What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ My Fair Lady -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Originally Posted by eric scott richard /t/315932/a-few-words-about-my-fair-lady-in-blu-ray/90#post_3868632
I'm still getting this. I like the film, but it isn't my favorite movie musical. I think I will be okay with the disc.
Indianapolis will be taking back its key to the city.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
On a positive note, and we need a few positives notes in this thread, I suggest checking out this link.

http://www.theinspiration.com/2011/09/carlsberg-stunt-in-cinema/

Good fun.

RAH

GMpasqua

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
So If another film from the 1960's looked like this would anyone be disappointed? Is it just because MFL was shot in 70MM that is people are expecting perfection?

The screen shots don't look bad, but if there is 50% fading on the edges that would definately take any from the image and look awful. If this is an easy correction and not requireing a new master but but some transfer adjusting - wouldn't it be considered a disc defect and shouldn't a replacement disc should be issued?

Any reason why CBS didn't do a new transfer based off the 70MM elements? Would that be very expensive?

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Originally Posted by GMpasqua /t/315932/a-few-words-about-my-fair-lady-in-blu-ray/90#post_3868850
So If another film from the 1960's looked like this would anyone be disappointed? Is it just because MFL was shot in 70MM that is people are expecting perfection?

The screen shots don't look bad, but if there is 50% fading on the edges that would definately take any from the image and look awful. If this is an easy correction and not requireing a new master but but some transfer adjusting - wouldn't it be considered a disc defect and shouldn't a replacement disc should be issued?

Any reason why CBS didn't do a new transfer based off the 70MM elements? Would that be very expensive?
Any major film should be seen on Blu-ray as perfectly as possible, based upon extant elements and available budget, irrelevant of gauge or age.

Budgets should be set in line with the importance of the film, and perceived income over a certain time period.

Screen shots should look fine, and the discs are not defective in any way. They merely mirror what is on the HD master.

Expense toward a new master on My Fair Lady is a non-issue, as the film will bring in tens of millions of dollars over the next decade.

Only CBS can answer why they haven't stepped up to the plate and treated the film in a more deserving manner. Especially as the film is a "cash cow."

RAH

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Robert Harris said:
Any major film should be seen on Blu-ray as perfectly as possible, based upon extant elements and available budget, irrelevant of gauge or age.
Budgets should be set in line with the importance of the film, and perceived income over a certain time period.
Screen shots should look fine, and the discs are not defective in any way.  They merely mirror what is on the HD master.
Expense toward a new master on My Fair Lady is a non-issue, as the film will bring in tens of millions of dollars over the next decade.
Only CBS can answer why they haven't stepped up to the plate and treated the film in a more deserving manner.  Especially as the film is a "cash cow."
RAH
I think the feeling among the studios, given the whole 'blu-ray is dead' discussions on this forum and others (even thought I whole-heartedly disagree), and the discussions that no pre-2k films (i.e. classics) are guaranteed 'cash cow's (once again, I completely disagree), is that no extra expense should be taken. With their incorrect interpretations, its like throwing good money away.
It is sad. It is wrong-headed. It is also a self-fulfilling prophecy - poor quality leads to poor word of mouth which leads to poor sales. This unfortunately reinforces their false assumption.
David

GMpasqua

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
Well the classic catalog titles releases seemed to have dried up.

Nothing much has been announced for next year and we're already into Nov (Jan/Feb usually see a large amount of releases since that is peak time for staying in and watching movies) yet we have only "Dangerous Liaisons" and "Meet Me in St Louis" from Warner are on the schedule (neither of which interest me) and "Stars and Strips" from FOX

of course the country in going down the tubes so is anyone buying anything anymore?

Paul Rossen

Screenwriter
GMpasqua said:
Well the classic catalog titles releases seemed to have dried up.
Nothing much has been announced for next year and we're already into Nov (Jan/Feb usually see a large amount of releases since that is peak time for staying in and watching movies) yet we have only "Dangerous Liaisons" and "Meet Me in St Louis" from Warner are on the schedule (neither of which interest me) and "Stars and Strips" from FOX
of course the country in going down the tubes so is anyone buying anything anymore?
Isn't Cleopatra in the 'wings' for January 2012? If so I'd expect other Fox 70mm blu releases shortly thereafter...

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
Paul Rossen said:
Isn't Cleopatra in the 'wings' for January 2012? If so I'd expect other Fox 70mm blu releases shortly thereafter...
Yes, the release date is expected soon. It's January 30th in the UK. Fox seems to be announcing their classic Blu-ray releases about 6 weeks before they street.

marsnkc

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Andrew
MattH. said:
Warners also announced Singin' in the Rain, Baby Jane, and Camelot for 2012.
This is like rubbing salt into the wound! The Inert (to borrow a word you used in a recent review, Matt, and most appropriate here) film of Lerner and Lowe's other masterpiece will most probably look like Imax, while MFL..............

Everett S.

Movie King (formally a projectionist)
Real Name
Everett
I don't know what to do I ordered the box set on this & West Side Story? I have a 136" screen & very pickey about picture & sound!

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Originally Posted by Everett Stallings /t/315932/a-few-words-about-my-fair-lady-in-blu-ray/90#post_3868962
I don't know what to do I ordered the box set on this & West Side Story? I have a 136" screen & very pickey about picture & sound!
If you have high standards for image and sound wait until MGM fixes West Side Story, after which it will be fine, and do not purchase My Fair Lady.

RAH

GMpasqua

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
You really can see how the sides are lighter in appearance on some of the screen shots over at Blu-ray.copm. This really is unacceptable - the image should be even throughout - CBS/Paramount should have went the extra mile or two to given us a top presentation (Especially after the wonderful job they did on Breakfast at Tiffany's, Once Upon a Time in the West, and The Ten Commandments)

Mr Harris, did you ever contact Paramount/CBS and offer your services?

In some ways this is like the orginal widescreen laserdisc - only after which a true restoration was done and a brand new Laserdisc was issued in 1994

"My Fair Lady" is not only one of the top 5 greatest film musicals of the golden era it is also one of the best films of the 1960's and still holds up well today where it is loved by millions

I would think "My Fair Lady" would sell hundreds of dozens more copies than "Scrooge" which is less popular and since it is holiday based only popular during the Christmas season, yet that film managed to look very good

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Originally Posted by GMpasqua /t/315932/a-few-words-about-my-fair-lady-in-blu-ray/90#post_3868966
You really can see how the sides are lighter in appearance on some of the screen shots over at Blu-ray.copm. This really is unacceptable - the image should be even throughout - CBS/Paramount should have went the extra mile or two to given us a top presentation (Especially after the wonderful job they did on Breakfast at Tiffany's, Once Upon a Time in the West, and The Ten Commandments)

Mr Harris, did you ever contact Paramount/CBS and offer your services?

In some ways this is like the orginal widescreen laserdisc - only after which a true restoration was done and a brand new Laserdisc was issued in 1994

"My Fair Lady" is not only one of the top 5 greatest film musicals of the golden era it is also one of the best films of the 1960's and still holds up well today where it is loved by millions

I would think "My Fair Lady" would sell hundreds of dozens more copies than "Scrooge" which is less popular and since it is holiday based only popular during the Christmas season, yet that film managed to look very good
One more time. All together now...

Paramount has nothing to do with this. They are merely a distributor via the Viacom connection.

RAH

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Originally Posted by David Weicker /t/315932/a-few-words-about-my-fair-lady-in-blu-ray/90#post_3868858
I think the feeling among the studios, given the whole 'blu-ray is dead' discussions on this forum and others (even thought I whole-heartedly disagree), and the discussions that no pre-2k films (i.e. classics) are guaranteed 'cash cow's (once again, I completely disagree), is that no extra expense should be taken. With their incorrect interpretations, its like throwing good money away.
It is sad. It is wrong-headed. It is also a self-fulfilling prophecy - poor quality leads to poor word of mouth which leads to poor sales. This unfortunately reinforces their false assumption.
David

Everything you have said here is true. I reject the notion that "Blu-ray is dead." Do dead formats spark discussion about their future? Keep in mind that home video itself was born during a lousy economy, and it only hit its stride once the economy began to recover. http://people.ucsc.edu/~yorik/MR2011/AMSMRsamples2011/LectWed_4_6.pdf
This is like rubbing salt into the wound! The Inert (to borrow a word you used in a recent review, Matt, and most appropriate here) film of Lerner and Lowe's other masterpiece will most probably look like Imax, while MFL..............

Camelot isn't one of my favorites, although I only saw it once when I was really tired and unable to concentrate, but I may buy it if the sound issues of the DVD are not transferred to Blu-Ray. When I think of everything George Feltenstein has done for Warner's library, I dread thinking about who will take his place; eventually, the day will come when he is no longer at Warner Bros. I volunteer myself.

marsnkc

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Andrew
MatthewA said:
What is happening is that the people who run the studios don't even seem to know that these films exist. They're not movie makers or even movie moguls; they're MBAs who happen to work at studios and could be placed at any other industry in America.
I hope you have no idea of the complete truth of what you're saying here, Matthew. I've had the misfortune, at one time or another, to come in contact with more than my share of these 'ladies and gentlemen' (from top to bottom of the pecking order, inside and outside the studios). The kindest (self-censored), word to describe them is 'insecure', and you know what insecurity can do to the human condition. If they feel threatened....
As for being placeable in any other industry in America, I've been saying for decades that, if there was more money to be had in the chicken-shit fertilizer business, that's where they'd be, happily rolling in it (and where those secure in themselves and their talent would like to see them).

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Seriously?! I've looked and looked at those screencaps at blu-ray.com and to my eyes the image looks uniform all the way across. I can't see what it is that is off. Is it something that is only visible when the camera is in motion?
GMpasqua said:
You really can see how the sides are lighter in appearance on some of the screen shots over at Blu-ray.copm.  This really is unacceptable - the image should be even throughout - CBS/Paramount should have went the extra mile or two to given us a top presentation

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Originally Posted by Mark-P /t/315932/a-few-words-about-my-fair-lady-in-blu-ray/90#post_3869034
Seriously?! I've looked and looked at those screencaps at blu-ray.com and to my eyes the image looks uniform all the way across. I can't see what it is that is off. Is it something that is only visible when the camera is in motion?
Agreed. They look quite good. And no, static camera, in motion, inverted...

Everett S.

Movie King (formally a projectionist)
Real Name
Everett
Ethan Riley said:
Mr. Harris, do not take this the wrong way, but I don't think anything they'd do without your participation would make you happy. You're the one who spent countless hours restoring that film, and you're the one who has 100% knowledge of its flaws and limitations, no matter the medium. If they're smart, they'll let this current release stand for 3 more years and then re-release it as a 50th anniversary set, get off the dime, and have you take another crack at it.
As for me, I'll probably buy it simply because I'm on bluray now with a huge tv screen and the old dvd doesn't look all that hot on my screen. I'll put up with it, but for a film of this caliber, I very much doubt this particular blu-ray will be the final word for My Fair Lady on home entertainment.
Well in 2017 there is a new home video spec coming out. They have been showing it off at C.E.S. the past few years. From what I read it has 25ch. sound & twice the resolution of Blu-Ray! So how long should I wait before I buy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks