What's new

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
I am not bothered really, I have just made note. When I was teaching the movie history section of my course in high school, the excessive smoking was often a source of unintended comedy in the class. In “The Women” a big deal is made of Norma Shearer lighting a cigarette with loving close ups etc. The students thought this was really funny.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Regarding the “Thin Man” films. We all seem to notice how much smoking goes on in classic films. My wife and I are noticing also how being drunk and heavy drinking are supposed to be “hilarious” in these same movies. This seems to have gone out with Foster Brooks in our society, and is a turn off now.
I always find smoking in films a massive distraction, as it usually has no relevance to the plot or scene. In most of these scenes, nothing would be lost if the character was not smoking.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I would argue that no other actor of Hollywood's Golden era ever had a year better than William Powell did in 1936 - My Man Godfrey, After the Thin Man, Libeled Lady, The Great Ziegfeld, and The Ex-Mrs. Bradford. Even the least of these films - arguably Bradford - is still a solid Thin Man-like film. I'm eagerly awaiting to see what Criterion and Universal have wrought with this film. Take note WAC - we need a lot more William Powell on blu!
While I agree that Powell had a fantastic year, I’d give the greatest actor/year award to Thomas Mitchell in 1939

Only Angels Have Wings
The Hunchback Of Notre Dame
Mr. Smith Goes To Washington
Gone With The Wind
Stagecoach
(Best Supporting win)

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I always find smoking in films a massive distraction, as it usually has no relevance to the plot or scene. In most of these scenes, nothing would be lost if the character was not smoking.
There are some scenes I cannot imagine without Bogart smoking. This is coming from someone who has never smoked (anything legal) and who hates second hand smoke.
F@&$K! Really?
:lol::P:lol:

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Sidebar.... I loved William Powell in Mister Roberts. Will that film ever get a decent HD transfer?

It’s not a matter of “a decent HD transfer,” as there is nothing to properly transfer in full quality.

Longish film at 11,000 + feet, and in need of help. Expensive, but agree that it needs to be saved. Some decent talent involved.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member

Smoking was sign of sophistication at the time the movies were filmed. Smoking helped set the atmosphere of the films. Unfortunately in real life the idea that smoking was sophisticated was a reason people started smoking. Things change over time. Remember in the film "Sleeper" Woody Allen's character finds out that science has discovered, in the distant future, that smoking is one of the most healthy things you can do.

Last edited:

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
It’s not a matter of “a decent HD transfer,” as there is nothing to properly transfer in full quality.

Longish film at 11,000 + feet, and in need of help. Expensive, but agree that it needs to be saved. Some decent talent involved.
Well, that explains it and I should have surmised as much. We have to keep reminding ourselves that despite the wealth of restored or cleaned-up BDs available that not all of our key titles are spared in the race to preserve. "Mister Roberts" (1955) and "The Nun's Story" (1959) are two such cases with the Warner library. Is it a case of that era's film stock? Or is it a case involving other issues?

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Well, that explains it and I should have surmised as much. We have to keep reminding ourselves that despite the wealth of restored or cleaned-up BDs available that not all of our key titles are spared in the race to preserve. "Mister Roberts" (1955) and "The Nun's Story" (1959) are two such cases with the Warner library. Is it a case of that era's film stock? Or is it a case involving other issues?

Nun’s Story has more problems.

Reactions: PMF

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I am not bothered really, I have just made note. When I was teaching the movie history section of my course in high school, the excessive smoking was often a source of unintended comedy in the class. In “The Women” a big deal is made of Norma Shearer lighting a cigarette with loving close ups etc. The students thought this was really funny.
I think the students need to be taught context and understanding the times when the movie was made. IMHO.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin

The same could be said about the use of profanity in most films.

---------------

There are some scenes I cannot imagine without Bogart smoking. This is coming from someone who has never smoked (anything legal) and who hates second hand smoke.

:lol::P:lol:

yea my ex wife used to tell me that secondhand smoke kills, all the time, and i always gave her the same answer back, .... Not effectively, i guess!

as for alcohol used for humor, last one like that was maybe Strange Brew,

and No profanity, well then The Big Lebowski would be what a fifteen minuet short on SNL without it

Last edited:

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
Boy have you never taught highschool!

No, I was an instructor at Navy Bootcamp, so same mentality of students i guess, i know there are no dumb questions, but honestly some do just make you ponder what is wrong with some people.

as for smoking in classic films, ever think it was just the studios making that accommodation for a star that smoked, so that they didn't need a break in the shooting of a film.

also gotta admit, it works great for film noir

Reactions: PMF

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks