posted here thinking
I missed something.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles