What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ On the Beach -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Persianimmortal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Koroush Ghazi
ROclockCK said:
Then why in the name of all that's cinematically holy did they release it in such a sorry state Paul? This only confirms my earliest impression of the KLSC series...a quick, opportunistic cash grab...the line of least resistance with the least amount of work.
Bingo!

Right out of the gate, the Marty debacle should have alerted most people to Kino's true agenda. Add to that the fact that Frank Tarzi and Mister Lime, both ex-Olive operatives are involved, and you can guarantee that at least every second release will have quality issues, if only because they are grabbing whatever transfer is available, quickly packaging it up and hyping it, so that we can supposedly rejoice in the fact that such-and-such a film is "finally released in HD!".

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Persianimmortal said:
Bingo!

Right out of the gate, the Marty debacle should have alerted most people to Kino's true agenda. Add to that the fact that Frank Tarzi and Mister Lime, both ex-Olive operatives are involved, and you can guarantee that at least every second release will have quality issues, if only because they are grabbing whatever transfer is available, quickly packaging it up and hyping it, so that we can supposedly rejoice in the fact that such-and-such a film is "finally released in HD!".
I've bought 11 of Kino's releases in which Marty wasn't one of them, but overall, I'm pretty happy with them.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Mark-P said:
Other than the lip-sync issue which I was able to compensate for with audio delay, I thought the disc looked great.
For the most part, I thought so too. And as I said above, the splice-bumps in The Children's Hour were more noticeable and distracting to me. But even there, it certainly didn't ruin the viewing experience for me. For those saying it deserves better treatment, of course it does. So did Marty. So did West Side Story. Frankly, at this stage, I don't expect much from MGM, and hence, I am rarely disappointed.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Persianimmortal said:
Would you disagree with the assessment that Kino has essentially picked up the dregs of the MGM catalog (transfer quality-wise), and is churning them out as quickly as they can?

My heart sinks whenever I hear that a film I like is going to be released by Olive or Kino...
Your heart might sink, but I've enjoyed many titles releases by Olive or Kino over the years. Sure, they could be better with a little more effort such as some basic cleanup work, but I rather have them as is than to never have them at all.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
JohnMor said:
For the most part, I thought so too. And as I said above, the splice-bumps in The Children's Hour were more noticeable and distracting to me. But even there, it certainly didn't ruin the viewing experience for me. For those saying it deserves better treatment, of course it does. So did Marty. So did West Side Story. Frankly, at this stage, I don't expect much from MGM, and hence, I am rarely disappointed.
It's about where I'm at.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Robert Harris said:
When the film isn't jumping at cuts, it can be pleasing. It received a 2.5 out of 5, which is a fail. I try not to howl.

RAH
Wasn't really talking about you - your grade is higher than mine but not by much. But all these transfers, on various boards, are being given complete passes where they would NOT be given passes had other labels released them. Sorry, but it's true. Just imagine Warners putting this out, or Fox or even Image or even Twilight Time. No pass there, I can assure you.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
haineshisway said:
Wasn't really talking about you - your grade is higher than mine but not by much. But all these transfers, on various boards, are being given complete passes where they would NOT be given passes had other labels released them. Sorry, but it's true. Just imagine Warners putting this out, or Fox or even Image or even Twilight Time. No pass there, I can assure you.
I wouldn't say they're being given complete passes. The flaws are duly noted in the reviews I've read. It's just that people understand what to expect these days with MGM. It's these transfers or nothing. Some people prefer nothing in these cases. But a lot of us don't.

As far as the other studios, their own track records in the quality of their transfers are why we expect better from them. They've shown us they're willing to invest the time and the money. MGM hasn't. And Twilight Time should deliver better quality for a firm $30, plus shipping, than what I got for about $17 and free shipping on most of these Kino discs. (And, for the record, they always have. Twilight Time is a label I buy from with complete confidence.)

It seems people keep expecting a different level of care from MGM than what they've exhibited to date in the blu-ray game, although based on their history, God knows why. As much as I'd like to think their next batch of HD transfers will all be up to Sony or Warner Bros. standards, experience tells me we'll get more of these level of transfers. It's unfortunate, but not worth getting too upset about. Those who prefer to just stick with their dvds can do so, and those who prefer to go totally without can do so. And those who prefer the slight to moderate to greater quality jump over the previous dvds have these newer discs.

Malcolm Bmoor

Second Unit
Real Name
Malcolm Blackmoor
Returning to The Beach:

In case there's anyone who doesn't know the story about Ava Gardner arriving in Australia -

'I'm here to make a film about the end of the world and this sure is the place'

Persianimmortal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Koroush Ghazi
Yorkshire said:
Once again a thread about a particular release turns into a thread about a label.Steve W

As it rightly should when a pattern emerges for releases under a particular label.

It's clear that not all MGM/UA titles are in dire straights, as those released by Twilight Time look quite good. I can't speak for anybody else, but my actual concern is that lower-tier distributors like Kino and Olive are acting as enablers for studios to offload their rough-looking catalog titles without lifting a finger to restore, clean up, or even address basic issues (e.g. audio alignment). If more film fans were able to say no to dross on Blu, maybe, just maybe, MGM would inject a few dollars into cleaning up these titles and creating new HD transfers, given these same improved transfers could then be used for digital-only sales.

But as it stands, by lapping up whatever MGM throws our way via Kino, we're basically saying "We'll take your trash, and we'll like it too!"

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Persianimmortal said:
As it rightly should when a pattern emerges for releases under a particular label.

It's clear that not all MGM/UA titles are in dire straights, as those released by Twilight Time look quite good. I can't speak for anybody else, but my actual concern is that lower-tier distributors like Kino and Olive are acting as enablers for studios to offload their rough-looking catalog titles without lifting a finger to restore, clean up, or even address basic issues (e.g. audio alignment). If more film fans were able to say no to dross on Blu, maybe, just maybe, MGM would inject a few dollars into cleaning up these titles and creating new HD transfers, given these same improved transfers could then be used for digital-only sales.

But as it stands, by lapping up whatever MGM throws our way via Kino, we're basically saying "We'll take your trash, and we'll like it too!"
Just curious, have you bought then watched any of these Kino titles?

Persianimmortal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Koroush Ghazi
I've read reviews, both by professionals like RAH, and by the average users. I've seen screencaps. I've purchased and watched some of the rougher MGM stuff licensed out to distributors in Australia, like Moby Dick and Man of the West. If you're suggesting that despite this, I can only comment on Kino's widely acknowledged lack of quality by first buying each of their poor quality releases, then I'm going to strongly disagree, for the same reason that I won't stick my hand in a fire just to see whether it gets burned.

Aside from Marty, which I really wanted but have decided not to buy, there are several films coming up in the Kino release cycle which I would love to own (e.g. The Great Train Robbery, Run Silent, Run Deep and most especially The Offence), which I now have very grave doubts about. I'm fairly certain that all of the good MGM stuff was snapped up by Twilight Time and others. I'm not sure why you and others seem content with mediocrity (at best), when it's entirely possible for us to have had better if we as customers had shown greater discernment in what we accept.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Persianimmortal said:
I've read reviews, both by professionals like RAH, and by the average users. I've seen screencaps. I've purchased and watched some of the rougher MGM stuff licensed out to distributors in Australia, like Moby Dick and Man of the West. If you're suggesting that despite this, I can only comment on Kino's widely acknowledged lack of quality by first buying each of their poor quality releases, then I'm going to strongly disagree, for the same reason that I won't stick my hand in a fire just to see whether it gets burned.

Aside from Marty, which I really wanted but have decided not to buy, there are several films coming up in the Kino release cycle which I would love to own (e.g. The Great Train Robbery, Run Silent, Run Deep and most especially The Offence), which I now have very grave doubts about. I'm fairly certain that all of the good MGM stuff was snapped up by Twilight Time and others. I'm not sure why you and others seem content with mediocrity (at best), when it's entirely possible for us to have had better if we as customers had shown greater discernment in what we accept.
In other words, the short answer to my question is "no". Anyhow, I was just curious as it's your prerogative to do what you want with your monies.

As to what I and others do with our monies in buying some of these titles, well, that's our business.

Persianimmortal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Koroush Ghazi
Robert Crawford said:
In other words, the short answer to my question is "no".
Since both you and I know that it really wasn't a question, more an implication that "If you haven't watched it, your opinion doesn't count", I felt a longer answer than "no" was justified. But since you're obviously not interested in reasons, then the discussion can end at this point.

cinerama10

Supporting Actor
Real Name
peter
AdrianTurner said:
I know negative views are not wholly appreciated here but On the Beach is one of my all-time worst movies. Waltzing Matilda, Fred Astaire as a racing driver . . . . unbelievably stupid. v
I agree with you.It was a very tedious film when I saw it on its original release. I also thought the same when I saw it again recently. Very very slow.It was Stanley Kramer's most forgetful film. The tv remake was even worse.

cinerama10

Supporting Actor
Real Name
peter
Malcolm Bmoor said:
Returning to The Beach:

In case there's anyone who doesn't know the story about Ava Gardner arriving in Australia -

'I'm here to make a film about the end of the world and this sure is the place'
Ava Gardner NEVER said that -it was a reporter who made the comment. Don't blame Ava..Obviously you DO NOT know the true story - only the myth. Melbourne has been named as the best place in the world in which to live for three years in a row.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Persianimmortal said:
Since both you and I know that it really wasn't a question, more an implication that "If you haven't watched it, your opinion doesn't count", I felt a longer answer than "no" was justified. But since you're obviously not interested in reasons, then the discussion can end at this point.
Actually, it was a question as I didn't know whether you bought any of them or not As to not being interested in your reasons, you're all wrong about that and I commend you for sticking by your principles in this matter. Unlike you, with what others do in buying some of these titles, I don't have a problem with you or anybody else not buying any of them. I always believed that a person should do what's best for them.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
haineshisway said:
Bruce,

I don't know what other boards say on these matters as I tend not to read their threads, but I think this board for the most part besides a few exceptions has been fair with all their criticisms across the different studios/companies releasing video product. For some of us, there are some hidden agendas while the majority of us are more interested in just watching our favorite classic films in 1080p. In fairness to Warner, Fox or even TT, I think Olive and Kino have received fair criticism on HTF in regard to their releases. I completely agree with RAH, when he says both companies should have done better with their BD releases with just a little more effort on their part.

davidmatychuk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Matychuk
The only Kino Lorber titles I've bought so far are "Witness For The Prosecution" and "What's New Pussycat?" because the DVD's, which I owned, were non-anamorphic. On that basis alone, I thought that they'd be worth purchasing, and both Blu-Rays are quite an improvement over any previous home video version. The Billy Wilder interview on "Witness" was a nice bonus, but wasn't a factor in my buying the disc. As for "On The Beach", I'll never be in a hurry to add it to my collection, but if the price was right I wouldn't say no, and I'd certainly know what to expect quality-wise from reading everyone's opinions. It's the titles I'm on the fence about that make me appreciate the feedback I get here.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks