What's new

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
The second act was a pastiche of a typical MGM Marx brothers movie with the hilarity separated by truly terrible songs. I heard two older ladies complain about how terrible the musical was because the songs were so badly written. The fact that they were meant to be laughed at went completely over their heads and they took them totally seriously!

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
The second act was a pastiche of a typical MGM Marx brothers movie with the hilarity separated by truly terrible songs. I heard two older ladies complain about how terrible the musical was because the songs were so badly written. The fact that they were meant to be laughed at went completely over their heads and they took them totally seriously!
Well, I loved the songs, so there you go.

Reactions: PMF
Real Name
Klaus Stukator
The Criterion DVD sadly missed the Universal art deco deco logo used by the then "New Universal" since 1936 until it's merger with International Pictures in the forties.
Has this logo been restored for the Blu- ray edition?

Randy_M

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Randy
Just preordered using the HTF link. The Criterion DVD had a commentary track that seems to be missing here. Interesting. I'll have to listen to it again to see if it's worth keeping both discs.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Just preordered using the HTF link. The Criterion DVD had a commentary track that seems to be missing here. Interesting. I'll have to listen to it again to see if it's worth keeping both discs.

The commentary is missing, as is a still gallery and the booklet's essay.

I've not played it since 2001, but I liked the commentary back then!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
It is to me, as I listen to it back in June. I'm placing the DVD into the Blu-ray case.

Reactions: PMF

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher
It is to me, as I listen to it back in June. I'm placing the DVD into the Blu-ray case.

I was disappointed with the Criterion DVD because it looked very unnatural to me, so the BD will be a welcome upgrade. Like you I'll keep the DVD for the extras.

Picking up on the conversation about smoking, back in the day most adults who could afford it were smokers. As recently as 1965 - a year after the Surgeon General decreed that smoking causes cancer - 45% of American adults were smokers. So having actors smoke in movies was nothing out of the ordinary. My father was a doctor, and both he and my mother were smokers until 1964, when they quit because of the Surgeon General's warning. They nevertheless both eventually developed lung cancer.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I watched my copy tonight. My Man Godfrey positively sparkles on Blu-ray! It was truly as if I were seeing the film for the first time.
Yes, the picture quality was tremendous. People should be very happy with the video and audio presentations. I watched a couple of the featurettes. Other than not including an audio commentary, Criterion did well.

Real Name
Klaus Stukator
Again folks, can anyone confirm if the original Universal logo from 1936 has been restored to the Blu-ray presentation?

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Which logo are you referring to? On this youtube video I don't see a logo with 'New Universal" Do you think the one you are referring to is missing from this compilation? I know the compilation is missing the logo used for "The Birds". "the birds' was the first film to drop 'International" from the Universal name. If I recall correctly "My Man Godfrey" has no Universal logo. It begins with the title, New Universal Presents " My Man Godfrey" . I guess you are saying it originally had a Universal logo. Films that have gone into public domain can be difficult as far as logos go. I know prints of " The Most Dangerous Game" released in 1932 have the RKO Radio Pictures logo instead of Radio Pictures which would have been on films released in 1932. Could be because of a re release or because all RKO logos were removed from the pictures when they were sold to TV and someone made an error when the RKO logo was restored.

Last edited:
Real Name
Klaus Stukator
Sorry to hear that. I remember seeing a very decent print from the British Film Institute many years ago which had the then new Universal art deco logo at the start of the movie. But you are right, the logo did not include the word "new". It would have been nice if the logo had been restored. As far as I know several other Universal films are missing the original logo at the start as well, such as "Dracula" and "Frankenstein", the one with the airplane, of course.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks