What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Pinocchio -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Well, my copy arrived yesterday and I'm looking forward to some free time later this week with the kids to sit down and watch this with them (they're quite keen on Pinocchio since my recent trip to Rome where I purchased some nice wooden, hand-made Pinocchio dolls for each of them). Believe it or not, it will be a first time experience for all of us as I've never seen this film in its entirety and they've not seen it at all. I suspect our "ignorance", judging from some of the comments in here, will serve us well in this case.

FredMihir

Auditioning
Real Name
FredMihir
blue ray has duel layer to storage huge amount of data

Last edited by a moderator:

Dave H

Senior HTF Member

Agreed. All of this sort of reminds me of a few people on another forum complaining the Godfather BDs had red color issues because it looked differently than their 480i DVDs which for whatever reason was their objective standard.

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
Personally, watching the film with my son was like watching it for the first time. Whilst I did notice the complete absence of film grain, what I noticed most was that with each scene, I felt like I was looking at a beautiful painting. It was jaw-dropping. There are times for nitpicking and there are times to just sit back and marvel that such a thing of beauty exists. In this case, I choose the latter.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
I approach HT software reviews the same way I approach expert evidence in my line of work, which is criminal prosecutions. Everyone is entitled to an opinion, but the weight I give that opinion is based on experience and expertise. RAH has both in abundance, but he's not going to nitpick every frame. He's going to tell me about the overall filmic experience as translated to BD. That's exactly what I'm looking for, and I think you hit it on the head when you referenced the approach of some people here and on some other sites. the minuteness of the approach is such that I fear they're getting into the mindset of looking for errors rather than enjoying the film with an understanding that, even in the age of HD, transfers will never perfectly replicate the original film. This is akin to the mindset of Pastor Gary Greenwald and others who preached against the evils of alleged "backward masking" in music recordings. You had to be told what to look for in order to find it, and once you did, you never heard songs like Stairway to Heaven and Another One Bites the Dust the same way again (even though it was later revealed that Greenwald & Co. had rerecorded the songs to emphasize the alleged Satanic messages, but that's a topic for another forum and another day.....)

In the Internet age, everyone is suddenly an expert, but most of them lack the credentials to back their opinions.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW

I think it's all (mostly) good to know. Just consider them all evidence to be factored in w/ appropriate weightings. However, one shouldn't lose sight of one's actual goal in all this. It's not good to miss the forest for a lone tree (or two). And yeah, I guess somethings are indeed better not known as they can actually ruin the experience to no particularly good end. :P

Still, we don't all have the exact same parameters for meeting our goal -- and then, some just have rather different goals too of course. :P

_Man_

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member

I watched the film twice projected on a 100" screen... once at my house and another time at my friend's. Both time it was a whole group of people watching, and not one person ever noticed the white/blotchy shirt issue. And we were viewing the image *big* in full 1080p via state-of-the-art gear.

After reading about that problem here, now I see it in the film. But it never was obvious before (unlike the missing dialog I noticed immediately).

Some problems are obvious and some aren't, and a lot depends on what you're looking for and how one watches the film. Even viewing with a critical eye on a wide-angle system doesn't mean that every issue will be immediately visible. That doesn't say anything bad about the viewing habits of folks who missed such problems, and neither does it suggest that folks who did notice the problem aren't right to bring it to our attention to help Disney improve their efforts on the next disc.

BCGHR2

Auditioning
Real Name
Herbert
OH lord - here we go again - self appointed know-it-alls who had nothing whatsoever to do with the restoration on PINOCCHIO but will tells us everything about how Disney butchers films and has flagrant disregard for the color and on and on. I had an opportunity to spend a few days with the team during the work on PINOCCHIO and I can tell you thathe amount of care, research and attention to detail that is brought to bear on these films is outright amazing. Do you honestly think that the money and man hours spent on these projects are willifully destructive and wrong? The fact that there are some very dedicated people who treasure that library and work their asses off to keep it in great shape havwe to look over their shoulders because the internet has given a platform to frustrated geeks who sit infront of their uncalibrated monitors in their parent's basements and post slanderous assumptions.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Thank you. I am expecting some to come running with comments that their monitors are calibrated and such, but they're missing the point.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I guess people should stop posting their opinions on this site, because to do so just invites slander and insults. At least the people who are supposedly uninformed, basement dwelling geeks have limited their "uninformed" observations to the film and not other posters.

Brian Borst

Screenwriter

Thanks for the kind words :rolleyes:. And no matter how much work was put into this restoration, there still are mistakes in this release. How much a viewer is bothered by it depends on the viewer, but it shouldn't be here. And if we can't discuss anything we weren't involved in, there isn't much we can talk about.

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug

Well said! There seems to be hardly any disc released nowadays without these home-based "experts" minutely examining every frame and dying to tell us all what's wrong with it.

rich_d

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich

My, my, my do we have someone channeling Theo Gluck before he says things? Let's look at some other options:

1. Someone working off Gluck's prepared notes or prior discussions
2. Gluck working off someone else's material
3. Perhaps a mashup, as the "Photographed in Technirama - Presented in Super Technirama 70" is in quotes in the RAH interview, perhaps an unnamed, unreferenced person is being quoted - possibly our mystery guest. After all, it matches word for word, capitalization to capitalization, hyphen to hyphen except for Mystery Guest's typo "Terchnirama."
4. Sweet mysteries of life at last I found you

Amazingly, our mystery guest weighs in on RAH's interview with Gluck saying "A very informative interview with an obviously informed individual who can make this all easy to understand. I am glad that some key points are made by someone who knows that Technirama is a 35mm format (I cannot believe how many reports on-line about this disc claim the film was shot in 70mm). "

If this all smells bad perhaps there is a reason other than the mildew in your mom's basement.

So, if it walks like a Gluck, talks like a Gluck ... is it a Gluck? I don't know and I don't really care. The key point to me is that this whole thing smacks of shadowy relationships culminating in unprofessional behavior that does a disservice to Disney and all honorable people that work there.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Perhaps possibility #5: this is an insider other than Gluck who actually knows something about film and is making the exact same point that I was making: Disney's restoration team work their a$$es off to give us a superior product, only to have fanboys with their freeze frames and frame grabs crap all over it. He's understandably frustrated.

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Do the same frame by frame "analysts" go to the cinema and request a "frame by frame" showing to ensure there are no imperfections? The studios should strive for no errors, but if it cannot be seen (or is a 2 sec or under "blip") in the course of watching the movie at full speed, is it really a sign of the apocalypse?

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
I'm someone who's as outraged by excessive DNR, EE, etc. (which no one has complained about being present on this disc) as anybody, but at some point, the nitpicking does seem to go overboard. Really, who outside of the studio has hard objective knowledge of what the colors, etc. are supposed to look like?

rich_d

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich

Yeah, that's a very real possibility, 'hey theatre owner I just watched the film, could you do some frame grabs for me?"

I will say that someone that runs a theatre posted some frame grabs on this board regarding an OAR discussion and all he got for his trouble was people lecturing him about projection masking. I haven't notice that he posted any frame grabs after that. Wonder why?

Meanwhile we have DVD featurettes telling us about films that are 'restored' with the work done frame-by-frame yet posters being dumped on for using technology to show these problems. Also, posters conveniently ignore that whole clips have been posted showing color issues, sharing that the problems are viewable as the movie is rolling and not a 1/24 of a second issue. But people ignore what they want to ignore.

If Disney would make a featurette showing the digitized non-manipulated negative for Peter Pan and the original cells that show that changing the Indians skin from red to brown is supported by fact versus social issues (i.e., politically correct manipulation) I'm ready with the popcorn. But I am getting older and it's pretty cold down here in the basement. Mom ... the meatloaf!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks