What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ My Fair Lady (Take Two) -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
And I completely forgot about that West Side Story novelization with the striking film artwork on the cover. Yes indeed, everybody had that one. And I guess we were all at that age in which however they described "those" scenes was endlessly intriguing...

Last edited:

Charles Smith

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Okay, it seems my memory on these left a lot to be desired, because I see I also have screenplay novelizations for Bye Bye Birdie and Funny Girl right here on the shelf. I don't remember a word of it now, but I know I loved that Birdie one back in the day.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Okay, it seems my memory on these left a lot to be desired, because I see I also have screenplay novelizations for Bye Bye Birdie and Funny Girl right here on the shelf. I don't remember a word of it now, but I know I loved that Birdie one back in the day.
I never saw either of those because I surely would have bought them since the play scripts weren't available.

Race Bannon

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jay
That's a novelization I never knew existed.

As a kid, I collected paperback novelizations and other movie tie-ins and I still have my favorites here, more for the cover art and the novelty of it than anything. But the only novelizations of musicals I've had or can even think of off the top of my head are the Meredith Willson ones, The Music Man and The Unsinkable Molly Brown. The former is truly interesting, as Willson penned it himself, and as I recall -- as you noted with the My Fair Lady one -- the fleshing out of the scenes and characters is wonderful.

I bought movie novelizations, too. In the days before home video and the internet, it felt like one of the only ways to connect with movies I liked or was excited about.

Charles Smith

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
I bought movie novelizations, too. In the days before home video and the internet, it felt like one of the only ways to connect with movies I liked or was excited about.

Those, and soundtrack recordings ... exactly.

Charles Smith

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
"One evening the king will say:
'Oh, Liza, old thing,
I want all of England your praises to sing.
Next week on the twentieth of May
I proclaim Liza Doolittle Day!'"

And so it was written.

A happy one, to one and all!

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Is the 50th Anniversary Edition going OP? I noticed Amazon is only selling it through 3rd parties. Price has not risen yet. You can still get it currently for $13,99 plus $3.99 shipping.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Is the 50th Anniversary Edition going OP? I noticed Amazon is only selling it through 3rd parties. Price has not risen yet. You can still get it currently for $13,99 plus $3.99 shipping.

Hmmm. Looks like you're right. I saw this amazing restoration in the theater a couple of years ago, and have been putting off getting the blu-ray. But if it's going out of print (???) Anyway, just got it today.

Reactions: PMF

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
What I would like to know is this title in good enough shape to make it to 4K UHD BD? I currently have the 50th Anniversary BD edition which looks good but would not hesitate to purchase a 4K UHD version if it became available and was a good transfer that looked good enough to take advantage of the format. I am under the impression that My Fair Lady was scanned in 8K and has a 4K master so I would think it would be a good candidate for 4K UHD as long as the title has what it takes to look good on 4K UHD.

113301_slip.jpg

So my question would be would this title benefit from a 4K UHD BD transfer in Dolby Vision or at lest HDR?

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
I wonder when one of the 6 to 8k scan large format titles will show up that already have a 4k DCP.

Currently waiting for, in alphabetical order:

Ben-Hur
Hello, Dolly!
Lawrence of Arabia

My Fair Lady
Oklahoma!
Samsara

Spartacus
The Hateful 8
The Sound of Music

These are the ones that come to mind as having a good chance to be released on 4k UHD.

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
I believe Mr. Harris said there was some room for improvement on the Blu-ray release of Cleopatra. Hopefully it's a big enough seller for Fox that they'll consider revisiting that title in UHD in the future.

Reactions: PMF

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks