What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Pinocchio -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
All very confusing here. But I took the plunge anyway (in combo w/ the Sleeping Beauty BD) when I saw the excellent Amazon combo deal today, so hope I don't regret this one. :confused:

_Man_

Brian W.

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
You're kidding me! Jiminy's "Right" is missing? Question: Does this set include a mono track and is it missing from the mono track as well?

Brian W.

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Huh! Well, maybe it wasn't on there originally, like Scarlett's extra "I'll sell you South" line in "Gone With the Wind."

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
Could be. That's what we are trying to figure out. I wish someone could talk to the restoration team and find out what the audio source was and if this was intentional.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
What's weird is that there's a furor over the color but a missing line seems to be unnoticed. Granted, I don't go to animation websites or message boards but if people are talking about the color then you'd think they'd notice a (possible) missing line too.

Brian W.

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
I may have a way to find out. I own the old, out-of-print RCA soundtrack CD to Pinocchio. It was not released by Disney, but taken from the old RCA shellac masters, released at the time Pinocchio was released. It has complete music and sound effects. I'm eating dinner right now, and I'm not sure exactly where it is, so as soon as I finish I'll start searching for it. That may tell us.

By the way, RCA did these reissue CDs for "Snow White" and "Bambi" too. Interesting thing about the "Snow White" disc: it contains a verse of "The Silly Song," called "The Dwarf's Yodel Song," that did not make the film. Sneezy originally had his own verse, and it was cut before release... but not before the original 78rpm album was mastered.

Brian W.

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Okay, Jiminy's "right" was on the original-original 78rpm soundtrack issued by RCA in 1940, so I would presume it's supposed to be there.

Quote from the CD's booklet:

"Originally issued on six 78 RPM sides, this digital release was assembled from elements in the Victor vault and original shellac parts in storage." The release is BMG 2137-2-R, with a plain black cover with gold lettering. Released in 1990.

Brian W.

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
But it just makes no sense that it's not on the mono track. Maybe they were using this mono track for reference in their surround sound remix, and since it wasn't there, they cut it out. (Wouldn't it be funny if this mono track was actually a "new" mono mix, and they were hoodwinking us all?)

Brian W.

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian

The fuss is that it should have been very obvious to anyone familiar with the film that this was missing. It's been there for 59 years.

I wonder if people would be upset if the word "frankly" was omitted from Rhett Butler's, "Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn." It is only one word, after all.

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
The film should be preserved and this was probably a mistake in the restoration process. Disney would probably like to know this so that the film will be seen as intended.

David Deeb

Screenwriter
Real Name
David

I have to agree to some extinct with Brad. Why can't film simply be released like books and music; where we can just access the material?

I'm not forced to listen to sermonizing before I read Huck Finn or listen to Pink Floyd. But if I want to revisit my Looney Tunes cartoons, I have to hear (or manipulate around) some "message" from Whoopi Goldberg each time, even just to watch one or two cartoons.

On the opposite end of things, we get current product being pitched in our face as acceptable. I know Eddie Murphy isn't Disney, but it reminds me of the ads a few years back for "The Nutty Professor" which claimed it was fun for the whole family. The TV spots said "fun and laughs for your whole family".

Fun for the whole family apparently includes a 10 minute scene of the foul-mouthed comedian hurling insults, loads of fart jokes and potty humor, hamster rape, granny stepping on her own breasts, granny talking about sex & much more the whole family can enjoy. But there's no warning. Not even about over-eating. (I don't hate The Nutty Professor by the way)

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
I was able to skip past the smoking intro (and yes I was in awe of the film's BD treatment; I bought and watched the movie the day it came out). I don't like it, but as long as I can skip it and it keeps the movie uncut, there are worse things to get upset over. Maybe now they can put a disclaimer/sermonette on an unaltered Fantasia BD or that Uncle Remus picture.

It's interesting how smoking gets singled out when it is viewed very disapprovingly in the film. And no warnings about:

—Animal abuse
—Drinking
—Stereotypes of Italians, French, Dutch, and Russians
—The endangered status of whales
—Biting into a piece of metal
—The smoke, and therefore pollution, produced by burning firewood
—A child's bare bottom in one of Gepetto's clocks.
—Some might consider "jackass" a bad word
—Anything at Pleasure Island
—Obesity
—The idea that you can actually get stuff by wishing on a star
—Gideon's hand gesture when Honest John reminds him of the time they tried to convince Stromboli that he was a puppet.
—Single parenting

If we want to warn people about antisocial behaviors, we might as well go whole hog.

Michael Rogers

Supporting Actor

When does this warning show? I haven't seen it yet. Maybe it was the way I started up the movie. When the first Disney blu-ray trailer shows I went to menu and played the movie from the total menu.

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
my only issues with the pressing of the disc is that the film starts so fast that my PS3 still has that PLAY arrow on the screen as the RKO title is playing usually all on screen display symbols etc dissapear before you see the film play itself... I may try to see if I can turn off the on screen display for it but it isn't a huge deal I just don't want to see it say it is playing over the RKO title (corner of the screen)

Usually the screen stays black a bit longer I guess is why it is an issue on this BD - this is the first one I've noticed it on.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks