What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ One-Eyed Jacks -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Marlon Brando's only directorial effort, One-Eyed Jacks, has always stood outside of the norm.

Positioned between old and new Hollywood, in both style as well as technical attributes, it was a film that 1961 audiences found confusing in some ways.

Bosley Crowther, then lead critic for the New York Times, commented:

"What is extraordinary about it is that it proceeds in two contrasting styles. One is hard and realistic; the other is romantic and lush. All the way through it runs a jangle of artistic ambivalence. It is as if it had been directed jointly by John Huston and Raoul Walsh."

Partially scripted, and partially based upon daily improvisation, much of the acting is stellar, while some falls to lessor levels.

The one thing that cannot be overlooked, is the magnificence of Charles Lang's VistaVision cinematography, which brings us to the new Criterion Blu-ray, as restored by Universal.

The technical folks at Uni have taken the surviving elements, and created a magnificent 4k restoration, with virtually everything in its place.

I note "virtually," as within its 141 minute running time, that's approximately 204,000 frames, or over 25,400 feet of film, I found a single instance of problem shot.

"Bloody good, sir!" A very necessary tip of the archival hat to Universal.

One-Eyed Jacks, while not the final film to be produced in VistaVision, was the final film to be released as such.

I should make note of a single error on the Criterion packaging, which makes note of the film as "Technicolor." While prints were struck at Technicolor in dye transfer, the film was shot on Eastman Color 5248.

Look carefully, the next time you watch The Magnificent Seven, and you may spot Marlon Brando's saddle from One-Eyed, beneath Eli Wallach.

My advice.

Just grab a copy of this one, and enjoy. For those who might wonder what VistaVision should look like on Blu-ray, this is it.

Image - 5

Audio - 5

4k Up-rez - 5*

Pass / Fail - Pass

Very Highly Recommended

RAH

Last edited:

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Great stuff! At the end of last year we had, Spartacus & My Fair Lady, & this year it's One-Eyed Jacks, I wonder what the goodie will be late next year? I do have a multi-region player (although it is still in the box), but I'm going to wait for a bit, it's bound to be released in Europe (B) & I'd like to support that, if the wait is too long, I'm sure I'll cave in & buy the Criterion.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
One-Eyed Jacks, while not the final film to be produced in VistaVision, was the final film to be released as such.

I've just realised that I don't know why Vista Vision stopped being used. Can any knowledgeable person cure my ignorance?

Mr. Harris: many thanks for this review. My disc was pre-ordered a long time ago. I'm now a very impatient man.

Reactions: PMF

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Great stuff! At the end of last year we had, Spartacus & My Fair Lady, & this year it's One-Eyed Jacks, I wonder what the goodie will be late next year? I do have a multi-region player (although it is still in the box), but I'm going to wait for a bit, it's bound to be released in Europe (B) & I'd like to support that, if the wait is too long, I'm sure I'll cave in & buy the Criterion.

Criterion now release Zone B discs in the U.K. I'm sure One-Eyed Jacks will have a U. K. release.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I've just realised that I don't know why Vista Vision stopped being used. Can any knowledgeable person cure my ignorance?

Mr. Harris: many thanks for this review. My disc was pre-ordered a long time ago. I'm now a very impatient man.

Double the processing and stocks, and far better color emulsions, with finer grain, that became available beginning late 1959 through 1963.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
VistaVision was used for creating Special Effects footage eg in Star Wars (TM) until everything went digital
starwarscard.jpg

https://sites.google.com/site/worldofvisualeffects/calendar
from 2004:
http://www.post-movie.net/cameras-that-filmed-star-trek-star-wars-and-the-exorcist-to-be-auctioned/

t1g3r5fan

Reviewer
Real Name
Mychal Bowden
Just to confirm: are the original Paramount logos retained for this release or is the Universal logo featured at the beginning of the film?

It's not a deal-breaker for me, but it's good to know.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Great stuff! At the end of last year we had, Spartacus & My Fair Lady, & this year it's One-Eyed Jacks, I wonder what the goodie will be late next year? [...]
Wow, has it been a year, already? I guess so. Multiple viewings of MFL and Spartacus going on at my home; 'cause I simply can't take my eyes (and ears) off of either. Still trying to figure out if its the cinematography or RAH's extraordinary one-two punch of restorative works.
In another year (or two), I might have the answer.:)

As for "One Eyed Jacks", this is a thrilling review on all fronts;
which now makes this BD one of the no-brainer purchases of the season.
Hey, it's in 4K. Its in VistaVision. And it's from Criterion.
BUT if that ain't triple threat enough for us all; its also a Film Foundation project, ta' boot!
So let us not forget Mr. Scorsese's contribution to our zeals and anticipations.:thumbs-up-smiley:

But with one exception, here, Billy Batson nailed it right.
This season is not limited to "One Eyed Jacks" and he won't have to wait until next year, either.
Keep your eyes peeled for "Mr. Deeds Goes to Town" and one other title.
Indeed, THE hands down restoration goodie to compliment "One Eyed Jacks" will be the epic "Napoleon".
Yup, it looks like November is this years ruling month of months for goodie BD's.:drum:

Last edited:

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Just to confirm: are the original Paramount logos retained for this release or is the Universal logo featured at the beginning of the film?

It's not a deal-breaker for me, but it's good to know.

I'd have preferred that the original P logo was left intact, there may have been legal reasons

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks