What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Patriots Day -- in 4k UHD Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Patriots Day didn't work for me.

And it's probably all to do with the script, which places Mark Wahlberg, front and center, at virtually every event that occurred during the tragedy.

It got me thinking about Nicolas Koline, as Tristan Fleuri, who turns up in many sequences of Gance's Napoleon, as a kind of everyman.

The film has now been released by Lionsgate on 4k UHD with HDR, and while I had no problem viewing it on DVD, with the exception of a few sequences, and some aerial night shots, it appears decidedly murky.

We've arrived at a point in time where 4k releases should be simply falling into place, and that still doesn't seem to be happening.

I have no idea what's going on, but I don't believe that it's my setup, which I acknowledge has acted up in the past.

For those who can't wait to relive the terror attack, this is the film for you. I give first responders all of the huge credit that they deserve, along with the citizens of Boston. Possibly if the film oriented itself more in that direction.

Audio is fine, presented via DTS-X.

Image - 3

Audio - 5 (Dolby Atmos)

Pass / Fail - Pass

RAH

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I thought it was a good film, but that's my opinion. Anyhow, my 4K/UHD disc is on Pre-order so I'll check it out to see if my HT setup is displaying the issues you noted.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
I found it offensive. It turns a recent horrific tragedy into a big noisy Die Hard action movie (and not a good copy at that). Wahlberg's character is fictional but it places him in actual situations with real people. What this needed was something like Paul Greengrass's superb 9/11 drama United 93 which took a more documentary approach rather than a Mark Wahlberg Hollywood blockbuster. The film underperformed at the box office which only proves you can fool some of the people some of the time but ..... well, you know the rest :)

Last edited:

gadgtfreek

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason
Its amusing, Deepwater Horizon was popular and could be classified as offensive for your same reasons, yet people take issue with this because of the Boston Bombings. Funny how people's minds work.

Helpless runners blown up, offensive subject, dirty oil rig workers blown up, great action flick...

FYI, on RT

84 critic and 83 audience for DW Horizon.

80 and 88 for Patriots Day.

Box office for P's Day did not help it was slap up against Rogue One.

Last edited:

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I thought it was a good film, but that's my opinion.

I liked "PD" a LOT - I thought it avoided the "disaster movie" feel of "Deepwater" and became a good exploration of events.

Yeah, it puts the fictional Wahlberg character in the middle of the action much of the time, but I don't think it's a "slam-bang" action flick.

I think it's respectful and really quite moving...

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Its amusing, Deepwater Horizon was popular and could be classified as offensive for your same reasons, yet people take issue with this because of the Boston Bombings. Funny how people's minds work.

Helpless runners blown up, offensive subject, dirty oil rig workers blown up, great action flick...

FYI, on RT

84 critic and 83 audience for DW Horizon.

80 and 88 for Patriots Day.

Box office for P's Day did not help it was slap up against Rogue One.

I suppose it all comes down to the whole "eye of the beholder" thing. I found Patriots Day exploited a terrorist attack for pure entertainment value. The fact that they had to fictionalize some of the story (I suspect some viewers thought Mark Wahlberg's character was a real person) only shows that they couldn't come up with an "honest" version of the story. Deepwater Horizon (which was also a box office failure) showed how corporate greed put workers' lives at risk. Not quite the same thing though to the best of my knowledge Horizon didn't create any fictional characters and place them at the story's center.

For the record, I'm not totally against using fictional characters in stories about real tragedies. The fictional lovers played by Di Capiro and Winslet in Titanic for example. But the story of the Titanic tragedy was used as a backdrop (much as the Civil War was used as a backdrop for the romance in Gone With The Wind which wasn't about the Civil War) though I can see how others could see the Titanic tragedy as being exploited. But then again, it had been over 70 years since the tragedy. It's been only 3 years between the Boston bombing and the film coming out.

Last edited:

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I suppose it all comes down to the whole "eye of the beholder" thing. I found Patriots Day exploited a terrorist attack for pure entertainment value. The fact that they had to fictionalize some of the story (I suspect some viewers thought Mark Wahlberg's character was a real person) only shows that they couldn't come up with an "honest" version of the story. Deepwater Horizon (which was also a box office failure) showed how corporate greed put workers' lives at risk. Not quite the same thing though to the best of my knowledge Horizon didn't create any fictional characters and place them at the story's center.

For the record, I'm not totally against using fictional characters in stories about real tragedies. The fictional lovers played by Di Capiro and Winslet in Titanic for example. But the story of the Titanic tragedy was used as a backdrop (much as the Civil War was used as a backdrop for the romance in Gone With The Wind which wasn't about the Civil War) though I can see how others could see the Titanic tragedy as being exploited. But then again, it had been over 70 years since the tragedy. It's been only 3 years between the Boston bombing and the film coming out.
I haven't seen the movie so I won't comment on exploitation or not. I do think it's a valid storytelling device to use one fictional character to guide the audience thru a complex situation. It might be harder to follow the plot when there is not one character to follow.

I'll wait until I see the movie before commenting further.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I haven't seen the movie so I won't comment on exploitation or not. I do think it's a valid storytelling device to use one fictional character to guide the audience thru a complex situation. It might be harder to follow the plot when there is not one character to follow.

I'll wait until I see the movie before commenting further.

I admit I thought the film overused the Wahlberg character, as it seemed coincidental that he tended to be "in the action" all of the time.

Still, I feel the movie did justice to events and honored those killed/injured.

As mentioned, I had some qualms about the "popcorn movie" treatment in "Deepwater Horizon", where I didn't feel the losses, but I thought "PD" had a substantial emotional impact based on the real material, not the fictional characters...

gadgtfreek

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason
Watched on UHD last night. Enjoyed the movie, the PQ was very good and the AQ was outstanding.

Michael Osadciw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Osadciw
I haven't watched it yet. Picked it up and was hoping to catch the Trent Reznor/Atticus Ross soundtrack in action. The 3-CD set of The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo soundtrack is epic drone music. Love it!

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I haven't watched it yet. Picked it up and was hoping to catch the Trent Reznor/Atticus Ross soundtrack in action. The 3-CD set of The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo soundtrack is epic drone music. Love it!

Hey, Michael! Welcome home! Haven't seen you around these pages in a while!

:welcome:

And to be on topic...I have yet to watch my copy of Patriot's Day either! :angry:

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I watched it on blu. I thought it was good and not offensive at all. Wahlbergs character tho was annoying and the film would have been better without that fictionalized character. I believe it was pretty accurate in its portrayal of what happened that day.

Michael Osadciw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Osadciw
Hi Mike - hey! It's been a while. Life has taken some twists and turns all for the better. It's nice to be home again!! You'll see me around much more. I'm deep into UHD Blu-ray. OMG 2K master or 4K master, what an amazing home video experience!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks