What's new

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Not since the days of P.T. Barnum, has there been an entertainment based showman with the passion, exuberance, and ability to blow things out of proportion with publicity, since the great master of schlock horror, Lawrence Woolsey (1917-1979).

Known for his theatrical stunts - nurses standing at the ready for films too frightening to survive, dummies rigged to travel above an audience, electrical contacts beneath theater seats - Mr. Woolsey made theater-going great fun, especially for teens.

Woolsey, always seemed to have a cigar in his mouth, and a personality bigger than life.

In 1992, Joe Dante created a loving biography to Mr. Woolsey in the form of Matinee, a sweet-natured film, that places many of Mr. Woolsey's frightening creatures at the fore, along with the man himself, played by John Goodman.

Great fun, and nice to finally have on Blu-ray courtesy of Shout Factory's Select label, which adds some nice extras, along with the original version of Mant (1962), as excerpted in the film.

The Blu-ray is a quality affair, with proper color, density, a light sheen of grain, and a clean image.

Image - 5

Audio - 5 (DTS-HD MA)

Pass / Fail - Pass

Recommended

RAH

Last edited by a moderator:

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
The great bigger than life Lawrence Woolsey. Too bad he passed before he made Gator Gal. That would have been right up there Mant.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Whatever happened to the OCN of Mant? The excerpts look wonderful; maybe Dante knows where the rest of the OCN resides. The complete film needs to be shown to a new, appreciative generation (maybe a Fathom event, or during a TCM festival in Hollywood). I hope Wade Williams doesn't have the rights to the film...

RichMurphy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rich
Whatever happened to the OCN of Mant? The excerpts look wonderful; maybe Dante knows where the rest of the OCN resides. The complete film needs to be shown to a new, appreciative generation (maybe a Fathom event, or during a TCM festival in Hollywood). I hope Wade Williams doesn't have the rights to the film...

I think Woolsey's boss, Cagey Calhoun, has the OCN.

cadavra

Supporting Actor
Real Name
mike schlesinger

Assuming you're not kidding, there is no complete film. They shot about 23" worth of scenes, and it's all there.

Mike S.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cennetkaralowa
Recent bookmarks