Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I'm going to be the naysayer here.

I hated Parasite.

I thought that it started off well -- a bit of McCarey, a bit of Lubitsch, a touch of Bunuel...

And then, I guess a bit after the hour mark, it fell apart for me, and had me thinking that it went into production with neither a completed screenplay, nor an idea of where it was going.

Akin to Joker, it turns into an extremely unpleasant and nihilistic drama.

As a Blu-ray, like all of Universal's new products, it's fine, although, as a true 4k production, I wonder why, especially after it won some awards or other, it's not a 4k release. Possibly that will go to Criterion.

The film has been certified "Fresh," by Rotten Tomatoes...

Image – 5

Audio – 5 (DTS-HD MA 5.1)

Pass / Fail – Pass

RAH

<

Last edited by a moderator:

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I had the same reaction. Two different films joined together. Both were good, but the massive left-turn in tone lessened the movie

I know others who had similar reactions.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Wasn’t sure if this was one of RAH’s sarcastic posts.

I loved Parasite. Deserves all the acclaim and awards it has received. An instant classic imo. Tremendous entertainment.

Fritzl Dog

Auditioning
Real Name
Chuck
Thank you Mr. Harris. I feel somewhat vindicated. The first half of the film had me riveted with the momentum of the screenplay building along the way. Then, events unfolded that were entirely heat-scratching.
A young man winds-up hospitalized from a crushing head blow; is at first brain damaged beyond normal speech; and finally, we see him quite normal as he's communicating with his phone. Logic tells me that his character should of been DOA. The movie - after a promising start - sure was for me!

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
Disagree. Palm d’Or winner- a true original. A classic. Not a rehash like 99.99% of what’s out there. And superbly directed. Well deserving of everything it received unlike Shape of Water, Billboards, The Artist, and Roma etc.
I agree with your first statement about PARASITE, but the films you listed were actually pretty original themselves. Those weren’t rehashes at all.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Thank you Mr. Harris. I feel somewhat vindicated. The first half of the film had me riveted with the momentum of the screenplay building along the way. Then, events unfolded that were entirely heat-scratching.
A young man winds-up hospitalized from a crushing head blow; is at first brain damaged beyond normal speech; and finally, we see him quite normal as he's communicating with his phone. Logic tells me that his character should of been DOA. The movie - after a promising start - sure was for me!

A spoiler tag would have been nice. :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
No film is going to connect with everyone. I thought Parasite was great, but don't get me started on Terence Malick or Paul Thomas Anderson.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
By the way. This amazing Parasite is available in 4K/UHD/HDR on iTunes vudu and other streaming platforms. It’s currently $14.99 but will drop to $9.99 or below soon as is usual.

It looks terrific. Much better than the Blu Ray.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
As a Blu-ray, like all of Universal's new products, it's fine, although, as a true 4k production, I wonder why, especially after it won some awards or other, it's not a 4k release. Possibly that will go to Criterion.
Is Criterion planning on 4K releases??

Mark VH

Second Unit
How can an opinion be a vindication?

The critical groupthink on this one was pretty strong (99 percent on Rotten Tomatoes), which may have led some cinephiles to think there might be something wrong with them for not seeing what all the fuss was about. Hence, it's perfectly natural to see other people feeling the same way as permission to not "get it" or, to use the writer's language, vindication.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks