What's new

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Richard Benjamin's first foray into direction, was a relatively low-budget affair, shot on both coasts - location in various parts of New York, and studio work at M-G-M in Culver City.

It was photographed by one of my favorite cinematographers, who would work equally well in black & white, as well as that new-fangled Eastman Color.

Black & white, think Fail-Safe and the brilliant Young Frankenstein. Color, Goodbye, Columbus (there's that connection) and Last Summer.

My Favorite Year (1982) is one of my favorite films. Not just of the era, but ever.

I've always considered it to be the last of the great Errol Flynn films, although strangely, Mr. Flynn, who was unavailable, is played not by an Australian, but rather, by some Englishman.

Regardless, for those who are unaware, I suggest you order a copy immediately - possibly avoid Amazon - and place it at the top of your "to view" pile.

It's That good!

With huge thanks to Warner Archive of finally making this available as a Blu-ray!

As an extra, a quality commentary by herr director.

Image – 5

Audio – 5

Pass / Fail – Pass

Upgrade from DVD – You'd better believe it

Very Highly Recommended

RAH

Last edited by a moderator:

raphdude

Stunt Coordinator
Richard Benjamin's first foray into direction, was a relatively low-budget affair, shot on both coasts - location in various parts of New York, and studio work at M-G-M in Culver City.

It was photographed by one of my favorite cinematographers, who would work equally well in black & white, as well as that new-fangled Eastman Color.

Black & white, think Fail-Safe and the brilliant Young Frankenstein. Color, Goodbye, Columbus (there's that connection) and Last Summer.

My Favorite Year (1982) is one of my favorite films. Not just of the era, but ever.

I've always considered it to be the last of the great Errol Flynn films, although strangely, Mr. Flynn, who was unavailable, is played not by an Australian, but rather, by some Englishman.

Regardless, for those who are unaware, I suggest you order a copy immediately - possibly avoid Amazon - and place it at the top of your "to view" pile.

It's That good!

With huge thanks to Warner Archive of finally making this available as a Blu-ray!

Image – 5

Audio – 5

Pass / Fail – Pass

Very Highly Recommended

RAH

Thanks for the early review, RAH. One of my favorite comedies and films ever! I think the only person who would not like this film is Boss Hijack himself:)!!!

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Again, why?

Don;t know why Amazon has had issues for the last 6-9 months with most of the WAC discs, but it's happened to more discs than not.
Yet another Amazon distributor issue -- Disney, WAC, Universal and Sony Allied Vaughn pressed MODs, general Warner titles.
More releases than not it appears Amazon has little ability to deliver on time or even within several weeks of release.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Learn something new all the time. I am surprised this very New York set film had its interiors filmed in Culver City. Was anything filmed at 30 Rock?

Last edited:

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Learn something new all the time. I am surprised this very New York set film had its interiors filmed in Culver City. Was anything filmed at 30 Rock?

Apparently, only exteriors, and possibly lobby. One would have to look closely. Or may be noted in the commentary, which I find quite open and honest.

Reactions: PMF

MarkA

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark Abel
Apparently, only exteriors, and possibly lobby. One would have to look closely. Or may be noted in the commentary, which I find quite open and honest.
I visited the rooftop set when my friend was filming a part in Billy Wilder's Buddy Buddy!

Reactions: PMF

jan goorsky

Agent
Story line is very close to Neil Simon's "Laughter on the 23rd Floor". Watch Lainie Kazan try out the Jewish Mother character that she later used on "The Nanny"

filmnoirguy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Lon Cross

It's That good!

Image – 5

Audio – 5

Pass / Fail – Pass

Very Highly Recommended

RAH

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member