What's new

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Fox's new 4k Blu-ray of Kenneth Branagh's Murder on the Orient Express, is a perfect example of the fact that quality of image and sound are of supreme importance.

I attempted to view the film a couple of months ago on a DVD screener, and gave up after about twenty minutes, resolved to the belief that the film was a bore, but also desirous of seeing how the film, which originated as 65/5, might play more highly resolved.

The answer is amazingly well.

With true 4k imagery, along with a layer of delicately controlled HDR, and a booming Dolby Atmos track, the film will grab your attention, and never let go.

As one of the true 4k releases in 4k, the film is magnificent eye-candy. An extremely highly resolved image, that draws you in.

Great cast, terrific film, beautifully photographed -- did I mention mention 65mm origination?

Don't yet have 4k gear?

Doesn't matter.

Future proof. This is way to purchase the film.

It's an absolutely magnificent release, with a myriad of extras, fit for a cinephile.

Image - 5

Audio - 5 (Dolby Atmos)

Pass / Fail - Pass

Highly Recommended

RAH

Last edited by a moderator:

gadgtfreek

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason
Been on the fence about buying it. Just not sure if it is a movie I want to watch.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Been on the fence about buying it. Just not sure if it is a movie I want to watch.

It's worth watching for sure. What I'm not sure about is how much rewatching I would do. In any case, I won't be getting it this week since there are so many other things coming soon. But I might strongly consider it after a price drop, and am glad to hear the release is so good. Thanks Robert.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Thanks for the review as my 4K/UHD disc will be here tomorrow. I plan on watching it this week.

moovtune

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
James
Saw the screener too and was looking forward to a better video version
. Put it on my list as soon as I learned it was a true 4K - the only 4K's I buy.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Fox's new 4k Blu-ray of Kenneth Branagh's Murder on the Orient Express, is a perfect example of the fact that quality of image and sound are of supreme importance.

I attempted to view the film a couple of months ago on a DVD screener, and gave up after about twenty minutes, resolved to the belief that the film was a bore, but also desirous of seeing how the film, which originated as 65/5, might play more highly resolved.

The answer is amazingly well.

With true 4k imagery, along with a layer of delicately controlled HDR, and a booming Dolby Atmos track, the film will grab your attention, and never let go.

As one of the true 4k releases in 4k, the film is magnificent eye-candy. An extremely highly resolved image, that draws you in.

Great cast, terrific film, beautifully photographed -- did I mention mention 65mm origination?

Don't yet have 4k gear?

Doesn't matter.

Future proof. This is way to purchase the film.

It's an absolutely magnificent release, with a myriad of extras, fit for a cinephile.

Image - 5

Audio - 5 (Dolby Atmos)

Pass / Fail - Pass

Highly Recommended

RAH

Thanks for the review Robert! Can’t wait to pick this one up!!

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I wasn't wild about the movie but I thought the 4K did look amazing! Stellar image quality on that one...

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Due to my unyielding biases towards Albert Finney and DP Geoffrey Unsworth, I have found it difficult to open my mind toward's this latest version of Orient Express. Okay, Mr. Branagh, I've finally been swayed to get on board. And you can thank Robert A. Harris for this review.

Peter Neski

Screenwriter
This was a mess ,I saw the earlier movie on Blu-Ray and the TV Movie on blu- ray,This version is plain stupid ,He's bad casting ,and
other than 70mm ,this movie is a total waste

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
I purchased the 4K version through iTunes because it was $10 cheaper than the 4K Blu-ray. It was a blind buy and my wife and I watched it last night. I enjoyed the film and I don't regret the purchase. The video quality was excellent but, as I think RAH is suggesting, HDR is underutilized. Still, this wasn't as good as I hoped it would be. This, despite that fact that I've never seen ANY version of this film (prior to last night).

Not a terrible film by any means, but not a great one either. The RT scores seem a little too low. I'd give it 3.5 out of 5 stars (70%).

Mark

Last edited:

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
did UHD come from a 4K DI? should make sense given 70mm film.

while 35mm seems to have been 'bested' by HDR technology, does 70mm capture more colors than 35mm or is it about the same? film is film is film right?

in another words... are there benefits or having HDR technology optimizations on 70mm original scans?

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
One of my favorite movies of 2017. 70mm adds to the feeling of really being on the train imho. Nice to see a mid-budget movie made in 70mm. Hope the next one in this series is 70mm too....

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks