What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Natural Born Killers -- in Blu-Ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Oliver Stone's 1994 opus on violence and celebrity is a film that people either love or hate. Few don't have an opinion.

I find it to be brilliant filmmaking -- think Godard with a budget.

Filmed with every possible taking mechanism short of sun pictures and pin cameras, it is a beautifully and frenetically edited melange of images in a film much like those derived from graphic novels, but pre-dating them.

This is what Blu-Ray is all about.

Color when there should be color.

Grain when there should be grain.

And everything crafted to perfection.

An absolutely gorgeous piece of Blu-Ray software.

This is the standard R rated release version at 119 minutes.

It comes as a delightful book that I'm certain some people will like. I'd rather have standard BD packaging, along with something that tells me what the extras are.

Natural Born Killers is pure cinema.

Warner Home Video has taken a beautiful element of NBK, scanned it to perfection, cleaned it up, and given us an end result that is one of the most perfect renditions of film yet to hit Blu-Ray.

Very Highly Recommended.

RAH

Keith Paynter

Screenwriter
Love it. "Got" it on the very first viewing.

I'm okay with the "coffee table book" format.

Grain is almost it's own character in this film. VERY glad to know it has been well preserved. This will do just fine untill the independent release of unrated director's cut.

Will*B

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Will
This film has always been a favourite of mine, but I'm disappointed that this is only the 'R' cut. Granted, the unrated version belongs to another company (Live? Lionsgate?), but it's a shame that this BD release isn't the version that Stone intended. Oh well; I can wait.

Jari K

Senior HTF Member
With this film, I probably have to pass the "R-rated"-version.. Sad, but true.

Kris Z.

Stunt Coordinator
I just wanted to applaud Warner for giving these classic catalogue titles the proper, cinematic treatment they (and we as film lovers) deserve, with no undue manipulation. Great work and keep 'em coming!

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
nice! In the commentary on the old theatrical release, Stone admits to being torn as to which one he prefers, stating that the hard cuts in the r-rated one actually add to it.

When I go blue ray, I'll buy them both :D

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
Wow, I've never heard that one before, but that's about the most perfect description I've ever heard of NBK.

Geoff_D

Supporting Actor
Awwww. I didn't want to pick this up but a glowing recommendation from RAH always gets my mouse pointer hovering over the 'buy' button...

Vegas 1

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Alvin Kuenster
I have no problem with the R rated version since I still have the Pioneer laserdisc box set.
Thanks RAH for the recommendation.

Bleddyn Williams

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bleddyn Williams
Ah, I never let one review sway me - but this one did. I have mixed feelings about this film, but now can't wait to give it another try on BD.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks