What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Pal Joey -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by David_B_K
Another plus: Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab is in the process of releasing 8 of Sinatra's Capitol albums in Hybrid SACD format. So far, the only one that has shipped is Where Are You? in the original mono mix.
Thanks for that news, David! That is a dream come true. AFAIK, the only high-rez Sinatra audio release has been the DVD-A of Sinatra at the Sands. But I wouldn't be surprised if I was wrong about that.
Do you have a link to any information about those releases?

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Mike, here is some info:
7c5f7826_sinatra1.jpeg
0b53a5a4_sinatra3.jpeg
I pre-ordered from Music Direct. So far, I have received Where Are You? in mono. sounds great. Come Fly With Me will also be the (superior) mono mix.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
David_B_K said:
As a Sinatra fan, I feel a bit guilty that I have not been voting for Can-Can (I've been voting for The Agony and the Ecstasy). However, on the plus side, the HDNET Movies channel has been showing a nice HD master of the film; so it may be good to go if they green-light a release. Another thing to consider: 2015 will be (incredibly) the Sinatra centenary year. So, there may be some 100th birthday goodies coming out then. Another plus: Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab is in the process of releasing 8 of Sinatra's Capitol albums in Hybrid SACD format. So far, the only one that has shipped is Where Are You? in the original mono mix.
Where Are You was Sinatra's first stereo album. I would be interested in hearing Sinatra albums on SACD.

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Robin9 said:
Where Are You was Sinatra's first stereo album. I would be interested in hearing Sinatra albums on SACD.
While it was the first Sinatra album recorded and released in stereo, the mono release of Where Are You? was the actual first release. Keep in mind that stereo was quite new on the scene (at least for pop music), and the engineers at Capitol were more adept at mono recording. Their early stereo albums were almost afterthoughts at that time. So, while Where Are You? did receive a stereo release, the real 'A' version of the album is the mono. The original stereo album lacked the song I Cover the Waterfront, which for some reason was only recorded in mono, and thus left off the stereo album. So, Mofi has released the mono version of Where Are You? as it is considered the real original. The next two albums at Capitol, Come Fly With Me and Only the Lonely are also better in mono. The mono and stereo versions were recorded simultaneously*. A multi-mike setup was used for the mono albums, and a 3-mike setup was used for the stereo albums. Thus, the mono mixes reveal instruments that are all but inaudible on the stereo mixes. In the case of Come Fly With Me, there was a flaw in the recording due to problems with the mike (or connections, or tape machine-I can't remember which). it was not until 1959's Come Dance with Me that Capitol began recording in stereo only for Sinatra. They still released his albums in mono, but those albums were merely fold-downs from the stereo. After stereo became the preferred listening mode for most people, all subsequent reissues of Where Are You?, Come Fly With Me and Only the Lonely were released in stereo. I stumbled on the mono version of Come Fly With Me when I bought a used album because I wanted to frame the cover. Turned out I had a near-mint grey label original mono pressing. I was shocked at how much better the album sounded in the mono mix. I made a CD of the LP and have not played the stereo version for several years. Capitol released a 180 gram pressing of it a few years ago (erroneously labeled as 'stereo") which can still be had from some sellers or retailers. Likewise, when Mofi released Only the Lonely a few years ago on CD, the mono mix was heard for the first time in decades. ---EDIT--- *I should have added that when Capitol recorded mono and stereo versions simultaneously, the sets of microphones fed into separate recording booths with separate recording machines. So, you had the multi-mike mono version going to one mixing board in one booth, and the three-mike stereo version going to another.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Steve Hoffman did such wonderful work with the Capitol tapes of Nat King Cole's sessions that I hope these are just as good. How exciting!

lukejosephchung

Screenwriter
Real Name
Luke J. Chung
I heard the SACD mono version of Sinatra's "Where Are You" last week, and it was a revelation, especially compared with Capitol's 1991 CD release of the stereo mix...beautiful, warm tonality and clarity with spacious soundstaging...if this is what we have to look forward to from Mo-Fi for the rest of Mr. S's Capitol catalog, I'm all in!!!

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Oh man....
This is gonna be expensive.
I kinda wish these were stereo mixes...but I "get" why the mono is the way to go with these. I have the Cole "After Midnight" SACD in mono and it, too, was described by me as a revelation so I'm going to be good with these.
Like I said, this is going to be expensive...

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I ordered mine from Music Direct, but I think some people have found better pricing (and more reasonable shipping charges) from Import CDs. At first I was bummed about the way these releases are dribbling out; but at least I'm not taking a full hit to the wallet that way. I've spent so much in my quest to get the best sounding Capitol Sinatra albums via various CD and LP issues that I don't mind the premium pricing for what will likely be the be-all and end-all of Sinatra recordings. I also love the SACD of After Midnight. I almost passed on that one because I generally prefer Cole with his lush orchestral arrangements. But that SACD is amazing. The difference between the SACD and regular CD of After Midnight is remarkable. I ended up getting all the Cole SACDs except for Where Did Everyone Go? because I'm not crazy about that album.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by David_B_K
I also love the SACD of After Midnight. I almost passed on that one because I generally prefer Cole with his lush orchestral arrangements. But that SACD is amazing. The difference between the SACD and regular CD of After Midnight is remarkable.
That's funny...because I much prefer the King Cole Trio phase of Nat's career. I always thought the powers-that-be at Capitol took Nat down the wrong road when they hooked him up with the likes of Gordon Jenkins and Nelson Riddle.
I'll be really looking forward to the SACDs of the Sinatra pairings with Billy May.

lukejosephchung

Screenwriter
Real Name
Luke J. Chung
Originally Posted by Mike Frezon
That's funny...because I much prefer the King Cole Trio phase of Nat's career. I always thought the powers-that-be at Capitol took Nat down the wrong road when they hooked him up with the likes of Gordon Jenkins and Nelson Riddle.
I'll be really looking forward to the SACDs of the Sinatra pairings with Billy May.
The Capitol album Mo-Fi's bringing out in this batch with Billy May will be "Come Fly With Me"...in the original mono version, which was a separate recording done simultaneously with the stereo version using separate mike feeds, recorders and engineers...the stereo version has tape saturation problems which compromise fidelity in the louder passages, so mono is the preferred mix among hardcore Sinatraphiles...

Jacksmyname

Second Unit
Real Name
Jack Walder
Richard--W said:
I don't know what that story is all about, but the chambers didn't hurt the sound quality on this collection of masterpieces: https://static.hometheaterforum.com/imgrepo/ http://www.amazon.com/Capitol-Records-Concept-Albums-Sinatra/dp/B000BWI70W/ref=cm_cmu_pg_t 30 bucks for 14 CDs in facsimile of the original LP's consisting of the finest recorded music of the twentieth century. You can't find a better deal anywhere That's $5 less than one Blu-ray from Twilight Time.
I bought this set last year after reading your post, Rich. A terrific set at a bargain price. When I was in high school back in the '60's, I was buying Sinatra records (along with Beatles and Presley records). Classmates questioned my taste in music because I bought Sinatra and Presley. I was very fotunate to be able to see Sinatra twice in Atlantic City around 85/86. Also was able to be at Presley's June 10, 1972 Saturday night show at Madison Square Garden. The expression "the atmosphere was electric" is almost an understatement to describe the experience I had at those shows.

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
I'm pleased that you like it, Jacksmyname, but I have to qualify my recommendation now that SACD's of the same albums are being released. Think of that box-set as an introduction. A starting place. If you like what you hear, upgrade to the SACD's.
David_B_K said:
Mike, here is some info:
7c5f7826_sinatra1.jpeg
0b53a5a4_sinatra3.jpeg
I pre-ordered from Music Direct. So far, I have received Where Are You? in mono. sounds great. Come Fly With Me will also be the (superior) mono mix.
Thanks for posting this wonderful news, David. My favorite music in the world on SACD. This is going to hurt financially but I have to get them all. I browsed Mobile Direct and found other releases I should get as well. But Sinatra at Capitol comes first. I'll go over to Import CD's to see what the prices are like there.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Richard:
If you are willing to do the legwork, would you report back here as to where you are finding the best prices?
We should probably find a moderator to split this discussion off into its own thread in the music forum!
I'll take care of that sometime soon.

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
Sure I'll you know what I find. But let's not split the thread. The continuity is in this one.

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I received confirmation from Music Direct that they have shipped my order of Sinatra's Swingin' Session! and No One Cares. Music Direct is probably the most expensive option, but they seem to get the orders out the fastest. When the MOFI series was announced, it was only for the three titles that have now shipped. However, the actual releases tend to be slower than what is announced in the press releases. So, expect the five that were announced later to dribble out slowly. I ordered all but Point of No Return, which is my least favorite Sinatra/Capitol album. I'll probably break down and order it, too. I suppose I could wait until someone else sells them for less; but as these are limited releases, I don't want to take a chance on not getting them. In fact, I probably shouldn't even be telling you guys about them. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks