What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ My Fair Lady (Take Two) -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Thank you so much Robert Harris for your review as it is the very reason I went out and purchased the new restored release of My Fair Lady on blu-ray. Even if this movie never sees light of day on 4K HDR or Dolby Vision blu-ray this release looks extremely good on 1080p!

IMG_6392a.jpg

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Thank you so much Robert Harris for your review as it is the very reason I went out and purchased the new restored release of My Fair Lady on blu-ray. Even if this movie never sees light of day on 4K HDR or Dolby Vision blu-ray this release looks extremely good on 1080p!

View attachment 55721

Why, might you suppose, that MFL is in need of Dolby Vision?

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Why, might you suppose, that MFL is in need of Dolby Vision?

Not that it really needs it but am interested in seeing it in HDR or Dolby Vision. I was just thinking the wider color might enhance the movie. What are your thoughts on a 4K version of MFL? Or is the blu-ray upconverted going to look just as good?

Reactions: PMF

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Not that it really needs it but am interested in seeing it in HDR or Dolby Vision. I was just thinking the wider color might enhance the movie. What are your thoughts on a 4K version of MFL? Or is the blu-ray upconverted going to look just as good?

MFL is glorious in 4k. HDR could potentially cause harm, and not good.

Not all films are ripe to be HDR’d.

Fortunately, we do have the means to HDR an image, akin to waving vermouth over vodka.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
It seems so clearly made to look like Eliza's shadow, I always assumed we in the audience were supposed to know in that instant and during that shot of Higgins that Eliza was entering the room and could observe Higgins' emotional state. Then, as Rob_Ray said, that the following shot of Eliza entering the scene was simply a slight unavoidable continuity error.

Did Gene Allen say it was an accident and that his shadow was not meant to be seen? Or did he serve as an impromptu stand-in for Audrey Hepburn in order to create that shadow intentionally when Miss Hepburn was not on the set?

lol. I guess I can't get past the issue of the shadow looking so much like the way we see Eliza just seconds later; overall size and shape, hat, position in the room and all, without assuming it was either Hepburn as Eliza or someone else trying to look like Hepburn as Eliza. Was Gene Allen generally the same size and shape as Audrey Hepburn in those days and often taking to wearing Eliza Doolittle style hats on the set? Not trying to be facetious here, although I can see why one might see it that way. I am just trying to understand why, intentional or not, Gene Allen's shadow would work so well as Audrey Hepburn's Eliza's shadow at such a moment.
I really think you should be asking Lamont Cranston about The Shadow ;) ...

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
My first awareness of Andre Previn's name began in childhood with the Masterworks LP soundtrack of "My Fair Lady". When you hear not only music, lyrics and great interpretive voices; but also an orchestral arrangement that soars; how can ones musical tastes be dictated by anything of lesser values and prominence? Thank you Mr. Previn for setting the stage and standards of the four year-old me.:thumbs-up-smiley:

Last edited:

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Yes, a sad loss and a surprising one. An obituary I read in Variety misstated that Coco, for which he wrote the music, won the Best Musical Tony Award. It didn't (lost to Applause), but his musical touch extended from movies to Broadway to the concert stages of the world. He will certainly be missed.
A major talent. His reminiscences of his time in Hollywood, No Minor Chords, is well worth reading. I think I'll read it again tomorrow in honor of the man.

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
He has long been a personal hero of mine, from his Hollywood days, through his jazz records and to his prodigious and wonderful classical recordings.
I'm having a birthday lunch next week with the famous French horn player Barry Tuckwell, who knew Andre well and respected him greatly. We'll certainly be lifting a glass to Andre......

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
I was listening to the LP Mr. Previn did with Doris Day this morning and wondering how he was doing.

So sorry to hear he has passed on.

An extraordinary man, and a great artist.

Also someone who had a great deal of energy to get all those things done at once: arranging and composing soundtracks, heading a jazz trio, writing a succession of pretty good pop songs, leading a symphony orchestra; and doing it all so well.

And, as Mr. Harris attests, a man of great generosity and benevolence.

I met him many years ago when I was working as a liaison staff person for a concert hall, and he was doing a recording there. He seemed to have no interest in promoting himself, but was focused on the work alone. Such a kind and gentle man. And he managed to create a palpable sense of joy among the musicians he worked with. Nothing fazed him. He was always smiling, behaving as if what they were doing was akin to walking through Central Park on a summer's day. And he listened to people, making them feel an essential part of things. Mostly, what I got from him was an incredible sense of fun.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
He was amazing in every facet of music that he touched -- Hollywood, Broadway, jazz, classical, symphonic -- and I'm not surprised in the least to hear that he was a remarkable gentleman in every way.

Just to throw in a personal opinion: As great a classical musican as he was, I always wished he had stayed longer in Hollywood. I know he was done with it and ready to move on. But his original soundtracks (Dead Ringer, The Subterraneans, Two for the Seesaw, Elmer Gantry) are stunning in their perfection across each of those genres. And did he not contribute additional scoring to My Fair Lady, Kismet, One Two Three, and others? And his piano work -- my God, he could play. Listen to the jazz albums, brilliant in their composition and execution. A phenomenon.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
If you like Mozart, you should listen to Andre Previn's recording with Sir Adrian Boult of Piano Concertos Nos. 17 & 24. As you say, he certainly could play the piano.

I'll do that. Thanks.

Paul Penna

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul
I'm having a birthday lunch next week with the famous French horn player Barry Tuckwell, who knew Andre well and respected him greatly. We'll certainly be lifting a glass to Andre......

I just have to say wow. If you get a chance, tell him his recording of the Mozart concertos with Peter Maag has been my favorite ever since I got my first copy on LP back in the 60s. Also my admiration for Previn.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks