What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Patton -- in Blu-Ray (1 Viewer)

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
PaulDA said:
If that were a regular occurrence locally, I might opt for that--but it's not.
Same here about the regular occurence. I might be mistaken but I guess that the last time that the new 70mm print of Patton was screened around here was 2005.
So this will probably have to do for quite some time
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Paul, I agree with your assessment, too. While the image does seem somewhat overprocessed, it was not enough to take me out of the film. I bought this sight unseen during an Amazon sale. Patton is one of my favorite films, so I did not even think about checking reviews before upgrading to the BluRay.
As you said, while the transfer could certainly be better, it's still an improvement over the SD-DVD.

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
OliverK said:
Same here about the regular occurence. I might be mistaken but I guess that the last time that the new 70mm print of Patton was screened around here was 2005.
So this will probably have to do for quite some time
I'm not sure it's ever been screened around here--I'd rather have a flawed Patton than no Patton. After all, I've been watching my SD copy with some regularity and enjoying it. I do understand the disappointment, particularly that of people like RAH who are knowledgeable enough to truly know how much better it could have been. But, as I have with music, during the past 18 months or so, I've gradually (and grudgingly) come to accept that my eyes and ears are no longer as "sharp" as they once were (I've not been blessed with many good physical attributes, but my vision and hearing--according to my doctor--were once exceptional. They remain better than average for my age but in the past couple of years I've noticed a decline for each.). As such, while I still try to get the best quality audio and video (for a price I consider reasonable), I've changed the balance of "critical" viewing/listening (format/gear oriented) vs. enjoying the material (content oriented) to one that is more forgiving of shortcomings than it would have been even a short while ago.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
PaulDA said:
. After all, I've been watching my SD copy with some regularity and enjoying it.
The Blu-Ray is an improvement over the DVD and the best version available on home media, so enjoy it as long as it is the best version available to you

It seems to me that some members feel the need to kind of justify the purchase of Patton despite its flaws and that should not be the case. As it is there is no better representation of the movie available right now on consumer media and not all of us are so critical of picture quality and/or have the viewing environment to even notice certain problems. And while one can always hope it would be my guess that it will take a few years until Fox revisits this title.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
OliverK said:
The Blu-Ray is an improvement over the DVD and the best version available on home media
I would be fine with that if DVD was my reference for visual quality. In the age of high def, though, it isn't. Film is the reference. We know studios can do much better, and we know they have. I'll hold them to that standard.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
RobertR said:
studios can do much better, and we know they have. I'll hold them to that standard.
Yes, the studios can definitely do better but that does not help much if you want to watch Patton in your home theater on a disc. How the West was won for example looks stunning but thatis not of much help when the movie I want to watch is Patton ;)
So while I would not want to watch the Blu-ray of Patton in my setup, as it would not be an enjoyable experience to me, I have no problems with others who do.

Heinz W

Second Unit
OliverK said:
Yes, the studios can definitely do better but that does not help much if you want to watch Patton in your home theater on a disc. How the West was won for example looks stunning but thatis not of much help when the movie I want to watch is Patton ;)
Exactly. I know it can be better. I know it SHOULD be better. I don't appreciate the smeariness that is fairly apparent in a number of scenes, I hate it. But my love for this movie far exceeds the shortcomings of this BD presentation. The are several movies I will automatically buy again when a better version is released, even if it's not a reference disc. Patton is one of them.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Yeah it's a fine line. We screened that disc at the HTF meet in L.A. 2008, and I have to say most of us in the room (whose opinions I respect) were kind of all on the same wavelength: Yeah, it could and should look better, but bottom line is that most people who didn't see this film in the theater--and that's most people nowadays--really wouldn't know what they were missing.
On one hand you don't want to reward the overprocessing that was done to this title. But on the other hand, if you love the film and want to watch it in the best available format, what choice do you really have? This title won't move numbers like The Dark Knight, so does a handful of people on the HTF holding out on this title really make us think that the studio will suddenly be moved to revisit this title? The optimist in my hopes "yes" the realist in me says "don't hold your breath".

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
RobertR said:
I would be fine with that if DVD was my reference for visual quality. In the age of high def, though, it isn't. Film is the reference.
I keep reading comments that film is the reference for visual quality. I find this quite odd because when I visit my modern local multiplex cinema, the picture invariably looks less sharp and less bright than DVD, never mind Blu-ray!

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Douglas R said:
I keep reading comments that film is the reference for visual quality. I find this quite odd because when I visit my modern local multiplex cinema, the picture invariably looks less sharp and less bright than DVD, never mind Blu-ray!
Reference quality for film equates to:
1. A quality projector, properly tuned
2. A properly aligned optical system as well as top optics
3. 16 footlamberts on a clean screen with flat field
4. A qualified projectionist who knows what he or she is doing
5. A clean, properly produced 35mm print
6. An audio system up to standards
When those elements begin to fail, home theater can yield a better, albeit smaller reproduction.
As far as Patton is concerned, Fox has the ability to make the situation easy and palatable, as it isn't going to go away. A simple press release from Fox offering new Blu-ray discs when the film is released properly to all current and future customers desirous of upgrading. This would allow consumers to purchase and use the current problematic version with no downside.
RAH

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Carlo Medina said:
This title won't move numbers like The Dark Knight, so does a handful of people on the HTF holding out on this title really make us think that the studio will suddenly be moved to revisit this title?
Well... a handful of people on the HTF would certainly make no difference in the sales figures of TDK. So, perhaps, with this title it would be noticeable, if ever.

Cees

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
I watched Patton last night on my 32" LCD. It looked like a reg-lar BD. On my 58" RP it looks like excrement. I don't wanna even see it again, big.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Robert Harris said:
As far as Patton is concerned, Fox has the ability to make the situation easy and palatable, as it isn't going to go away. A simple press release from Fox offering new Blu-ray discs when the film is released properly to all current and future customers desirous of upgrading. This would allow consumers to purchase and use the current problematic version with no downside.
RAH
That would be the classy thing to do. I was very impressed when Sony did something very similar with the Fifth Element.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
OliverK said:
That would be the classy thing to do. I was very impressed when Sony did something very similar with the Fifth Element.
IMHO, it would also not be a terribly expensive thing to do. From discussions with others that have offered replacement, seldom is there ever a request from more than 200 - 300 consumers.
This would create far more good will than the cost of the discs, shipping, etc.
RAH

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Agreed. However Sony has a hardware interest whereas Fox doesn't. That is why I wasn't surprised at Sony's move, but would be surprised if Fox did it. I'm hoping to be pleasantly surprised... ;)

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Robert Harris said:
IMHO, it would also not be a terribly expensive thing to do. From discussions with others that have offered replacement, seldom is there ever a request from more than 200 - 300 consumers.
This would create far more good will than the cost of the discs, shipping, etc.
RAH
Just so I understand--are you saying Fox plans to release "fixed" discs going forward (so that the current flawed ones will simply be exhausted in inventory) and you want them to offer such "fixed" discs to those who've already purchased the original release OR are you saying Fox SHOULD release "fixed" discs going forward and offer them as replacements? I suspect the latter (or I would have seen much cause for celebration in these parts) but if it is the former, I will hold off on purchasing a BD of Patton.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Paul,
I'm not RAH, apparently, but I think he suggests that a press release from Fox, saying that, whenever they will bring out a new and improved version of Patton (which is not scheduled at the moment), they will grant a free exchange for anyone presenting the current BD of that title, would not only generate a lot of good will towards Fox, but may also immediately increase the sales of the currently released BD.
How's that for a long sentence!

Cees

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Fox is gonna what? If they're gonna do this there must be a rational explanation, yes. Surely a team of audio-vidiots must have gone down to Fox to take hostages or somethin' for this thing to happen? Anybody know who the "A" team members are who accomplished this? What other explanation can there be. This is Fox...yeah baby, I'll crap my pants when they do something nice.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Whoa, this is how internet rumors get started.
Nothing in RAH's post even remotely suggests that Fox is contemplating doing this, let alone actually doing this. He is only suggesting a way that Fox could placate those who are angered over the BD they've already purchased, should a new, corrected version come out.

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
....stille good, no crap in my pants yet!

Fox.....imagine that....yes.

NAH! This is Fox, how stupid of me to even dream that....

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks