What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Pal Joey -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein said:
Ben,
Was afraid someone would ask that.
Not particularly my kind of movie, despite the fact 
I like Frank Sinatra.
I just came off of watching Chicago on Blu-ray prior
to that film, so I was in the mood for another music
film.  
I thought it was okay, but in all, I would probably not
watch it again.   
I like Pal Joey as a film (and the new Blu-ray) quite a bit - can't stand Chicago.
Funny how people's tastes are different.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
John Hermes said:
I like Pal Joey as a film (and the new Blu-ray) quite a bit - can't stand Chicago.
Funny how people's tastes are different.
I'm only lukewarm on Chicago too--and so maybe there's hope for me and Pal Joey...

Reed Grele

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Reed Grele
I watched the Amazon streaming HD version of "PAL JOEY" last night. Does anyone know if Amazon is using the same transfer as Twilight Time?

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Ronald Epstein said:
Not particularly my kind of movie, despite the fact 
I like Frank Sinatra.
I just came off of watching Chicago on Blu-ray prior
to that film, so I was in the mood for another music
film.  
Ron, the thing about Pal Joey is that it is not really a musical, IMO. The songs are almost all done with Sinatra singing at the mic in a nightclub or soiree. In a "real" musical, the characters leave reality and burst into song. If I remember correctly (I still have not watched the Blu-ray), aside from Rita Hayworth's character's "Bewitched, Bothered and Bewildered", the songs in Pal Joy don't really relate to the plot at all. A song like "There's a Small Hotel" sounds like a great song if there was a scene where Joey was taking a lady for a weekend getaway. But the "plot" of that song is not used, and Frank simply stands at the mic and sings it. He basically could have sung anything because the songs don't relate to the story.
So, it's a good movie/Sinatra vehicle with a great cast; but it will be disappointing as an outright musical to some.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
David,

Thank you. Perhaps "musical" was not the best word
I could have used.

You are correct, the songs have nothing to do with the
plot at all.

My apologies for the mixup.

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Ron, I wasn't attempting to correct you. I was just pointing out that the movie really is somewhat disappointing as a musical, which is how it has always been marketed; and that I can see why some people wouldn't go for it. I can imagine if someone bought the soundtrack LP, they'd hear the songs and imagine Sinatra singing them to the leading lady rather than simply performing them onstage.
If I was not such a Sinatra nut, I mind find it a bit of a let down myself.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben

Rita Hayworth is Staying Alive. This is a video posted on the Twilight Time facebook page....
"And we can try to understand
The New York Times effect on man!"

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
As fond as I am of Pal Joey and of Sinatra's career-defining performance, there is room for another version. The original play is a different kettle of fish, and it has been rediscovered in live theatre in recent years. It would make a very interesting film, as written.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Richard--W said:
As fond as I am of Pal Joey and of Sinatra's career-defining performance, there is room for another version. The original play is a different kettle of fish, and it has been rediscovered in live theatre in recent years. It would make a very interesting film, as written.
There certainly is scope for a different version of Pal Joey. Obviously the change in attitudes since the mid 1950s and the relaxation of censorship will today allow a faithful adaptation of the original work.
There is another point which is sometimes overlooked. In the movie Pal Joey there is a major incongruity. As written, Joey is a moderately talented small-time performer but he is played by Frank Sinatra who sings those songs supremely well. Quite definitely he is not only moderately talented! It is not credible that such a major talent is scratching around in small clubs! Today, when tastes in popular music have changed so much and that brand of singing has become - alas - a minority enthusiasm, it is entirely plausible that so good a singer might be a small-time Charlie performing in small clubs.
I find it very sad that those changes in taste also mean that there never will be a screen remake of Pal Joey.

Catlady

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Catlady
Cineman said:
I absolutely agree and have that Red Norvo Sextet in Australia CD. That one ought to be a revelation to anyone who thought Sinatra needed those lush strings and gorgeous full orchestra arrangements to sound great and make memorable recordings.
Just want to say thanks to those of you who mentioned this CD--it came in the mail today, I'm playing it right now and loving it. I had just been OD'ing on Reprise recordings--which I do love, but the arrangements can sometimes seem overwhelming--and it's so nice hearing that fabulous voice on a more intimate level. Love it!

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Catlady said:
Just want to say thanks to those of you who mentioned this CD--it came in the mail today, I'm playing it right now and loving it. I had just been OD'ing on Reprise recordings--which I do love, but the arrangements can sometimes seem overwhelming--and it's so nice hearing that fabulous voice on a more intimate level. Love it!
Is this the concert where he make some remarks about The Road To Mandalay and calls Rudyard Kipling's daughter "chicken"?

Catlady

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Catlady
Robin9 said:
Is this the concert where he make some remarks about The Road To Mandalay and calls Rudyard Kipling's daughter "chicken"?
Yes, it is.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Catlady said:
Yes, it is.
Thank you. I have this one - at least I did have it. Haven't played it for ages. I'd better check I still have it!

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
I thoroughly enjoyed this one--even down to the dog! Nice to see Novak in San Francisco one year before Vertigo. Great songs. Fine art direction. Strong PQ. Fun essay by Julie Kirgo. Another winner from TT.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
PS Discount Code for Twilight Time blu-rays: with an order of $50 or more at Screen Archives Entertainment, enter the code "amazon" for $10 off. Worked for me. Anyone needing a nudge on these fine TT titles should take this at the time to buy...

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
benbess said:
PS Discount Code for Twilight Time blu-rays: with an order of $50 or more at Screen Archives Entertainment, enter the code "amazon" for $10 off. Worked for me. Anyone needing a nudge on these fine TT titles should take this at the time to buy...
Wow! I had no idea. Many thanks.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
I didn't either, but it prompted me to pre-order both Bell Book and Candle and Desiree last night to give it a try. Thanks!

Paul_Warren

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul
Had a chance to watch mine last night. Thanks to everyone @ Sony/Twilight Time who made this possible & region free (living in England I had to pay a lot of money to get this movie but its well worth it!!).
PQ is excellent a lot of excessive grain in places though & Rita's closeups were very soft focus I know its all intentional & directed that way but word of warning the bluray has so much detail you will notice this at times as it looks DNR free so no waxy DNR to make this go away it looks very close to film as it should do. Colour was superb overall its a very nice looking movie & the sound/music are both excellent.
Great acting from the 3 leads. Kim looks naturally stunning & is certainly in the 1950's one of the best looking actresses of that era & also has a strong screen presence. Rita looks amazing as well & both give strong performances (check out Kim's cute little facial acting in the background made possible by the extra detail this bluray now offers :cool: ).
I hope we get more & more movies like this perhaps Hollywood is finally waking up to the healthy demand for 1940-50-60s classic's on Bluray. I am certain if they just transfer the movie & put a little effort in if budget is an issue 1080P alone + modern compression tools will produce many fine looking transfers like Pal Joey :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks