What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Mr Selfridge -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
The PBS series Mr Selfridge, notably supported by Ralph Lauren and Viking River Cruises is an interesting 8 hours that one might spend with a beautiful Blu-ray set.

Very much a vehicle for the series' producer Jeremy Piven, it is the story of Harry Gordon Selfridge, an American-born, British retail magnate. Beautifully produced, with requisite period (1908-10) detail, the series covers Selfridge's rise to power, along with his interesting, and also problematic social life.

While it took me time to warm up to Mr. Piven as Selfridge, it all worked out, as a bit of nuance came to the fore.

Shot with an Arri Alexa and finished in HD, the series is a beautiful example of what can be done for broadcast, using data as a starting point, and seamlessly blending in the requisite effects work.

Can't wait to see where this is going in the second season as things in Selfridge's life take a nice rise, and then at the end of WWI, a down-turn.

Quality entertainment, along with a bit of history, and a superb Blu-ray offering from PBS.

Recommended.

RAH

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
I saw last night's episode, which was my first. I'll have to pick up the Blu-ray to see what I've missed!Thanks for the review, Mr. Harris.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks