What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ McLintock! -- in Blu-ray (Part Deux) (1 Viewer)

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
ahollis said:
I keep seeing that people keep blaming Warner's for things they have no control over.
Exactly, Warner has their own catalog to attend to and apart from that they can only distribute what Paramount makes available. I remember when people were blaming Fox for the very bad Blu-ray of The Greatest Story Ever Told when in fact it was MGM they should have complained to. Contrary to Paramount both regarding quality and quantity Warner has been generally good and often very good in the last year or two with regard to catalog releases and I cannot remember when they last released something from their own catalog that looked as subpar as Hatari.

Blu_rayfan66

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Hugh S.
Dave B Ferris said:
I find myself in the position where I do not want to bash Olive too aggressively, purely from the standpoint of self-interest: I've bought so many of their other BR's (which, unlike McLintock!, may not be supplanted by a "studio" release), that I would hate to think I've spent the money on "garbage". I'd much rather think I have an assortment of gems on my shelves.
I tend to avoid companies that try to squeeze movies onto a BD25 disc to save a few cents.

davidmatychuk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Matychuk
Robert Crawford said:
Also, good things come to those that don't wait.
And good things don't come to those that wait, and good things don't come to those that don't wait. I believe that completes the set, but I'm waiting on that.

FanboyZ

Second Unit
Real Name
Zolly Shoah Ben-Becker
Dave B Ferris said:
I find myself in the position where I do not want to bash Olive too aggressively, purely from the standpoint of self-interest: I've bought so many of their other BR's (which, unlike McLintock!, may not be supplanted by a "studio" release), that I would hate to think I've spent the money on "garbage". I'd much rather think I have an assortment of gems on my shelves.
Olive is like two companies, a good one and a K Mart one.

FWAJMB

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jason Blosser
I am a huge John Wayne fan and have most of the films he made. I've tried and tried to like "McClintock!" and hoped this restored version could somehow help me like it more. Nope.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
FWAJMB said:
I am a huge John Wayne fan and have most of the films he made. I've tried and tried to like "McClintock!" and hoped this restored version could somehow help me like it more. Nope.
I feel the same way about Donovan's Reef & Hatari, you can't like 'em all, but I do like this western. It probably helps that I saw it at the cinema, in fact thinking about it, I prefer it to The Sons Of Katie Elder which I find a bit boring. I'm awaiting three biggies: The Were Expendable, She Wore A Yellow Ribbon & In Harm's Way...& a few not so biggies like Operation Pacific, not a great movie, but the Duke & Ward Bond in a sub in WW2, what's not to like!

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Love Donovan's Reef and The Sons of Katie Elder, but have no time for Hatari and McLintock! To add to your biggies, I'm also waiting on: The Long Voyage Home, The Shootist, 3 Godfathers.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I love them all except there are some I just love more than others. :P Seriously, Hatari has never been a favorite of mine, but I can watch it without having any serious issues with it. I think if you were expose to certain films in your youth, a person would like films like Donovan's Reef and McLintock! a lot more than if you first viewed it as an adult.

John Hermes

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Hermes
John Hodson said:
Love Donovan's Reef and The Sons of Katie Elder, but have no time for Hatari and McLintock! To add to your biggies, I'm also waiting on: The Long Voyage Home, The Shootist, 3 Godfathers.
Ah, Katie Elder, my favorite. Time for a Blu-ray, Paramount-Warner.
FWAJMB said:
Well, if you don't like "McClintock", you might like "McLintock" Hee hee.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I bought this from Amazon UK Marketplace about five weeks ago, there were tons of offers at a good price & it only cost me just under £11 delivered! All those offers have disappeared now, just two s'hand for over £32 delivered, so any UK fans would be better off buying this direct from America.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
It's back down to a sensible price on Amazon UK now (I would have edited my post, but no edit button, sometimes you get one, sometimes you don't).

David_Jr

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
Thanks (a little late) Robert. I will definitely be picking this one up and a second copy for my Dad. Also I'd like to cast another vote for Sons of Katie Elder on Blu. Would pick it up in a heartbeat!

Gangolf

Agent
Real Name
Ronald
Hello!

There is a wonderful new "McLintock!" Blu Ray published in Germany now. TleFILMS (Thorsten Kaiser) worked again on the 2005 restaurated Master from a Tecnicolor Dye Transfer Copy . This one was renewed 2010 , 2014 and 2019. The Mediabook includes a Making Off, restaurated Trailer and the "Gold Hey Comic" in English.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Hello!

There is a wonderful new "McLintock!" Blu Ray published in Germany now. TleFILMS (Thorsten Kaiser) worked again on the 2005 restaurated Master from a Tecnicolor Dye Transfer Copy . This one was renewed 2010 , 2014 and 2019. The Mediabook includes a Making Off, restaurated Trailer and the "Gold Hey Comic" in English.

Sorry, but why bother to put any effort into the project? A bit akin to putting lipstick on a pig.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks