What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ One, Two, Three -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I'll watch anything that involves Billy Wilder.

I'll watch anything that involves James Cagney.

One, Two, Three, a Cold War comedy, is Mr. Cagney's penultimate performance, and it's a doozy. For the production, Mr. Wilder returned to Germany.

This is an easy one.

Buy it. Enjoy it.

The new Blu-ray from MGM, via Kino Lorber is good enough for government work. It appears to be an older transfer, with a bit of sharpening, but so be it. No real problems.

Image - 3.5

Audio - 5

4k Up-rez - 3.25

Pass / Fail - Pass

Recommended

RAH

Malcolm Bmoor

Second Unit
Real Name
Malcolm Blackmoor
If another endorsement is required I'll tell you that an East German rendition of YES WE HAVE NO BANANAS is one of the funniest things I've ever seen anywhere.

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
I love One, Two, Three and can hardly wait to view it on KL's new Blu...what a great comic satire at a truly frantic pace...exemplified by using Khatchaturian's Sabre Dance as it's opening theme music...what a time capsule this film represents also...loaded with Cold War Socio-Political Sarcasm, savaging both the Marxist Leninist Utopian Fraud of Communism and the Buccaneer Capitalism of the West's Consumer idolatry...and viewed through the remarkably generous and wise satire of the Great Billy Wilder and I.A.L. Diamond...both of them having lost so much of their families to the cataclysm of the Holocaust...

One, Two, Three was released just before Christmas 1961...while the film was in production, tensions in Berlin ramped right up into a full blown Crisis that threatened World War Three...the Soviets, through their East German lackeys, closed the border on August 13 and threatened to occupy the whole of West Berlin...with Khrushchev wearing his rarely worn Marshall's uniform, the Soviets announced that they would test the most powerful H bomb ever (the 50 Megaton "Tsar Bomba", detonated Oct. 30)...at a secret conference in the White House on Oct. 18, President Kennedy considered plans for a Nuclear first strike on the Soviet Union...U.S. Army Patton tanks squared off against Soviet T-55 tanks at Checkpoint Charlie on Oct. 25, their guns pointed at each other and only 100 yards apart...those were the times...perhaps not at all ironic that all this yielded a brilliant comedy after all...

036-billy-wilder-theredlist.jpg

Billy%2BWilder%2Bdetr%25C3%25A1s%2Bde%2Blas%2Bc%25C3%25A1maras%2B35.jpg

still-of-james-cagney-in-one,-two,-three-(1961)-large-picture.jpg

onetwothree.jpg

one-two-three-1961.jpg

un-dos-tres-billy-wilder.jpg

Absolutely one of my favorite Billy Wilder movies...and James Cagney in another immortal role...

Last edited:

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
My memories of being taken to this on its opening night in South Florida, and being quite literally introduced that very evening to Cagney, to the Berlin Wall, to the Coke/Pepsi corporate rivalry, to Khachaturian's "Sabre Dance", and to the comic genius of Billy Wilder ... are, well, priceless.

Sorry to read that RAH finds cause to judge MGM's image more harshly than we would have liked, but (1) why should we be shocked, shocked, at their treatment of it?, and (2) I've been waiting too many years for this, and it's essential. So just stand aside, everyone...

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
I love this film and finally am watching this Blu-ray - yes, older transfer and compared to the new Apartment transfer you'll see just how much more this could be - maybe one day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
treed99
Recent bookmarks