What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Pinocchio -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Yeah, if the caps are anything to go by, it looks like it came from a VHS master, was DNR'd to hell, and then cropped to 16:9. What an abomination!

Michael Rogers

Supporting Actor
The art side bars are an interesting curiosity that I wouldn't mind sampling and don't mind at all, so long as they can be turned off.

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Talk about: "who has lives"; your actually changing the color of your display for different sources???
What good is it too calibrate a display if one changes the color on it?
Were do you get the information on each source too know how much too change (imagine you sometimes have too boost the color, as well) the color?
I won't say, as you did, "should be mocked and ridiculed", however I do see what your doing posing a great imposition & a great waste of time (IMO).
Continue tho, it's your life. Just don't see where I "should be mocked and ridiculed" because I want it right from the get go.
I have a life & I'm not spending it changing the color on my display too suit each source! Thank you.

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
I don't know what too think...
read here the colors been boosted; see there the color been darkened.
Which is it?
The Beaver has the original SD DVD showing white: shirt, hat, & gloves; while the 70th & BD shows blue: shirt, hat, & gloves. The white fish, all so turn Blu!

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley

If a dvd's color doesn't look right of course I'll change my tv's display settings. That's what all those programmed tv display options are for. I've had mixed results in the past; usually my meddling improves things. So how is that a waste of time, if I can get a so-so dvd to look better on my 42" 1080p tv? The time invested in playing with the color settings is minimal, and is neither a "great imposition" nor a "great waste of time" (IMO).

I don't understand why some feel so passionate against taking matters into their own hands. Those settings on the tv are there for you too fiddle with all you want. We can outsmart those ignorant dvd engineers--since everyone around here has their own opinion about what's best in terms of OAR and color saturation, grain, etc.

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
I just don't see what the prob is w/wanting it done right. Then no time or effort is needed or wasted changing things (esp. a calibrated display; paying for calibration, then changing it too, I don't know what too call it, 'suit' [?] sources sounds out there too me/maybe its just like me having to change the volume for each source is for you too change the color all the time).
Still don't know how you "know" the color is "right". I think your just guessing too please yourself; more than actually adjusting the color too the correct original intent on each source.
(just like I play back the volume of sources too my liking/depending on mood, time, & subject)
Carry on!
(I'll just get the films I don't have too change the color too enjoy)
---------------------------------------------------------------
I'm not saying this title is wrong. I thought it was said it was wrong; however after seeing the screen grabs I'm waiting for some higher powers too chime in.
If the shirt, hat, gloves, & fish are supposed too be Blu, then so be it!
I did like the underwater scene 'colors' of the 70ths better than the old SD DVD.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW

That's one of the problems w/ screen grabs shown on the web. That wise old saying about NTSC absolutely applies here.

With these things, you can only observe differences, but you canNOT really tell which one is more accurate, etc. whenever color is involved -- unless the web site presenter is very careful w/ the presentation *and* your own web display of choice has been calibrated to meet the needed standards. For most folks, there are just way too many layers of color inaccuracies involved from the actual screen grab all the way to what you see w/ your own eyes from a web page.

Heck, you might not even be able to trust whether certain "artifacts" are actually noticeable (or even really there) depending on the quality of your web display (and its settings) -- most inexpensive LCD monitors certainly do not qualify as good enough for nitpicking such things.

_Man_

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley

All I have to add is that whoever said the color was wrong, was either a liar, didn't know what they were talking about, or had the color on their own tvs set badly. I watched Pinocchio yesterday. The color looks wonderful. Every tv is different, and every tv is going to display colors differently. Not to mention everybody's eyes are different! That's why it's important to make your tv into a friend, and adjust those colors if they somehow offend. But in Pinocchio's case, I can't find any evidence of over-saturation or inaccuracy; it's looks the way I think it should (JMO).

DeeF

Screenwriter
Repeating what I said on the review thread:

I'll describe what I think I can see, using the pictures of Stromboli patting Pinocchio's head from the DVDBeaver site.

Stromboli is standing between a dark space (the theater) and a light space (the stage).

In the original DVD image, Stromboli's blouse and pants reflect this, with the color lightest on his right arm patting Pinocchio, and darkest on his left side, the side to the dark "audience."

There is some definite contrast in the handpainted color, reflecting natural light and lack of light.

The new DVD and BD show none of this contrast. The colors have been made uniform, perhaps because they were repainted digitally.

Although I have bought the BD and look forward to watching it, I do wish the people at Disney would simply restore the negative and then scan it, rather than redoing everything in the digital domain.

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
I am upset to hear that Jiminy's response to Pinocchio during "Give A Little Whistle" has been omitted. Could the line have been mistakenly added from an alternate take years ago and what we are hearing is correct? If not, this needs to be fixed.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

This is problematic. I have listened to the song Give a Little Whistle hundreds of times while I maybe have only watched the film Pinocchio dozens of times. I have always heard Jiminy's response to Pinocchio's answer to the question.

I was going to do some investigating when I got home today...but here is a clip from YouTube (not sure of the original source) and you can plainly hear Cliff Edward's :Right!" at the :49 mark.

MatS

Screenwriter
in doing a lyric search of the song at multiple sites on the web the response "right" is included in the text

Ira Siegel

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ira Siegel
In checking out DeeF's comment #71, I viewed the comparisons on DVD Beaver, too, and the colors in the original DVD look much better. The new DVD and Blu-Ray versions are just plain flat. In the three images of the donkey, there is almost no difference in contrast from left to right or top to bottom, while in the original DVD, there appears to be much more difference in contrast. So, even if DVD Beaver has problems with its rendering of color, the differences between the old and new versions with respect to variations in contrast within an image are still clearly shown by DVD Beaver.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
The captures are not of the same frame, therefore the lighting may have changed. As well, basing accuracyof the transfer on the screencaps is a dangerous game, as the only way to determine accuracy is to watch it for yourself. My initial statement was that if the caps are accurate colour-wise, then they more accurately reflect the muted colour palette intended by the makers. In the words of Lady Tremaine, "I said 'if'."

DeeF

Screenwriter
Of course, my post didn't mention the color palette at all.

It's just an observation that the cells do seem to have been cleaned up of nuances like brush strokes, with the added problem of removing intended contrast.

The backgrounds look beautiful, gloriously detailed, if a little bit bright. But I suspect that the actual animation of cells has been completely repainted, digitally. It's too...perfect.

Just an observation.

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
The 1985 vhs has the line as well. Here is what the souvenir book with the 1992 collector's vhs has to say about that sound restoration: "The first part of the process was to sonically bathe the existing magnetic composite masters, transferred from the original nitrate track in the 1950s. Next came the conversion of the existing monaural tracks to stereo. The original Pinocchio sond masters did not allow for separation of dialogue, effects and music, but the extensive research phase of the restoration provided a rare, separate musc-only track allowing work to proceed with a stereo mix."

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks