What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ My Best Friend's Wedding -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Just got my blu of My Best Friend's Wedding today and while its clarity is awesome, I must confess it's much darker than any incarnation of it I've ever seen and I've seen it theatrically, on laser and on DVD.

kokkoqwop

Auditioning
Real Name
RAH
Robert Harris said:
I've not been tracking this thread, but if these are all current releases, it could be that everyone's monitors are improperly adjusted for the new gamma standard of 2.4 vs 2.2.

There may be a need for multiple settings based upon the date that programming was finalized and authored.

That should be fun...

RAH
My 6 monitors are correctly adjusted and does not reveal the detail that was destroyed by the black crush.

So stop shilling for SONY and actually help consumers by telling SONY these titles need recalled and fixed.

MY GIRL also as well

Robert Harris said:
I've not been tracking this thread, but if these are all current releases, it could be that everyone's monitors are improperly adjusted for the new gamma standard of 2.4 vs 2.2.

There may be a need for multiple settings based upon the date that programming was finalized and authored.

That should be fun...

RAH
Hi Robert,

It's not a gamma issue, the blacks are actually clipped.

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
I don't see any comparison between DVD/Bluray of My Best Friend's Wedding, but perhaps this from My Girl can help realise the extent of the problem:

http://caps-a-holic.com/hd_vergleiche/multi_comparison.php?disc1=5752&disc2=5753&cap1=54005&cap2=54015&art=full&image=9&hd_multiID=2344&action=1&lossless=#vergleich

Where originally was a suit with creases etc., now you see a black thing.

Anyone can raise his gamma, brightness etc. as he wishes.

He won't see any more detail.

Unfortunately, even if Sony accepts that there is a problem, I don't think it will recall 6 Bluray releases already!

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
Not sure if it was mentioned but Troop Beverly Hills was also one of the other Sony titles that was affected with the black crush virus. I doubt they would recall or repress this title though.

I think the bigger selling titles should be re-issued like The Interview, Fury and My Best Friends Wedding.

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
Powell&Pressburger said:
Not sure if it was mentioned but Troop Beverly Hills was also one of the other Sony titles that was affected with the black crush virus. I doubt they would recall or repress this title though.

I think the bigger selling titles should be re-issued like The Interview, Fury and My Best Friends Wedding.
I'm not sure if you saw my posts at the relevant threads of Interview and Fury, but they were released in Germany CORRECTED!!!

FURY:

http://caps-a-holic.com/hd_vergleiche/multi_comparison.php?disc1=5847&disc2=5616&cap1=54967&cap2=52550&art=full&image=8&hd_multiID=2290&action=1&lossless=#vergleich

THE INTERVIEW:

http://caps-a-holic.com/hd_vergleiche/multi_comparison.php?disc1=5904&disc2=5620&cap1=55521&cap2=52568&art=full&image=1&hd_multiID=2291&action=1&lossless=#vergleich

I hope MBFW would be released too, but there is already a 2008 European Bluray with the old master!

I'm not sure if they'll release the remaster and correct it as with the other 2 films.

Also, since Sony corrected the error, I really think the right thing to do would be to send replacement discs to customers who bought the US Blurays, and not "oblige" them to buy the German editions if they want error-free Blurays!

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
For anyone interested:
Thanks to a bluray.com member's report, the black crush error of this bluray has been corrected in the 4K digital version of Sony's unlimited service!
I've seen screenshots myself.

So:
1) that confirms that indeed there was initially a problem with the authoring of the Bluray (as with the other Blurays)
2) I would expect from Sony to issue replacements for the errored discs that so many people bought, but alas, I don't think it will..

I myself would like to buy the film because it's one of my favourites, but unfortunately I can't buy a disc with errors.

The BLuray was not sold for quite a long time from amazon, and now it's back.
If anyone buys it, please report if the problem has been "quietly" corrected in the new discs too.
(we could confirm it if we had some screenshots that correspond to existing ones from reviews and compare them directly).
I'm not so optimistic, but maybe there could be a very slight chance..

Last edited:

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
Maybe better to wait for the UHD version, after all it was scanned in 4K

Well, I don't think I'll ever update to 4K, so I'd really love to buy the bluray. :(
But for any others that will do, yes, I believe a possible upcoming UHD will be corrected too.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks