What's new

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I enjoyed Phantom Lady this afternoon. Love this kind of movie where an unjustly accused man must somehow beat the odds to save himself (or in this case, the girl who loves him throws caution to the wind for the man she loves). I thought Franchot Tone overdid the madness just a bit near the end (which no one else around him seems to take notice of), but otherwise the performances are very engaging especially Ella and Alan Curtis.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I enjoyed Phantom Lady this afternoon. Love this kind of movie where an unjustly accused man must somehow beat the odds to save himself (or in this case, the girl who loves him throws caution to the wind for the man she loves). I thought Franchot Tone overdid the madness just a bit near the end (which no one else around him seems to take notice of), but otherwise the performances are very engaging especially Ella and Alan Curtis.
Speaking of Ella Raines, I'm going to watch another of her films "Impact" (1949) with Brian Donlevy. This is on the TCM app and another opportunity to watch this fine film noir type movie again. I hope it's a better presentation than my 2000 Image DVD. Another case of a good movie from a small company without a major studio behind it today. As Eddie Muller has stated more than a few times, the number of such films is huge and unfortunate at the same time.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
I enjoyed the Blu-ray. I love Ella Raines and Elisha Cook, Jr. and I love the whole feel of the film and Siodmak's direction. But while I have great fondness for it, the book is so much better in the way it handles the villain - in the film they may as well flashed a neon sign on the screen - "VILLAIN." It's a real problem and the book is much, much better and more surprising. I'll never understand why screenwriters think they're better at structure and characters than the author who wrote the book and did it perfectly.

david hare

Supporting Actor
Real Name
david hare
I kind of like the dreamlike way the villain is more or less announced to us earlier in the movie than he is to the heroine. SIodmak is interested not only in the madman aspect of Tone's character (He is but one of a whole back cast of crazy and corrupt people including some of the cops) And also the completely blinded dedication of Ella to the pursuit for a man who seems realtively unworthy. It's the greatest "girl in peril" Noir to me. In many ways it's also like the oneiric Dark Passage about which I am nuts.They're both off kilter, and not really realistic at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks