What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ On the Beach -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris

On the Beach, a 1959 production from Stanley Kramer, offers an extraordinary cast, in a quality film, offered here in Blu-ray by MGM via Kino Lorber.

I'm just finding a bit of time to sample the Kino Lorber MGM releases, and generally I'm coming away reasonably pleased, even though some of them appear to have an unfinished appearance.

On the Beach is a bit problematic.  A nice black & white image, offered at 1.66 appears to been taken from an elements that was over-used or repaired at some point.  Splice-bumps occasionally get annoying, as they need not be present.  I'm thinking that whatever element was used was a dupe derived from an OCN with I-beam splice repairs at cuts.

Nonetheless, it's good to have the film on Blu.  Densities seem alright, if not perfect, along with gray scale.  A bit of dirt, especially in dupes (which may have always been there).

My Oppo was not able to gain proper audio sync.

Image - 2.5

Audio - 4

RAH

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Once again, I'm glad you received this, Robert, since it was also requested for me but didn't arrive. Sorry to read it's not as good as it could have been. It's such an important, if somber, movie.

Mark McSherry

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark McSherry
Glenn Erickson's review of ON THE BEACH also mentions the audio-synch problem-

"KLSC has released the movie separately on both Blu-ray and DVD. I've checked my Blu-ray copy on two separate players (Sony and Toshiba) and the audio sync looks soft throughout. Individual scenes appear to play back with even more of a sync problem. I personally would still buy the disc -- I have several favorites with worse flaws that I've watched multiple times -- but if this flaw is on all copies Kino Lorber might want to re-press. I'd not advise prospective buyers to cancel out on my say-so -- check other reviewers first."

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Robert Harris said:
A nice black & white image, offered at 1.66 appears to been taken from an elements that was over-used or repaired at some point. Splice-bumps occasionally get annoying, as they need not be present. I'm thinking that whatever element was used was a dupe derived from an OCN with I-beam splice repairs at cuts.

RAH
I found them even more noticeable on The Children's Hour blu.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I'll give this BD a 3.0 on the video while the audio is 4.0, but with a sync issue that I alleviated with some equipment adjustment.

AdrianTurner

BANNED
Real Name
Adrian Turner
I know negative views are not wholly appreciated here but On the Beach is one of my all-time worst movies. Waltzing Matilda, Fred Astaire as a racing driver . . . . unbelievably stupid.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
AdrianTurner said:
I know negative views are not wholly appreciated here but On the Beach is one of my all-time worst movies. Waltzing Matilda, Fred Astaire as a racing driver . . . . unbelievably stupid.
I don't know why you would say that????

Over the last 50 years or so, I've only watched this film maybe 3-4 times in its entirety. Not because it's an awful film, but it's so damn depressing.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Robert Crawford said:
Over the last 50 years or so, I've only watched this film maybe 3-4 times in its entirety. Not because it's an awful film, but it's so damn depressing.
This is a film I saw decades ago as a teen and then I approached it strictly intellectually and politically. Now, at the mid-century mark, seeing it again I approached it completely emotionally. Man is it depressing! But very moving.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
It is a rather realistic depiction of what could happen after a nuclear holocaust. The technology to escape the earth didn't exist, so what would you do? Make your way to the the furthest regions from the fallout and then wait to die. As for Fred Astaire as a race car driver, why not? This film marked his departure from musicals into serious dramatic acting. Waltzing Matilda has been described as the "unofficial anthem of Australia" and is therefore wholly appropriate to the film.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
I'm just going to say that if any other label had released a transfer like this (and a few of the other Kino MGM titles I've viewed) there would be much howling and calling for recalls and heads to roll - it is fascinating that that is not happening here. Here it's "well, it's good to have the film on Blu."

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
haineshisway said:
I'm just going to say that if any other label had released a transfer like this (and a few of the other Kino MGM titles I've viewed) there would be much howling and calling for recalls and heads to roll - it is fascinating that that is not happening here. Here it's "well, it's good to have the film on Blu."
When the film isn't jumping at cuts, it can be pleasing. It received a 2.5 out of 5, which is a fail. I try not to howl.

RAH

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Well, I'm certainly not going to fault Kino for MGM's shoddy work. Just as I wouldn't fault Twilight Time or any other independent, boutique label. It's clear the studio has no intention of releasing these films itself, so I doubt it will put any further funds into newer, better HD transfers. So, given that, yes, I think it is better to have the films on blu than not. Do I wish some of them were better transfers? Absolutely. Especially The Private Life of Sherlock Holmes. But I don't think it's better to go without.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
haineshisway said:
Other than the lip-sync issue which I was able to compensate for with audio delay, I thought the disc looked great.

ROclockCK

Screenwriter
Real Name
Steve
Oh bloody hell.

Until 2 weeks ago, I was playing wait-see with this KLSC series, sitting out the pre-orders until the reviews hit, to help me cherry pick.

Yet early word on Witness for the Prosecution was encouraging, so I took a chance on that one and was very pleased with what I saw and heard at home. No foul there. This gave me enough confidence to apply my standard Tarzi/Olive buying practice, which basically accepts that if it's a black & white title, it might be dirty or battered in spots, but at least it won't assault my senses with badly mastered colour, which bugs me even more than intermittent specks and scratches. So flipping a coin, I ordered my 2nd KLSC Blu-ray On the Beach...a movie I hadn't seen since the mid-90s and never widescreen...but after my WFTP experience, I liked the odds of getting a good or good enough disc.

Now I learn that On the Beach not only has out of sync audio but also shows "splice lines"??? Oy...I can't even remember the last time I saw splices on a studio-sourced master! Although that might be quaintly nostalgic the first couple of times, after that, it's bound to be terribly distracting.

Bummer. Bummed.

ROclockCK

Screenwriter
Real Name
Steve
Paul Rossen said:
On the Beach simply needs a lot of work. Audio is good. MGM. Enough said.
Then why in the name of all that's cinematically holy did they release it in such a sorry state Paul? This only confirms my earliest impression of the KLSC series...a quick, opportunistic cash grab...the line of least resistance with the least amount of work.

Certainly sealed the tomb for On the Beach though. I mean, who else, including MGM, will touch that title after this release sucks whatever life remains for it among 'core fans and collectors?

Paul Rossen

Screenwriter
ROclockCK said:
Then why in the name of all that's cinematically holy did they release it in such a sorry state Paul? This only confirms my earliest impression of the KLSC series...a quick, opportunistic cash grab...the line of least resistance with the least amount of work.

Certainly sealed the tomb for On the Beach though. I mean, who else, including MGM, will touch that title after this release sucks whatever life remains among 'core fans and collectors?
I think you said it all. It certainly appears that for the many of titles becoming available MGM simply sold off as much as they could with as little work as possible. A title such as On the Beach should be treated better... The funny thing is I still enjoyed my viewing as it was in stereo and Ernest Gold's score never sounded as good.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation661
Recent bookmarks