What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Patton (take two) -- in Blu-Ray (1 Viewer)

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
This incessant scouring the image for grain is so antiproductive to watching a motion picture, especially one from a 65mm element in which you should not see much grain, if any, at all. It was the point of shooting in that format - the least amount of grain for the sharpest and most clear image. It's a gorgeous transfer, IMO, and looks very much like the film looked back in the day - terrific. You can never replicate the 65mm experience at home, but, for me, it's a beauty. The detail and clarity are breathtaking at times.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
haineshisway said:
This incessant scouring the image for grain is so antiproductive to watching a motion picture, especially one from a 65mm element in which you should not see much grain, if any, at all. It was the point of shooting in that format - the least amount of grain for the sharpest and most clear image. It's a gorgeous transfer, IMO, and looks very much like the film looked back in the day - terrific. You can never replicate the 65mm experience at home, but, for me, it's a beauty. The detail and clarity are breathtaking at times.
What some readers may not realize, is that Patton was two full generations newer than Lawrence, when it came to film stocks. While Lawrence was shot on Eastman 5250, Patton was 5254, a far more modern stock, with a finer grain pattern.
RAH

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
haineshisway said:
Sir: I was merely trying to establish whether or not I had the correct edition. I did not mean to suggest I did not like how it appeared. I think it looks very nice.

Oblivion138

Second Unit
Real Name
James O'Blivion
I'm sure you've got the right edition. If it looks "very nice," it's the remastered release. The original release looked dreadful...at least to my eye.
While screenshots only tell a part of the story with any transfer, it would be foolish to discount the part of the story they do tell. And if ever there was a telling comparison:
http://caps-a-holic.com/hd_vergleiche/comparison.php?&cID=1381&action=&x=&y=&art=&image=0&gamma=&cap1=16385&cap2=16375&lossless=1#auswahl

John Stockton

Second Unit
I have the original disc from the first pressing, unopened. So no exchange program from Fox regarding this release??

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by John Stockton /t/325116/a-few-words-about-patton-take-two-in-blu-ray#post_4006464
I have the original disc from the first pressing, unopened. So no exchange program from Fox regarding this release??
There is no exchange program!

Crawdaddy

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I watched this tonight and it looked very good. However, it still contained some edge enhancement or ringing.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Dave H said:
I watched this tonight and it looked very good. However, it still contained some edge enhancement or ringing.
Not all outlines are from edge enhancement, some are optical effects amplified by EE. Looking very good indeed and I appreciate it that Fox revisited Patton, other titles that are less than stellar did not get a makeover.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
OliverK said:
Not all outlines are from edge enhancement, some are optical effects amplified by EE. Looking very good indeed and I appreciate it that Fox revisited Patton, other titles that are less than stellar did not get a makeover.
How do you determine the difference between an optical defect and EE?

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Dave H said:
How do you determine the difference between an optical defect and EE?
A good indicator is that the "ringing" looks more like a diffuse "aura" and and tapering off in intensity: http://www.caps-a-holic.com/hd_vergleiche/comparison.php?art=part&action=1&image=2&cID=1381&cap1=16387&cap2=16377&lossless=&x=737&y=235#vergleich I would not call it a defect by the way, you can also see it in film prints, first noticed that in a screening of a 70mm print of Lawrence of Arabia and then The Last Valley and most obvious in both intensity and frequency in Krakatoa East of Java, all 70mm prints. I would guess that what normally happens is that movies get sharpened to some degree on their way to Blu-Ray and these optical effects get to be a bit more prominent. Here is an example of classic EE: Look at the Metal above the windshield which has a nice and even halo between it and the sky: http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/screenshot.php?movieid=414&position=17 No tapering and even intensity plus the reduced detail is a good giveaway that EE was used to give the image some pop, both the lesser WB UP70 releases (Mutiny on the Bounty and Battle of the Bulge) have rather mediocre detail and they also have a filtered look for whatever reason and Warner apparently decided to give BoB a little "help" - with not so pleasing results imo.

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
Would Universal PLEASE break down and finally do this for SPARTACUS? Even the early "bad" PATTON BD looked fabulous compared to the ugly stinking mess our beloved gladiator's been scandalously relegated to.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Spartacus would also be near the top of my list and number one when it comes to titles held by a major studio. Seeing how Universal has treated the large format Hitchcock movies I would rather want to wait a little more though before they really know what they are doing - next time Spartacus better be REALLY good and not just OK like Vertigo.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
Concerning a reissue of Spartacus from Universal, I don’t know if that will happen, they were fine to include it in the WB Kubrick set, but the saving grace is that Universal has their agreement with Criterion, how long after Fear and Loathing, Brazil, Traffic, or Dazed and Confused get their Criterion release on Blu, that would be the best possible chance to see this done correctly, and I for one am hoping that announcement happens this year.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
dana martin said:
Concerning a reissue of Spartacus from Universal, I don’t know if that will happen, they were fine to include it in the WB Kubrick set, but the saving grace is that Universal has their agreement with Criterion, how long after Fear and Loathing, Brazil, Traffic, or Dazed and Confused get their Criterion release on Blu, that would be the best possible chance to see this done correctly, and I for one am hoping that announcement happens this year.  
It is higly unlikely that Criterion would pay their way here and why should they? This movie belongs to Universal and they will reap the benefits of it being redone properly all over the world and for a very long time IF they do it. Personally and with the current state of affairs I would rather see them selling it to another studio that knows how to treat its classics right but that obviously is wishful thinking.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Originally Posted by OliverK
It is higly unlikely that Criterion would pay their way here and why should they? This movie belongs to Universal and they will reap the benefits of it being redone properly all over the world and for a very long time IF they do it. Personally and with the current state of affairs I would rather see them selling it to another studio that knows how to treat its classics right but that obviously is wishful thinking.
Agreed.
RAH

MarkA

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark Abel
I bought the remastered Patton a few months ago, but today I bought a 4 Blu-ray combo pack of: Patton, The Longest Day, The Sand Pebbles, and Tora! Tora! Tora!
Does anyone know if it is the remastered version of Patton in this release? I called the 800 number on the back of the Blu-ray but they said they don't have this information.
Thanks much.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
MarkA said:
I bought the remastered Patton a few months ago, but today I bought a 4 Blu-ray combo pack of: Patton, The Longest Day, The Sand Pebbles, and Tora! Tora! Tora!
Does anyone know if it is the remastered version of Patton in this release? I called the 800 number on the back of the Blu-ray but they said they don't have this information.
Thanks much.
Best to return. Longest Day is unwatchable.

RAH

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
I wouldn't suspect it for one minute of being the new one in a pack like that. (It would have to blatantly say it is.)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks