What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Patton -- in Blu-Ray (1 Viewer)

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Now if only they'd have an upgrade price/trade-in rebate for those of us who bought the previous BD... :D

JamesNelson

Second Unit
Real Name
James Nelson
I actually pity my old BD of Patton, by God I do. When the new BD arrives, I'm not only going to shoot the old one. I'm going to cut out its living guts and use them to grease the treads of my BD player.

rayman1701

Second Unit
Real Name
Ray Miller
I was just looking thru the Amazon upcoming releases and they have a link up for a new Patton Blu-ray for November 6th. Hopefully it is the re-do and it will finally look good. Here's the link: http://www.amazon.com/Patton-Blu-ray/dp/B009A87ZKG/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=1VRDJDULBM5SQ&coliid=IQO62IOIP4KAC

Reed Grele

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Reed Grele
rayman1701 said:
I was just looking thru the Amazon upcoming releases and they have a link up for a new Patton Blu-ray for November 6th.  Hopefully it is the re-do and it will finally look good.  Here's the link:   http://www.amazon.com/Patton-Blu-ray/dp/B009A87ZKG/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=1VRDJDULBM5SQ&coliid=IQO62IOIP4KAChttp://www.assoc-amazon.com/e/ir?t=hometheaterforum-20&l=ur2&o=1
Wow! What a nice birthday present this will be (assuming of course that all of the problems of the old BD are properly dealt with this time around.)
Ron, Will this link to the Amazon site give proper credit to the HTF? If not, perhaps you could add one so that it will.

lukejosephchung

Screenwriter
Real Name
Luke J. Chung
Originally Posted by Ronald Epstein /t/272830/a-few-words-about-patton-in-blu-ray/540#post_3974751
Reed,

Any link launched from this site to Amazon should
give us credit, but just in case...

http://www.amazon.com/Patton-Blu-ray/dp/B009A87ZKG/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=1VRDJDULBM5SQ&coliid=IQO62IOIP4KAC

Appreciate you looking out for us, Reed. Thanks.
Ordered this from the first Amazon link on this thread, Ron...not only for myself, but multiple copies for friends/family members who are big fans of this WW2 classic. Kudos and thanks to you, Robert and our friends at Fox for campaigning and working long and hard for making this finally happen for home theater fanatics like us who've waited so long for this title to finally receive its proper treatment in HD!!!

DP 70

Screenwriter
Real Name
Derek
It has been announced on Digital Bits, i already have the Blu twice in a Elite case and Digi Book will i buy it again of course,fantasic film.

lukejosephchung

Screenwriter
Real Name
Luke J. Chung
It has also been confirmed by Fox executive James Finn at this very website on another thread...this is the remastered edition of "Patton" without the excessive DNR and overprocessing that plagued the original blu-ray release and scrubbed all the detail away from the 65mm OCN scan, which many of us have been waiting years for!!!

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Originally Posted by lukejosephchung /t/272830/a-few-words-about-patton-in-blu-ray/540#post_3975633
It has also been confirmed by Fox executive James Finn at this very website on another thread...this is the remastered edition of "Patton" without the excessive DNR and overprocessing that plagued the original blu-ray release and scrubbed all the detail away from the 65mm OCN scan, which many of us have been waiting years for!!!

Presuming this will be the work of Fox's Schawn Belston, it should be beautiful.

A safe pre-order.

RAH

lukejosephchung

Screenwriter
Real Name
Luke J. Chung
Originally Posted by Robert Harris /t/272830/a-few-words-about-patton-in-blu-ray/540#post_3976216

Presuming this will be the work of Fox's Schawn Belston, it should be beautiful.

A safe pre-order.

RAH
I've already done so at Amazon, Robert...I'm looking forward to seeing the results on November 6th!!!

Felix Martinez

Screenwriter
Real Name
Felix E. Martinez
Just watched the remaster, projected on a 92in screen. It's gorgeous. Just wow.
What struck me as I was watching it was just how unnecessary the use of DNR was in the 2008 release.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Felix Martinez said:
Just watched the remaster, projected on a 92in screen. It's gorgeous. Just wow. What struck me as I was watching it was just how unnecessary the use of DNR was in the 2008 release.
I watched it last night too via a front projector and I thought the same thing. The grain is not prominent anyway.

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
The grain isn't prominent because DNR was used to even it out, to my eyes. Patton used to have some grainy scenes scattered about it but no more. The new BD is very much improved though.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Anything shot in 65mm would have only the finest of grain - I don't think any smoothing out has been done - I think you are seeing what 65mm negative looks like when lovingly transferred to Blu-ray.

haineshisway said:
Anything shot in 65mm would have only the finest of grain - I don't think any smoothing out has been done - I think you are seeing what 65mm negative looks like when lovingly transferred to Blu-ray.
100% agreed

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
eric scott richard said:
What are the menus like on this? Are they the same as the previous version?
Everything appears to be identical, down to the c. 2008 trailer, which I find very odd.
RAH

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks