What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ My Fair Lady -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Originally Posted by JParker /t/315932/a-few-words-about-my-fair-lady-in-blu-ray/450#post_3931295
I don't mean to quote myself but I wonder if Mr. Harris, (if there are no legal or other problematic issues) can answer:
I actually wrote Criterion (via e-mail), there was no reply, but they did a great Benjamin Button with Paramount/Viacom. They must have connections.
Could be an end run around CBS, what do you think?
The sales of the CBS version must be below expectations. Price dropped too on Amazon.com but I'm not interested.
No one from CBS ever answered me, no surprise. You posted you spoke to someone on an easy fix, I suspect they brushed you off.
This must be painful for you.
Hang in there!
J.

What an odd message...

JParker

Second Unit
Real Name
James Parker
Robert Harris said:
What an odd message...
OOOOOOOOOOOkay!
I've no dog in this fight. I thought you took professional pride in your work and since the public can't see it now, in this format, you'd be upset. Silly me.
I'll just wait for Lawrence and write this one off! :D

ShellOilJunior

Second Unit
GMpasqua said:
Wonder if this title is too popular for a Criterion release?
Would CBS license it out?

Criterion has release popular classic films on DVD "Spartacus" and Laser Disc "Lawrence of Arabia" "Wizard of Oz" "West Side Story" n the past
I don't think anything is too popular for a Criterion release. Recently they teased an upcoming release of ON THE WATERFRONT (but that's Sony and they seem to be licensing more of their Columbia catalog these days).
I'm no insider but my hunch says Paramount will not let this one slip away....

JParker

Second Unit
Real Name
James Parker
ShellOilJunior said:
I don't think anything is too popular for a Criterion release. Recently they teased an upcoming release of ON THE WATERFRONT (but that's Sony and they seem to be licensing more of their Columbia catalog these days).
I'm no insider but my hunch says Paramount will not let this one slip away....
Rights are owned by CBS, division of Viacom; Byzantine most likely.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/My_Fair_Lady_%28film%29#Copyright_issues
Copyright issues
The head of CBS, William S. Paley, put up the money for the original Broadway production in exchange for the rights to the cast album (through Columbia Records). When Warner bought the film rights in February 1962 for the then-unprecedented sum of $5 million, it was agreed that the rights to the film would revert to CBS seven years after its release.[6]
The first home video release was by MGM/CBS Home Video in 1981, and was re-released by CBS/Fox Video in 1984, 1986, 1991, 1994, and 1996.
Warner owned the film's original copyright, but it was renewed by CBS due to the 1971 rights reversion. From 1998-2008, Warner Home Video handled DVD distribution to the film on behalf of CBS Home Entertainment, while CBS Television Distribution owns the television rights. The theatrical distribution rights are currently handled by Hollywood Classics on behalf of Paramount Pictures and CBS.
Criterion was acquired. See here:
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/bet-founder-robert-johnson-acquire-image-entertainment-acorn-306779
http://www.rljcompanies.com/contact/
One can call RLJ and ask but I suspect it's hopeless.

JParker

Second Unit
Real Name
James Parker
Robert Harris said:
Excuse me!?:confused:
Robert, I'll go very slowly...
The original question by GMpasqua was:
Criterion has release popular classic films on DVD "Spartacus" and Laser Disc "Lawrence of Arabia" "Wizard of Oz" "West Side Story" n the past
Hence my reply -- I'd suspect there's the proverbial chance of the snowball in hell. However, one can always inquire. And I didn't get an answer from Criterion, so c'est tout! :P
Unless you've talked to Criterion and know otherwise. I'm just a paying customer, I don't get freebie review copies like some people! :rolleyes:

JParker

Second Unit
Real Name
James Parker
Unless Image doesn't own Criterion...it's all too confusing. Oh well, it doesn't matter, whoever owns Criterion, they don't reply to e-mail...

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Criterion was acquired. See here:
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/bet-founder-robert-johnson-acquire-image-entertainment-acorn-306779
http://www.rljcompanies.com/contact/
One can call RLJ and ask but I suspect it's hopeless.

Image Entertainment only distributes Criterion product. They do not own the company so Criterion were not acquired.

Criterion Collection was owned by The Voyager Company founded in 1984 and became defunct in 1997 when it split up into several parts. Three of the four original owners of Voyager kept The Criterion Collection and still own and run it today. The Criterion Collection is the parent company to Janus Films.

As much as I wish someone would re-do MY FAIR LADY, I have to be negative in that I don't see any improvement in the next few years. If CBS wanted to let someone else handle the film, they would have made a deal with Warner Brothers. I am sure that Warners offered a fair amount to renew the rights, but CBS thought they could do better themselves.

JParker

Second Unit
Real Name
James Parker
ahollis said:
Image Entertainment only distributes Criterion product.  They do not own the company so Criterion were not acquired. 
Criterion Collection was owned by The Voyager Company founded in 1984 and became defunct in 1997 when it split up into several parts.  Three of the four original owners of Voyager kept The Criterion Collection and still own and run it today.  The Criterion Collection is the parent company to Janus Films. 
As much as I wish someone would re-do MY FAIR LADY, I have to be negative in that I don't see any improvement in the next few years.  If CBS wanted to let someone else handle the film, they would have made a deal with Warner Brothers.  I am sure that Warners offered a fair amount to renew the rights, but CBS thought they could do better themselves. 
OK, I sent this a while back to Mr. H, hence my confusion, I suppose one can't trust everything one reads (except by Mr. H and the good people at HTF! :D)
http://www.thewrap.com/movies/article/bet-founder-buys-image-entertainment-and-acorn-media-36704
Image's holdings include feature films from brands such as the Criterion Collection, and a varied archive of television programs, music, comedy and audio content.
From Wiki, there's a "partnership" or a relationship, not outright ownership:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image_Entertainment#History
Image continued to work with its long term partner, The Criterion Collection, as well as hundreds of independent content producers and rights holders to bring products to the marketplace. By the 10th anniversary of the DVD, Image has once again established itself as a dominant distributor of independently produced programs. In 2008, Image began to expand its release schedule to include feature films.
But maybe Mr. Johnson will make them an offer they can't refuse in the future? Hmmm...where have I heard that before? Kidding! :)
Confusing but that's secondary. I suppose they get too many e-mails to reply to any one.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
James:

Greg asked a simple, speculative question about the chances of Criterion releasing My Fair Lady down the road.

Without an announcement of such (or the e-mail response you desire), there's not going to be a definitive answer. And it is unlikely that such a big title would have a future re-release revealed in an e-mail to an individual. Companies will usually save such large announcements for a press release.

So, while speculation can be fun...I'm not quite sure how all the ruminations on the BET, Image, CBS, Paramount relationships will advance any firm insight.

And, as for this:

I suppose one can't trust everything one reads (except by Mr. H and the good people at HTF! )

Keep in mind that much of what is written here at the HTF is opinion. And that none of the opinion written here (whether by RAH or our review staff) is infallible. Feel free to challenge it at any time. That is the stuff that makes most internet sites vibrant and alive.

But there is also an awful lot of expertise and knowledge that it is imparted here as well and that is where it is important to draw a distinction about what is correct and what isn't. And not everything written in these pages is factually correct. But there are so many knowledgeable members here that someone usually comes along to set the record straight and things get sorted out eventually.

I know one thing for sure though... It sure would be nice to get a high-quality Criterion-like release of My Fair Lady that would make fans of the film happy.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
JParker said:
Robert, I'll go very slowly...
The original question by GMpasqua was:
Hence my reply -- I'd suspect there's the proverbial chance of the snowball in hell. However, one can always inquire. And I didn't get an answer from Criterion, so c'est tout! :P
Unless you've talked to Criterion and know otherwise. I'm just a paying customer, I don't get freebie review copies like some people! :rolleyes:
My response was re: the sale of Criterion, as mentioned in the previous piece. Afaik, Crit has nothing to do with the Acorn, Image situation

JParker

Second Unit
Real Name
James Parker
Robert Harris said:
My response was re: the sale of Criterion, as mentioned in the previous piece. Afaik, Crit has nothing to do with the Acorn, Image situation
Yes, I re-read your post, I regret the misunderstanding. Criterion has never replied to any suggestion for a title, not even a form letter, so perhaps that is their policy. I suspect with the "egos" involved, CBS won't license the film to admit an error. If another, more receptive firm had influence, that was my hope. On the other hand, perhaps Criterion would have an interest and see an opportunity; a tack may be a limited edition collectible.
At $16.49 today on Amazon.com here are the sales figures:
Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #1,497 in Movies & TV (See Top 100 in Movies & TV)
Again, I think below expectations of the studio but CBS won't consider, probably, the picture quality of the release share a significant portion of the blame. As you read above, I wrote a polite e-mail to all the executives listed on their site, and no reply. Their parking spaces are assured! :rolleyes:

JParker

Second Unit
Real Name
James Parker
Mr. Harris replied to Matt H, HTF Reviewer who wrote,
Robert, it must really hurt to see two titles that you restored (this and Spartacus) get treated so shabbily on BD. Both should have been licensed to Criterion and you should have been allowed to supervise the transfers.
Robert Harris said:
While it would have been nice if Criterion could have been involved, it must be kept in mind that they would only have a license toward specific limited rights, which disallows the funding as needed.
RAH
GM Pasqua had asked below, months later
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/t/315932/a-few-words-about-my-fair-lady-in-blu-ray/450#post_3897885
I had no idea that Mr. H had answered the question long ago -- the cost would be prohibitive. And the sad thing, which I discussed above, is that CBS went back to original negatives for Star Trek The Next Generation but just couldn't be bothered for MFL.
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/t/317832/star-trek-the-next-generation-next-level-blu-ray-review
By Neil Middlemass:
The Video
4.5/5
Transferring this series to high-definition is a mammoth undertaking. The show’s visual effects were shot on film requiring every sing visual effects element to be re-compositioned (rather than suffer an unconversion from videotape). This requires re-cutting over 25,000 film reels, meticulously rebuilding the episodes and preserving the original episodes in lush detail transferred to high-definition detail. This effort will show off details from the episodes that none of us have seen before (from the original broadcast, the mediocre and soft DVD release or in reruns over the last 20 plus years).
So how does it look?
Wow!
This is an exquisite experience. After watching this series for years in a soft, even blurred presentation, revisiting this collection of quite different episodes is like seeing this show for the first time. Details are beyond words, colors are bold and fresh, flesh tones incredibly natural and visual effects shots revealing of the painstaking artistry (by ILM and others) that went into this bold television series.
For whatever reason, perhaps penny pinching, they evidently used what had been created for AMC's cable version.
Again, as I wrote and other posters on Amazon wrote too, contact with CBS has been ineffective. I am surprised that MFL would be less popular with the public than Star Trek! And a price of $16.49 today, this is the sales rank at Amazon.com:
Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #3,650 in Movies & TV (See Top 100 in Movies & TV)
Universal did re-do Out of Africa; perhaps the poor sales will force them to revisit MFL?
Yes, Mr. H, here's "another odd post" and my farewell to My Fair Lady; rather sad, this whole business, I think...:(

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Matt H said:
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/t/315932/a-few-words-about-my-fair-lady-in-blu-ray/450#post_3897885
I had no idea that Mr. H had answered the question long ago -- the cost would be prohibitive.
What would be the costs of a new film scan for both Spartacus and My Fair Lady, indeed what are the true costs of a 4K film scan and then the work that follows to make it a worthy blu ray release. ?

Didn't Universal screw up the re-release of Out Of Africa with too much additional processing.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Originally Posted by FoxyMulder /t/315932/a-few-words-about-my-fair-lady-in-blu-ray/450#post_3934489

What would be the costs of a new film scan for both Spartacus and My Fair Lady, indeed what are the true costs of a 4K film scan and then the work that follows to make it a worthy blu ray release. ?

A pittance, they take from a great box...

Didn't Universal screw up the re-release of Out Of Africa with too much additional processing.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Originally Posted by FoxyMulder /t/315932/a-few-words-about-my-fair-lady-in-blu-ray/450#post_3934489

A 4k scan is an asset protection scan. Different animal from creating a Blu-ray.

If all one desires is to create a Blu-ray.

Your questions is far larger than can be covered here.

RAH

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Robert Harris said:
A 4k scan is an asset protection scan.
In other words, it's about creating a baseline so that future efforts will look no worse? Whether for a 2K restoration for Blu-Ray or some other purpose down the road, the 4K scan is always the starting point, not an ending point?

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
Criterion MFL: Not gonna happen.
2014 MFL 50th Anniversary blu-ray re-release Special Edition, from Paramount, with flower-scented pencils: gonna happen.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Originally Posted by Robert Harris /t/315932/a-few-words-about-my-fair-lady-in-blu-ray/450#post_3934568
A 4k scan is an asset protection scan. Different animal from creating a Blu-ray.

If all one desires is to create a Blu-ray.

Your questions is far larger than can be covered here.

RAH

I consider a 4K scan a minimum first step these days towards creating a great looking blu ray.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks