1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Moonlight -- in Blu-ray

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Robert Harris, Mar 5, 2017.

1. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Archivist
    Reviewer

Robert Harris
    Moonlight, the superb drama directed by Barry Jenkins, was, as we all know, the second film to be presented as Best Picture of 2016.

It's a superbly crafted film, with beautiful performances, that makes its point meticulously.

As a Blu-ray, it's an odd one.

Shot with an Alexa XT Plus, which yields an image softer than one might presume, with a pleasant almost film-like appearance, strangely similar to that of Fences, which was shot on 35mm film, and take through post in 2k.

Looking at the nine films up for Best Picture, three were shot on film (Hidden, La La and Fences), while the other six (Hacksaw, Hell, Moonlight, Arrival, Manchester and Lion) were all shot with variants of an Alexa XT.

What's of interest is how VERY different the final result appears, with some being very suitable for an uprez to 4k, while others looking very nice and presentable, but lacking that special snap of resolution.

All of which one must presume is by design.

Moonlight is a film that should be seen. Like Manchester, you may not exit whistling a happy tune, but it does demand your attention.

Image - 5

Audio - 5

4k Up-rez - 5

Pass / Fail - Pass

Recommended

RAH

PMF likes this.
  2. Tino

Tino Executive Producer
    Supporter

Valentino
    Bought the blu last week. After being disappointed in my theatrical viewing I want to give it another chance and look forward to watching it again. Hope I enjoy it more. It's happened before. :D

PMF likes this.