What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Pinocchio -- in Blu-ray (2 Viewers)

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member

Blade Runner wasn't giving you the same film sans-restoration: they were giving you another cut of the film that they didn't have time or money to restore.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member

There is a discussion in the commentary about how the Blue Fairy scene was shot. I believe it touches on this subject. IIRC, The Blue Fairy scene was one of the more complex scenes in the film.

I have to disagree with your assertion that the film looks plastic. The restoration impresses me more and more as I rewatch it. Maybe I'm just getting more used to it. Every time I watch the film I spot more and more of the little details that the artists put in to it.

This is probably Disneys best restoration effort to date, despite the decision to remove the film grain. P was never a favorite of mine, but this BD has allowed me to really see this film in a whole new light. I would probably put this at number 2 behind BAMBI on my list of best Disney films.

Bubble

Auditioning
Real Name
Art

Yes. And the fact that there is still detail in animation doesn't change the fact that it can be simplified. Look at Honest John pointing at the advertisement of Stromboli - at the white brushes on his fur, and compare the old version with the new, you will see the difference.

Brian Borst

Screenwriter

The brush strokes on the fur look much better on the new version to me. They're much more detailed (check the Blu-Ray caps).
Oh, and the actual earlier restoration (which wasn't available in Region 1) done by Lowry looked quite similar to the new Blu-Ray and dvd. So, even if the Gold Collection disc was restored, how do you think the two newer versions look more like each other?

Bubble

Auditioning
Real Name
Art

That's not what I think, more detail is visible because the resolution is higher, but they [brush strokes] look plain and less detailed. As for the 2003 dvd I have suspitions it has lots in common with the new restoration. And it looks very similar with the yellow-pastel workshop and the blue light from the Blue fairy.

OH, AND I HAVE A PERFECT ONE - please, look at the Honest John's clothes in the old and new version. This is something that doesn't need to be discussed, but I especially mean the contrast between the green waistcoat, and the green pants, or the different kinds of shade on the pants that suddenly disappear in the new version.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris

Please keep in mind that when we used the word "restore" for these films, it is meant in a slightly different way from live action "restoration." This can get a bit confusing. In most every case, the Disney animated films have intact, clean original negatives. What is being created is NOT a true restoration, but rather a new edition, based upon huge amounts of internal research as to color, density, etc. The new product does not attempt to replicate original nitrate prints of the era of release. In reality the term "restore," which is a term of art, is being used here to represent a reawakening, if you will of the original intent of the filmmakers, taking advantage of modern technology, which allows a sharper, more highly resolved image then ever before possible.

If one were to run an original 1940 print, I would imagine a hue and cry from the audience claiming it incorrect, dull and faded, when prints of that era had that specific look. Those who have seen original prints, or even frames of an original GWTW or other films of the era will see where this is going.

As to the change of clothing, this is a well established error, and noted in cinema literature and research, both of the 1940s, and especially well documented in the great Disney book by Finch, which is inclusive of interviews with the wardrobe staff. Apparently an assistant dresser provided the wrong costume for the actor after a lunch break. Much like Mr. Grant's suit changing color during the crop-duster scene in N x NW.

RAH

Bubble

Auditioning
Real Name
Art

I realise that. It's just I think that there are still some people that find these old prints the best. I am one of these people. When it comes to old movies I don't really care about the technical correctness that much. I had a video-tape with the old Snow White recorded - that is how I got used to it.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Exposing the background imperfections was a drastic change for me and I didn't recognized one of my favourite childhood movies...
And I am not so old, I am a bit over my teenage.

Concluding, I must admit being a bit selfish refering to the original versions, as I don't think myself too that someone not attached so emotionally to the old look of cartoons should appreciate the original version. But I still think it would be a great bonus feature, and I will never stop hoping someday Disney will make it available.
Still, I think that too much animation detail is being removed from old movies, and too much changes are being made.

And redrawing Beauty and The Beast is of course another subject.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW

I think there's probably a bit of a double standard here. Interestingly (that you should bring up Dr. No), I *do* think something's not completely right w/ the Dr. No BD -- and have mentioned it once or twice somewhere on this forum (probably on one of the review threads). Honestly, I do think Dr. No has been slightly overcooked in places w/ DNR and/or contrast tweaks and/or sharpening -- and IIRC, even RAH mentioned very briefly that he wonders if something wasn't slightly overcooked at times. There are definitely a few shots/scenes where it looks a bit unnatural (and un-film-like) to me. But it's nothing distracting enough for me to go on an extended rant about. :P However, it apparently bothers you (and most others) not at all...

To each his own I guess...

_Man_

rich_d

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich
Unless I missed it, there seems to be the "sound of silence" on the audio problems from Disney.

For those that felt that Disney would be quick to address the issue and possibly remedy the problems ... what say you now?

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
I never said they'd be quick about it. They DO however, have a history of re-pressing problem dvds and setting up replacement programs. That can't be denied.

bob kaplan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
bob kaplan
i do wish Disney would at least comment on whether a correction might be considered...or if they are content with the discs as the exist. i do miss the dialog.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
As is almost always the case, I'm sure there are legal reasons for their silence. After all, if they make a statement and then for some corporate reason the terms change I'm sure they could be sued, in theory. Therefore, better to say nothing until a solid plan is in place.

Bubble

Auditioning
Real Name
Art
Hello,

It's me again.
I've thought things up once again.
I would like to write I am very sorry for my vulgar and rude critics
about the Pinocchio Blu-Ray edition.
I think it looks very impressive, is extremely detailed, sharp, clean, but
on the other hand we can even see the subtle paint brushes from
the animation drawings. It looks amazing.
The package is also the best, I think, Disney has made yet. I can't wait
for the Snow White Blu-Ray to be released. After all - these are my
favourite cartoons.

My best regards to everybody on the forum.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks