What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Now You See Me -- in 4k UHD Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Louis Leterrier's Now You See Me, is one of those non-stop effects-laden films, that try to keep the story one beat ahead of the audience.

Many fail in their efforts.

This one succeeds.

With Jesse Eisenberg, Woody Harrelson, Isla Fisher and Dave Franco playing magicians, involved in mysterious goings on, Mark Ruffalo and Melanie Laurent trying to reign them in, and Morgan Freeman and Michale adding support, Now You See Me is two hours of cinematic fun, that looks and sounds terrific in 4k.

If there is a progenitor here, it may be f/x, as the film is all about not believing what one's eyes tell them.

Shot on fillum, and taken through a 2k DI, the 4k disc, especially with HDR cranked to about 8, is a worthy addition to the newest 4k releases.

Audio, in Dolby Atmos completes an extremely satisfying package.

Image - 5

Audio - 5

4k - 5

Pass / Fail - Pass

Recommended

RAH

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Louis Leterrier's Now You See Me, is one of those non-stop effects-laden films, that try to keep the story one beat ahead of the audience.

Many fail in their efforts.

This one succeeds.

Well, Robert, it succeeds if you don't stop for even two seconds to think about it. The ending in particular is just one completely implausible stunt after another, and yes, they occur in such rapid succession that I can see how people would consider it clever as hell. Watch it a second time and all logic and believability vanish like some of the characters on the screen. It's fun to a point, and the transfer is just about flawless, but I'm certainly not going to upgrade my Blu to a 4K copy.

DavidMiller

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Miller
I really enjoyed this movie and got the 4K version. I'm going to try and watch it in prep to go see the second one. You can tear any movie apart but sometimes you need to remember that watching movies is about entertainment and this was one of the best of 2013.

Ray0414

Auditioning
Real Name
Ray
Visually this movie isn't great. The blacks are gray and looks upscaled most of the time. I did enjoy the plot though. Anyone looking for 4k eye candy should pass. There's only a few scenes that looked good but the black levels bog it down.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I really enjoyed this movie and got the 4K version. I'm going to try and watch it in prep to go see the second one. You can tear any movie apart but sometimes you need to remember that watching movies is about entertainment and this was one of the best of 2013.
Thank Heaven we all don't think alike! :)

Michel_Hafner

Screenwriter
Well, this disc is incorrectly mastered I would say. Looks milky most of the time. The contrast can't be right on this disc. Oops. Wrong gamma on the projector. Reassessing... Looks ok now. But since other people reported elevated black levels I wonder if this disc is not properly signaling the monitor/projector to use the HDR gamma and one has to set it manually.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks