What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Pan's Labyrinth -- in HD & BD (1 Viewer)

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member

I think that point has already been established. For example, in the comparison above I can see a difference, and it is 'meaningful' to me. It would appear that it isn't for others. Additionally, I would also say the differences are more striking when playing both discs during an A-B comparison. The still images only give you an idea of the difference.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
From what I'm seeing in comparisons, I would prefer the untainted. What we have on BD may have been prepared for SD and BD, with the attempt to serve a dual purpose.

This does not always work.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Now that I have an HD display, I'm gonna check out the HD DVD this weekend, but in looking at the captures, I'm in agreement with RAH. No wax dummies to see here; move along.

Geoff_D

Supporting Actor
Well, I do see a noticeable difference so I'm glad I stuck with the UK version, and the plain ol' 5.1 audio sounds magnificent. It's no match for the lossless 7.1 on the US release but I don't think I've heard a better lossy soundtrack. Let that be of some consolation to those who go for the UK disc.

However you get it though, you have to see this film if you haven't already.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
From a few of thost screenshots comparing the UK & US Pans, the UK certainly retains more grain and yet I also noticed a slightly better contrast on the US version though. Blacks were just a tad blacker. :)

Bleddyn Williams

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bleddyn Williams
That example is brutal! Those who have HD DVD capability can pick up the UK disc for under $16 from dvd.co.uk right now. I ordered one.

Actually - reading more on this, apparently the UK BD & HD DVD are separate encodes, with the HD DVD version having DNR just like the US version.

Of course, checking my order its now "In dispatch" so I will have to return it rather than simply being able to cancel.

- sigh -

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks