What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Moonraker -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
My favorite Roger Moore Bond movies are Moonraker and The Man With The Golden Gun. I'll take those two over his more critically acclaimed ones any day!

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
My favorite Roger Moore Bond movies are Moonraker and The Man With The Golden Gun. I'll take those two over his more critically acclaimed ones any day!

I like those as well. Honestly I love all of the Moore 007 films. I still watch those a great deal.
Connery ones that I watch the most are thunderball and diamonds are forever.

I’m hoping we see something new for Moonraker and ohmss this year! An expanded Moonraker soundtrack would be great.
I was listening to the new expanded the world is not enough on today. Love it!

Tommy R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tommy
As a long time Bond fan Moonraker is quite a ways down on my list, but over the years I've grown to really appreciate certain elements. It has a GREAT music score. Beautiful locations and cinematography. Really cool set designs. As mentioned, great stunt work. For those reasons alone I'd at least say it's the best of the lower tier Bond films.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Just about every time the Bond producers opted to hire someone other than John Barry to try to sound more hip or current, it backfired - at least in terms of the longevity of the films. Watch the George Martin score in Live And Let Die, the Marvin Hamlisch score in The Spy Who Loved Me, or the Bill Conti score in For Your Eyes Only, and those are the things that most instantly and immediately date those films. All of the films are clearly products of their time and you'll never mistake, say, Thunderball for being something that was shot in 2000, but they have a certain timeless quality to them. But turn on Live And Let Die, and it's an early 70s movie and there's no escaping that. They lose some of their ability to transcend time when the score so clearly ties them to a certain era.

So Moonraker does better on that front by virtue of having John Barry's timeless score.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Just about every time the Bond producers opted to hire someone other than John Barry to try to sound more hip or current, it backfired - at least in terms of the longevity of the films. Watch the George Martin score in Live And Let Die, the Marvin Hamlisch score in The Spy Who Loved Me, or the Bill Conti score in For Your Eyes Only, and those are the things that most instantly and immediately date those films. All of the films are clearly products of their time and you'll never mistake, say, Thunderball for being something that was shot in 2000, but they have a certain timeless quality to them. But turn on Live And Let Die, and it's an early 70s movie and there's no escaping that. They lose some of their ability to transcend time when the score so clearly ties them to a certain era.

So Moonraker does better on that front by virtue of having John Barry's timeless score.

100% agreed.

Barry was so simple and repetitive with his themes. They are so memorable.

This podcast with Barry’s former agent is fantastic:
http://jamesbondradio.com/talking-john-barry-richard-craft-interview-the-music-of-bond-015/

Tommy R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tommy

Oh man, Bill Conti's score is IMO the absolute WORST of the entire Bond series. I'm not all that crazy for TSWLM's score either. LALD, LTK and GE have likable scores, but nothing rivals a Barry score.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Oh man, Bill Conti's score is IMO the absolute WORST of the entire Bond series. I'm not all that crazy for TSWLM's score either. LALD, LTK and GE have likable scores, but nothing rivals a Barry score.

I enjoy the non Barry scores. They have some nice moments to them. Of course I prefer the Barry ones.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
If they hadn't reintroduced that idiot sheriff from LALD, in an impossible and ridiculous coincidence, the film would have been boosted by about 25% in my opinion. The reappearance of Jaws didn't bother me as much, but was still silly in the end. The score and title song are very nice, though.

albert_m2

Second Unit
Real Name
Albert

So does Octopussy, which I think is a decent film that is brought down by its last act a bit.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
It's silly as hell, but also a lot more fun than the recent po-faced films that seem intent on making Bond as miserable a character as possible.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Is it a new transfer with a corrected main title sequence? (the Blu-ray edition has the titles windowboxed and compressed horizontally).
New transfer I believe. Didn’t notice that. I’ll confirm later.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
Is it a new transfer with a corrected main title sequence? (the Blu-ray edition has the titles windowboxed and compressed horizontally).
I don't think it's a new transfer - I believe only the films that were done at 2K the first time around received new transfers - but the credits are no longer windowboxed.

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
I don't think it's a new transfer - I believe only the films that were done at 2K the first time around received new transfers - but the credits are no longer windowboxed.

How many of the Bond films are available in 4k on iTunes? All of them?

The squeezed and windowboxed credits on the Blu-rays infuriate me. Not to mention that more than half of the Blu-rays have poor video transfers.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks