What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Midnight Lace -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Midnight Lace is David Miller's tale of a woman in jeopardy, based upon the stage play "Matilda Shouted Fire." It's an expensive, high-end production, with high-rent talent, and enough location work in London to belie the studio material from Universal, which looks fine.

The interesting situation is that while the audience does see a woman in jeopardy, very few characters believe a bit of her story.

It's generally a pretty film, with a fog sequence at the head that works very nicely. My problem with the production has always gone back to the script. The overall story, never really worked for me.

For Doris Day fans, its an interesting serious drama, wedged into between her more fun comedies.

The Blu-ray from Kino works in a general sense, although it appears, at least to my eye, that the original negative may have been past it prime, and there may have been a harvest of sep masters, with some shots just a tad out of registration. Never anything troublesome, but there, regardless. As Eastman Color, processed by Pathe, this doesn't seem unlikely.

Much of the film is also a bit on the contrasty side, but again, it will never spoil the fun.

What some may find interesting here, is the choice of aspect ratios. You are left to select either 2:1, which seemed to be the go-to for Universal during the era, or 1.85, which works nicely, as it fill the home theater frame.

Glancing at the back of the jacket, I noted the copyright notice - 1960, renewed 1986. An odd one.

Image - 3.75

Audio - 5

Pass / Fail - Pass

Upgrade from DVD - Yes

RAH

Last edited:

warnerbro

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Darrell
Every print of this film I've ever seen looks a bit muddy and dupey. I love it, though. It's so much fun and Doris Day is always so natural in everything she does. And I love that they let you select from two different ratios! I love it when they give you that option. It's fun to watch both ways to compare.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
As I suspected, the elements just weren't there for a first rate HD presentation. But all I needed to hear is that it looks better than the DVD so I'm in. Interesting about the aspect ratios.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I guess I'll just keep my European Blu-ray (which says it's Region B but plays fine on all my players). What Robert describes sounds just like the transfer on that disc. It doesn't have an aspect ratio choice, however. It's strictly 1.85:1.

rdimucci

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert DiMucci
Glancing at the back of the jacket, I noted the copyright notice - 1960, renewed 1986. An odd one.
RAH

Could just be a typo. Online copyright records show the expected 1988 renewal date:

Type of Work: Motion Picture
Registration Number / Date: RE0000400900 / 1988-11-21
Renewal registration for: LP0000024727 / 1960-10-20
Title: Midnight lace; motion picture. By Universal Pictures Company, Inc.
Copyright Claimant: Universal City Studios, Inc. (PWH)
Variant title: Midnight lace
Names: Universal Pictures Company, Inc.
Universal City Studios, Inc.

demy

Grip
Real Name
Bill
I had long wanted to see this movie, so I got the foreign Blu-ray. What a disappointment. Pretty preposterous, and in large part irritating. Why is it so overrated? Much prefer the other victimized-woman thriller David Miller did eight years earlier: "Sudden Fear." That's much more fun.

M90GM

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
JUSTIN
Midnight Lace is David Miller's tale of a woman in jeopardy, based upon the stage play "Matilda Shouted Fire." It's an expensive, high-end production, with high-rent talent, and enough location work in London to belie the studio material from Universal, which looks fine.

The interesting situation is that while the audience does see a woman in jeopardy, very few characters believe a bit of her story.

It's generally a pretty film, with a fog sequence at the head that works very nicely. My problem with the production has always gone back to the script. The overall story, never really worked for me.

For Doris Day fans, its an interesting serious drama, wedged into between her more fun comedies.

The Blu-ray from Kino works in a general sense, although it appears, at least to my eye, that the original negative may have been past it prime, and there may have been a harvest of sep masters, with some shots just a tad out of registration. Never anything troublesome, but there, regardless. As Eastman Color, processed by Pathe, this doesn't seem unlikely.

Much of the film is also a bit on the contrasty side, but again, it will never spoil the fun.

What some may find interesting here, is the choice of aspect ratios. You are left to select either 2:1, which seemed to be the go-to for Universal during the era, or 1.85, which works nicely, as it fill the home theater frame.

Image - 3.75

Audio - 5

Pass / Fail - Pass

Upgrade from DVD - Yes

RAH
Disappointing blue ray - barely worth the upgrade except for the commentary - pic remains only average in color & detail.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks