1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

UHD Review A few words about...™ Once Upon a Time in Hollywood -- in 4k UHD Blu-ray

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Robert Harris, Dec 11, 2019.

1. Message #1 of 52 Dec 11, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 12, 2019
    Robert Harris

Robert Harris Archivist
    Reviewer

Robert Harris
    For those who may be unaware of Quentin Tarantino as a filmmaker, be advised that you'll not be witnessing something that will be receiving the proprietary Dove label. And while there is a place for Hallmark films, it's not one of those, either.

You should also be aware, going in, that any film with a title that begins with the words "Once Upon a Time..." may not be seeing a film based solely upon accurate historical events.

One of the things that I love about QT's work, is that he tends to bend time, space and facts, and create from them something acutely wonderful and entertaining.

And so it is with his 9th film, not counting his non-directorial attachments, and extras, such as the 2005 CSI two-parter, which should be required viewing. You can find it here:

https://www.amazon.com/CSI-Investigation-Danger-Two-disc-Blu-ray/dp/B006CR2P7Q/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=CSI+grave+danger&qid=1576077106&sr=8-1

Have I mentioned that I love this film?

Everything about it.

The casting, cinematography, screenplay, production design, set decoration --- everything.

It's the closest one will get to Hollywood in 1969, without being there.

I'll not go into plot, or storyline in any way, as I don't want to spoil anything for the three people who may have somehow missed it theatrically.

As a 4k Blu-ray, Columbia's release is gorgeous, with rich deep blacks, great color, and no age related artifacts. And it's true 4k.

But there's a small conundrum here.

Screening via projection, imho, the HDR affected the blacks and gray scale too much, while on an OLED, it appeared much closer to the theatrical experience in 4k. I seem to recall the theatrical being presented in Dolby Atmos, but I could be wrong. The disc is DTS-HD MA 7.1.

The new 4k is priced right, at $28 street, and has some wonderful extras.

For those too young to view an R rated film, please ask for parental permission before doing so. You might just end up wanting to be a filmmaker.

Image – 5

Audio – 5 (DTS-HD MA 7.1)

Pass / Fail – Pass

Very Highly Recommended

RAH

2. skylark68

skylark68 Screenwriter

Timothy
    Great review as always, I don’t watch CSI but QT directing and writing a 2 part episode might be worth checking out.

As far as the film goes, I was immersed and loved every minute of it. I wasn’t around in ‘69, but I sure felt like I was there while watching this film, especially when riding in the Cadillac with the tunes on. Especially when “Hush” by Deep Purple was cranked up.

3. warnerbro

warnerbro Supporting Actor

Darrell
    Thanks for providing a link for CSI. And we appreciate your posts. You are a treasure to this website.

4. alstein

alstein Auditioning

Aron
    I loved is film. And what a bitter sweet ending that was! I have a 4K Blu-ray player which I purchased in anticipation of my eventually buying a 4K tv. This player is connected to my 1080p tv. I’ve ordered the 4k edition of this film which also includes the blu ray. Will I get better results playing the 4K Blu-ray ? Or should I stick with the regular. Thanks.

warnerbro and TravisR like this.
  5. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

It even made a Neil Diamond song cool!

skylark68 likes this.
  6. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Archivist
    Reviewer

Robert Harris
    Might be worth testing, and reporting your findings. If I were to guess, I’d go with the standard issue Blu, as the 4k might have a tendency toward dark.

7. Bryan^H

Bryan^H Lead Actor

Same here. I saw it five times in the theater.
    The HDR does seem a bit dark compared to what I saw on the big screen, but overall it still looks pretty great.

skylark68 likes this.
  8. ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool Producer

ManW
    Yeah, I'm one of "the three people..." and was debating on making this a release day/week purchase, which is unusual for me, especially for the 4K pricing, but think I'll go ahead and even run to the local BB to get it...

Mostly just wanted confirmation of the 4K disc quality before pulling the trigger...

Thanks, RAH! And thanks also for the CSI rec --- will definitely check it out...

_Man_

skylark68 likes this.
  9. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor
    Supporter

Patrick McCart
    Saw this theatrically and loved it. Tarantino, not unlike Scorsese, offers a cinematic treat that's both entertaining and gives you a bit of a cinema history lesson.

Seems like a perfect storm for UHD between it being a Sony release, mostly shot anamorphic on 35mm, and lensed by Robert Richardson.

10. Mark-P

Mark-P Producer

Mark Probst
    By coincidence, I watched it on iTunes in 4K last night (via projection). I’m glad I had avoided all spoilers, because I was in for an entertaining ride and the destination was not at all what I anticipated! Loved it. Yes the HDR is on the darker side for this title. I don’t understand why some HDR titles look normal while others veer toward dark. I guess every HDR renderer has their own ideas about how it should be used.

11. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

Okay, I am the second of "the three people". So, who wants to admit to being the third one? ;)

I love QT's work, but we just don't go to the movie theater anymore. I was going to await a price drop on this one and rent it from Amazon (have some digital credits), but instead took advantage of a $10 off code at Fandango Now to buy the 4K/HDR streaming version for $9.99. I hope to watch it tomorrow or Friday.

12. davidmatychuk

davidmatychuk Cinematographer

David Matychuk
    I went with the Collector's Edition (4K, Blu-Ray, Digital Copy, Mad Magazine parody, Italian movie poster, vinyl 45) and I haven't watched it yet, but I laughed out loud when I opened it up and saw what was included, in its own section of the packaging, to go with the 45. Everyone I showed it to laughed out loud too. Delightful!

TravisR likes this.
  13. Mark Booth

Mark Booth Cinematographer
    Supporter

I watched the 4K Blu-ray yesterday via Panasonic UB9000 player and Sony XBR940E (LCD). I never felt the image was too dark.

Fabulous film! 5 out of 5 stars. For me, it's QT's best film so far. It displaced my previous favorite, 'Inglorious Basterds', which now sits at #2.

Mark

ahollis likes this.
  14. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    10th film:
    1. Reservoir Dogs
    2. Pulp Fiction
    3. Jackie Brown
    4. Kill Bill Vol 1
    5. Kill Bill Vol 2
    6. Death Proof
    7. Inglorious Basterds
    8. Django Unchained
    9. The Hateful Eight
    10. Once Upon A Time

Don’t fall for his silly numbering reality denying matrix. Kill Bill was released as two films, is only available for purchase as two films, came out in separate calendar years and carries separate copyrights. There is no objective measure by which it can be considered one film. That it began life as one screenplay doesn’t change the fact that that one screenplay was made into two movies.

Jeffrey D and Philip Verdieck like this.
  15. Neil Middlemiss

Neil Middlemiss Producer
    Reviewer

Neil Middlemiss
    Don't die on that hill, Josh :)

16. Wayne_j

Wayne_j Producer

Wayne
    I am willing to let him count what he was intending to be a single film as a single film.

17. bujaki

bujaki Producer

Jose Ortiz-Marrero
    How do you number his contribution to the film Four Rooms? A quarter film? Once upon a Time... is Tarantino's 91/4 or 101/4 film?

Jeffrey D and Josh Steinberg like this.
  18. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    Put up a plaque for me when I’m gone! :D

19. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Director
    Reviewer

Matt Hough
    For those interested in my review of Tarantino's CSI episodes "Grave Danger" (which received a most welcome Blu-ray release as a separate "film"), you can find that review here.

20. Joel Fontenot

Joel Fontenot Screenwriter

Joel Fontenot
    That would be me.

Not that I didn't want to see it. My wife (she would be the 4th) and I just get so little time to see any movie that our 10-year-old can't see too.