What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Meet Joe Black -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Same old. Same old.

Universal, once again delivers an older transfer to Blu-ray.

Interesting film, but I presume it was unsuccessful on video, or there would have been a new image harvest.

Slightly electronic looking, much like the HD version.

Definitely, okay. But nothing more.

Happy 100th.

Image - 3

Audio - 5

KPmusmag

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kevin Parcher
This is one that sold me on HD video about 3 years ago when I found the HD-DVD in a bargain bin for something like $4. Watching the HD-DVD I noticed that during one of the first scenes, as they are in the helicopter flying into NYC, there were tiny little dust motes floating in the air. They were so distinct and clear. So I put in the SD-DVD to compare and the dust was there, but very indistinct little blobs and I had to go right up to the screen to see them as they were not visible from a distance as they were in HD. And so began my resolve to own more titles in hi def video.
Although I suppose this movie has flaws, I enjoy it because it draws me into its world, which is what I think good films do. I also love the music. The locations are fun, too and I think the art direction and production design are great. I do sometimes wish the denouement was something more interesting than the IRS ruse, but I guess it had to be something logical. I always wanted the "bad guy" to turn into a pillar of salt or something more dramatic and supernatural. On the other hand, the story is really about people, not the supernatural, so I guess they were right to do it as they did.
At some point, I will pick up the blu-ray, just because with HD-DVD gone, it is more convenient to only require one player, although my HD-DVD player is still working fine - and I am hanging onto it partly because I think APOLLO 13 is one of the few that somehow suffered in the translation to blu. Hopefully they will redo that one someday and I can finally retire the HD-DVD player.

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
I love this movie. You do a great job of explaining what I like about it, Keven.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks