1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

A Few Words About A few words about...™ My Fair Lady (Take Two) -- in Blu-ray

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Robert Harris, Oct 26, 2015.

1. Powell&Pressburger

Powell&Pressburger Screenwriter

Jack
    Finally watched the full film Thai afternoon and the transfer IMO is immaculate and looks tremendous on my plasma. Over the years is always admired the Ascot set and it usually got much praise but in this home video presentation Higgins' study and home looks incredible. The wallpapers, fabrics, upholstery, stain glass windows, bookcases and furnishings just look insanely beautiful. I wanted to love ice their or at least raid the place!

The audio sounds incredible in 7.1 and the audio had great separation from center left and right and the horse race of course never impressed me on previous DVD / LD audio tracks it was cool to get a sense of the race coming from behind circling you without making it sound harsh or poorly executed.

Enough can't be said about this HD transfer. I really can't imagine how crazy this would look on 4K HD BLU. The only bonus material I wish we could have included on the bonus disc would be an informative restoration short for the work that went into this release with technical info not just a fluff peice which no offense is what the Spartacus restoration doc felt like. I wanted more technical info then what was presented. I understand the exclusion of the old commentary track but I have that on my WB 2 Disc DVD set.

I appreciate the trailers presented in HD! Trailers are often just included in poor video quality so thank you whoever stepped up and said lets present these in HD.

2. DeeF

DeeF Screenwriter

Just chiming in. I received the new bluray package, and the movie does indeed look and sound glorious, as expected.

I do have one question about it for you Mr. Harris. I recall you mentioning somewhere that during your restoration 20 years ago, you found the audio soundtrack (on the original negative) to be very slightly out of sync as printed on the film. This was something you corrected, and it has been correct on all the versions of the movie which I have purchased.

Until today. On my bluray disk of the movie itself, which came today, the audio is slightly out of sync with the video. It's most noticable during the songs, but in particular, the beginning of "I Could Have Danced All Night." I tested it over and over, and I don't know if it's my equipment or it's endemic to the movie, or if it's this restoration, or if it's a faulty bluray mastering problem. The disk with the features is in sync.

I was able to compensate on my player, adding 200 ms delay to the audio. The film audio and video then sync up perfectly.

I hope this doesn't come across as a complaint, just some confusion on my part. Again, it may be my equipment, though this is the first time this has happened to me with a bluray.

As always, your work is exemplary.

3. Chuck Pennington

Chuck Pennington Supporting Actor

It's funny, but I didn't notice the slight sync issues at the theatre, but I do see it on the Blu-ray, albeit only slightly during some musical numbers that always had rubbery sync anyway.

4. DeeF

DeeF Screenwriter

My 200 ms audio delay really helps make the dialogue and singing very crisp. I thought it might throw some of the dialogue out of sync, but it doesn't.

5. rsmithjr

rsmithjr Screenwriter

Robert Smith
    I always felt that the singing was out of sync, even in the original 70mm presentations I saw.

I will check the Blu-ray when I watch it (it is to be a Christmas present so I have to wait!)

6. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Archivist
    Reviewer

Robert Harris
    Picture and track are in no way physically connected via original Neg.

Sync is what it always has been. Any time we would check, we would go to the Mr. Harrison's songs, which were locked in sync. All others were playbacks, and or vocal replacements.

Mark-P likes this.
  7. Dr Griffin

Dr Griffin Cinematographer

Zxpndk
    I finally got this at a Target yesterday. Watched it in its entirety this morning. I was very impressed with the black level. As for the lack of low end, I thought the tuba carried appropriate weight at the beginning of the scene with Baroness Rothschild. Maybe high compression pop music, and bombastic modern soundtracks, has skewed people's idea of the real world sound of orchestral music. Sync issues do seem to be scene dependent. Ms. Hepburn's close up scene right before the horse race looks off, but the singers in the race sequence look dead-on.

I also had packaging issues, and after reading some complaints and inspecting my own packaging, it looks like the slots for discs 2 & 3 may have been attached backwards. The slot for disc 1 had the lip at the bottom aiming up and out, allowing the disc to slide right in, while 2 & 3 looked attached the wrong way with the lip aiming inward. I had to take a thin metal file and pry the lip out to get the discs in. Discs 2 & 3 were both loose in my packaging. I think if you are going to design a different type of packaging, at least see to it that it's done right. This is not about how I can return my set, I'm aware of the procedures.

8. DeeF

DeeF Screenwriter

It must be my equipment, thanks for replying!

9. Tony Bensley

Tony Bensley Producer

Anthony
    It's very technical, but from what I've read on the subject of audio/visual sync issues on DVD/Blu-ray, it is largely dependent on the Playback Device's capabilities regarding syncing it up, as the audio and video are never technically in sync on the Discs themselves!

I won't be playing the Blu-ray until at least Christmas either, so for me, this will have to wait!

CHEERS! :)

10. Cinemel

Cinemel Auditioning

Mel Matsil
    I did notice a slight synch issue with Eliza"s songs. However, I switched over to the Japanese track where the songs are
    in English (dialog in Japanese) and the synch seemed better. I enjoyed both the blu-ray and the theater presentation of
    MFL, so this afternoon I am going to see Oklahoma! on the big screen. I'm hoping it's the Todd AO version. Will report
    back later.

11. Jonathan Perregaux

Jonathan Perregaux Screenwriter

Jonathan Perregaux
    I rather like the packaging. It has a nice heft to it and is attractive. That photo of Audrey is my favorite.

I experienced no misadventures opening the package and accessing the discs. I said "Oh!" instead of "Ow!"

12. Phil Crosby

Phil Crosby Extra

It took three tries to get the film's Blu-Ray to play, without dropping music or stopping and skipping during the overture. Finally, after the third cleaning, it worked and the film and sound are as gorgeous as reported. But I, like others, cannot get the second Blu-Ray to play at all. I get the CBS logo and all the legal disclaimers, and then my player ejects the disc as "unplayable." Has anyone found a workaround?

As beautiful as the packaging is, the way the discs are held is a crime, and not up the rest of this masterful work!!

Thank you RAH for all you have done!

SAhmed likes this.
  13. benbess

benbess Producer

Ben
    Saw My Fair Lady today at my local theater today. Amazing. The only other time I saw it was 20 years ago on VHS, and so in a way you could say I never really saw it before. At first my jaw was dropping because of the amazing picture and sound quality, but very soon I was just lost in the movie. It was much funnier and more emotional than I ever imagined it could be. Laughed out loud several time, and choked up almost as many times. A wonderful film in every way. They truly don't make movies like this anymore, and so it's a gift to have this one looking even better than it looked back in 1964.

PMF likes this.
  14. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Archivist
    Reviewer

Robert Harris
    Which is precisely why they need to be saved for generations to come.

Jimbo64, JoelA, Charles Smith and 2 others like this.
  15. ScottHM

ScottHM Supporting Actor

Scott
    Yes! My wife and I saw the film in a 2K showing on the 18th, and she wanted to see it again today where we had the opportunity to view it in 4K on a larger screen. I was very impressed with the upgrade in picture quality. I'm happy to say that while the audience was another small one, there were several young people in attendance and they seemed to thoroughly enjoy the film.

---------------

benbess likes this.
  16. Cinemel

Cinemel Auditioning

Mel Matsil
    Saw Oklahoma! this afternoon in the same multiplex as MFL. The screen today was bigger than the MFL screen. The 4K presen-
    tation was spectacular. It was as clear and bright as the blu-ray and they did show the Todd AO version. The sound was also fine with the orchestra spread right across the front of the theater with voices coming from the appropriate places on the
    screen. There wasn't much surround activity. I would have liked the volume to be a bit louder.
    Before the film Kristen Chenoweth sang 3 songs from the score and then introduced Ted Chaphin of the Rodgers and
    Hammerstein organization who showed the difference between the 35MM and 70MM film strips. He explained that we would
    be seeing the 70mm version. The Overture, Entr'acte and exit music were all present. However at the intermission point
    they went straight into the entr'acte and into act II with no break. the audience again seemed to really enjoy the film.
    Poor Jud is Dead got the most audience reaction. Fantasia is coming up next in a few weeks.

benbess likes this.
  17. battlebeast

battlebeast Cinematographer

Warren
    Mr. Harris

Just a thank you to you and the whole team! The movie was SPECTACULAR!!!!

Btw, I am happy to finally put your name to your face, as I saw you on the "making of" bonus feature. When about did you record that?

Thanks again for all your hard work!!!

Warren

benbess likes this.
  18. moviebuff75

moviebuff75 Supporting Actor

Eric Scott Richard
    I will be showing this at my outdoor theater next summer. I wish RAH could work on West Side Story. It needs his loving hands.

19. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Archivist
    Reviewer

Robert Harris
    There are no problems with West Side Story. It's owned by MGM, and the original negative is pristine.

RAH

PMF and moviebuff75 like this.
  20. moviebuff75

moviebuff75 Supporting Actor

Eric Scott Richard
    Good to hear. I wish the blu were reflective of that.