What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ McQ -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

atfree

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex
Can't say this movie did much for me. I think Wayne's too old for the movie and he lacks the energy the part needs.

The story itself just seems like warmed over cop nonsense, and the whole film is so clearly indebted to "Dirty Harry" that it borders on plagiarism...
6455eb3ebf11b4343e055898697e5a71.jpg

[emoji6]

Allansfirebird

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sean
Can't say this movie did much for me. I think Wayne's too old for the movie and he lacks the energy the part needs.

The story itself just seems like warmed over cop nonsense, and the whole film is so clearly indebted to "Dirty Harry" that it borders on plagiarism...

I think Duke did McQ and Brannigan because he turned down Dirty Harry, and regretted that mistake.

MCCLOUD

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert
My order from Amazon has shipped. I noticed on line that MCQ is backordered at Best Buy and Deep Discount. Also not sure about if it is readily available at Barnes And Noble. It could just be a supply problem. However, wouldn't it be nice if this meant MCQ was selling well? I guess the only mortals who know work at Warner Brothers!

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I think Duke did McQ and Brannigan because he turned down Dirty Harry, and regretted that mistake.

I agree. "McQ" really does feel like 'Harry"-lite to me.

I watched "McQ" and "Dirty Harry" back to back the other day. I'm not a huge fan of "Harry", but I still found the difference in quality to be startling - "DH" just has so much more bite and energy.

The Wayne of "McQ" clearly had lost a step - or 12 - and I just don't think he was up for the part. I think he was game but lacked the energy and vigor the role needed...

commander richardson

Second Unit
Real Name
martyn
How can I argue with that??? :D
Wayne maybe old and strutting around like an old age pensioner with his wig like a birdsnest on top of his head...........but he is still John Wayne who is a great actor who makes and elevates an average movie into a most enjoyable watch ...and compared to Hollywoods recent output this movie is a classic.....

Race Bannon

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jay
The Wayne of "McQ" clearly had lost a step - or 12 - and I just don't think he was up for the part. I think he was game but lacked the energy and vigor the role needed...

I tend to view his very late movies through the lens of his massive cinematic reign. A truly unprecedented run, from the silent era, to B and C movies in the thirties, to holding one of the top spots almost continuously from Stagecoach (1939) for 30 years thereafter.

Not many sit on that level. I think Tom Cruise is giving him a run for his money on longevity at or near the top in the "at least one starring hit a year" club. (If Risky Business (1983) is Cruise's Stagecoach, we're on year 33 and counting -- unprecedented and still going strong).

atfree

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex
My view is that even a lesser John Wayne movie has more entertainment value and re-watchability that 80% of what is coming out of Hollywood today. I saw McQ in theaters in 74, then when it premiered on the NBC Saturday Night Movie a few years later, and have probably seen it 15 times since. I've seen the Marvel films once each, and probably will never revisit them again. But that's just me.

MCCLOUD

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert
My view is that even a lesser John Wayne movie has more entertainment value and re-watchability that 80% of what is coming out of Hollywood today. I saw McQ in theaters in 74, then when it premiered on the NBC Saturday Night Movie a few years later, and have probably seen it 15 times since. I've seen the Marvel films once each, and probably will never revisit them again. But that's just me.
One of my favorite memories is my family going to see MCQ in 1974 after church on a Sunday afternoon! I was 8 years old! I have loved MCQ ever since and I guess it is my favorite movie!

jim_falconer

Screenwriter
Wayne maybe old and strutting around like an old age pensioner with his wig like a birdsnest on top of his head...........but he is still John Wayne who is a great actor who makes and elevates an average movie into a most enjoyable watch ...and compared to Hollywoods recent output this movie is a classic.....

Hah, this was a very enjoyable post to read, and agree with your assessment 100%

MCCLOUD

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert
I received MCQ and Chisum yesterday. I didn't watch them but I played a lot of them checking out various scenes throughout the movies. The chapter selections sure make this easy! I thought they both looked great and I am pleased! I hope to watch them sometime this month! Thanks again Warners for the great job on MCQ and Chusum!

MCCLOUD

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert
I still haven't watched the entire movie of MCQ on Blu Ray yet. I have just been going to different chapters and watching a few minutes of the chapter. I think it looks and sounds great! Warners has gone an outstanding job! I wonder how well MCQ and Chisum are selling? Is there any way or site that would have that information or does Warner consider that confidential? Thanks!
Robert

MCCLOUD

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert
I still haven't watched the entire movie of MCQ on Blu Ray yet. I have just been going to different chapters and watching a few minutes of the chapter. I think it looks and sounds great! Warners has gone an outstanding job! I wonder how well MCQ and Chisum are selling? Is there any way or site that would have that information or does Warner consider that confidential? Thanks!
Robert

I have plans to watch John Wayne movies on Blu-Ray in chronological order. I have started with The War Wagon and plan on watching all of them with Rooster Cogburn being the last one. So far I have watched The War Wagon, The Green Berets, Hellfighters, True Grit, The Undefeated, and last night I watched Chisum. I have really enjoyed these movies on Blu Ray and I think all of them have looked and sounded great! Hopefully I will be able to watch MCQ within the next few weeks! Still have 5 more John Wayne movies to look forward to watching before I make it to my favorite movie MCQ! Nothing like watching the Number 1 Hollywood Movie Star Of All Time John Wayne on Blu-ray!

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
I have plans to watch John Wayne movies on Blu-Ray in chronological order. I have started with The War Wagon and plan on watching all of them with Rooster Cogburn being the last one. So far I have watched The War Wagon, The Green Berets, Hellfighters, True Grit, The Undefeated, and last night I watched Chisum. I have really enjoyed these movies on Blu Ray and I think all of them have looked and sounded great! Hopefully I will be able to watch MCQ within the next few weeks! Still have 5 more John Wayne movies to look forward to watching before I make it to my favorite movie MCQ! Nothing like watching the Number 1 Hollywood Movie Star Of All Time John Wayne on Blu-ray!
I'm on my third time doing the Wayne movies in order but I always start much earlier than you. I start with Stagecoach and go until the Shootist.. I did this once on VHS/Laserdisc, then DVD and now I'm currently doing this with DVD/Blu.

jim_falconer

Screenwriter
I'm on my third time doing the Wayne movies in order but I always start much earlier than you. I start with Stagecoach and go until the Shootist.. I did this once on VHS/Laserdisc, then DVD and now I'm currently doing this with DVD/Blu.

I do that myself at times, and when starting with his B movies prior to Stagecoach, it can be very hard to figure out production order. I highly recommend Fred Landesman's bibliography "The John Wayne Filmography". Besides being just a wonderful book on the behind the scenes of each film, and tidbits about the other actors in the film, the book gives you exact dates of when the movie in question was being filmed. I reference it all the time!

MCCLOUD

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert
I didn't start back any farther than The War Wagon because it would take even longer to get to MCQ! It will still take me a while to get to MCQ but I Am getting closer! I watched Big Jake Saturday night. I didn't have The Cowboys so I ordered it last week and am waiting for it to arrive. I had never watched on Blu Ray Before The War Wagon, Hellfighters, True Grit, The Undefeated, Chisum and Big Jake. I had previously watched The Green Berets and Rio Lobo on Blu Ray before so when I watched them recently it was not the first time on Blu Ray. I have The Cowboys, The Train Robbers, Cahill, MCQ, and Rooster Cogburn left as first time on Blu Ray to watch. I have already seen Brannigan on Blu Ray before. I plan on watching it again on Blu Ray after MCQ. The John Wayne movies look great on Blu Ray!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks