What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Mary Poppins -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Sherman Brothers fan alert:

http://theseconddisc.com/2016/09/26...uce-kimmel-announces-unsung-sherman-brothers/

This is mouthwatering stuff. Well done, Kritzerland!

Thanks so much for that heads up, David!!

Pre-ordered!

...along with enough other stuff that I should be getting one of the copies signed by the great man himself--and, of course, I'm referring to Richard Sherman (not Mr. Kimmel! :laugh: Although I have MANY of Bruce's CDs produced during his Varese Sarabande days). You better not be out of the signed copies yet, Bruce!! :D

Received my discs from Kritzerland yesterday!

As the snow is flying here in upstate NY, I immediately popped in one of the six discs I ordered (of Christmas music) and look forward to spinning up the Sherman Brothers disc soon. Thanks to Bruce and the folks at Kritzerland for making this music (and signed booklets) available!

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Hey guys-

Thought I’d revive this thread. With the full Disney machine on full promoting Mary Poppins Returns, it reminded me to see if the original film is on Blu Ray. I totally forgot, I bought the set in 2013 and I haven’t seen it yet. In fact, I’ve never seen Mary Poppins, at least as an adult. I might have seen it as a kid, but I really don’t recall much. I know the animated sequence where Dick Van Dyke and Julie Andrews are dancing with the animals. And a few other iconic images. So I’ll be interested in checking the blu ray out for the first time.

It was good to find this thread and see the disc is a good release. I suppose the next release will be a 4K disc of the original film when the sequel comes out on blu ray UHD 4K.

Additionally, I did a search for A Few Words About....Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, and I didn’t see one. I do see there is a 2010 blu ray release that’s a new wide screen mastering. I’m curious if that is a good release from MGM.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Hey guys-

Thought I’d revive this thread. With the full Disney machine on full promoting Mary Poppins Returns, it reminded me to see if the original film is on Blu Ray. I totally forgot, I bought the set in 2013 and I haven’t seen it yet. In fact, I’ve never seen Mary Poppins, at least as an adult. I might have seen it as a kid, but I really don’t recall much. I know the animated sequence where Dick Van Dyke and Julie Andrews are dancing with the animals. And a few other iconic images. So I’ll be interested in checking the blu ray out for the first time.

It was good to find this thread and see the disc is a good release. I suppose the next release will be a 4K disc of the original film when the sequel comes out on blu ray UHD 4K.

Additionally, I did a search for A Few Words About....Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, and I didn’t see one. I do see there is a 2010 blu ray release that’s a new wide screen mastering. I’m curious if that is a good release from MGM.
While I would welcome a 4K of Mary Poppins Original Recipe, I suspect Dis-knee might be concerned that "Modern" audiences might find the matte lines and obvious wires to be a disc defect that would cause unnecessary returns or worse try to "fix" them

richardburton84

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack
Hey guys-

The MGM Blu-ray of Chitty Chitty Bang Bang is one of the better MGM Blu-rays from a 70mm film in that they actually did a new transfer instead of rehashing whatever transfer they have at their disposal, which they are notorious for doing, and the transfer is absolutely gorgeous.

Reactions: PMF

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
The MGM Blu-ray of Chitty Chitty Bang Bang is one of the better MGM Blu-rays from a 70mm film in that they actually did a new transfer instead of rehashing whatever transfer they have at their disposal, which they are notorious for doing, and the transfer is absolutely gorgeous.
I agree completely. It's one of THE best MGM Blu-ray transfers.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Hey guys-

I didn't find RAH's review but their is another one

I believe wal*mart is selling the blu-ray disc version for $5.00
d547088b-60fa-4a76-a52d-9b41a09ede60_1.ea7c059e0840a971b51468e867ef75fa[1].jpeg

in stores only in the $5.00 blu-ray rack(bin? depending on your store)

Reactions: PMF

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Thanks guys for the Chitty Chitty Bang Bang Blu Ray endorsements. That HTF review by Cameron is the copy I found. I like that it has the extras. :). It’s a little more money then the Walmart copy, but that’s ok.

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
Hey guys-

Watch 'Saving Mr. Banks' after watching 'Mary Poppins'. In my heart, the two films belong together.

Mark

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Watch 'Saving Mr. Banks' after watching 'Mary Poppins'. In my heart, the two films belong together.

Agreed, but I don't know if I could stand the multiple gut punches those movies throw at me. It's hard enough for me to get through Saving Mr. Banks without getting all the feels. Mary Poppins isn't a really happy movie until the end, though there are moment of happiness throughout.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
1964 must have placed a great deal of pressures upon the real-life Nanny's of this world.
I mean, really, who could ever compete?;)

P.S.
Disney ought to prep a 4K/UHD boxed-set of Mary Poppins, Saving Mr. Banks and Mary Poppins Returns.:)

Last edited:

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I watched this last night. It looked great on my projector but it is very obvious when there is about to be an effects shot because the grain suddenly doubles. I wouldn't mind if they recomposited the movie as long as that is all they do.

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
I watched this last night. It looked great on my projector but it is very obvious when there is about to be an effects shot because the grain suddenly doubles. I wouldn't mind if they recomposited the movie as long as that is all they do.
Since the Blu-ray wasn't released all that long ago, I don't think there's any way that Disney would spend money on going back and doing a new scan and performing image cleanup on it. They'll just re-release the existing master on Blu-ray with a new cover and a new subtitle track for the song lyrics and call it a "Special Sing-along Edition!" Bob Iger is only a fan of Disney's back catalog inasmuch as it can be mined for remakes or belated sequels. He's all about minimizing risk and maximizing Quarterly Earnings Reports.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
1964 must have placed a great deal of pressures upon the real-life Nanny's of this world.
I mean, really, who could ever compete?;)

P.S.
Disney ought to prep a 4K/UHD boxed-set of Mary Poppins, Saving Mr. Banks and Mary Poppins Returns.:)
No Umbrella NO SALE ;) !
Oh wait I still have the Singin' in the Rain one ... Nevermind :ph34r:

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
I always wondered when Mary Poppins was going to get a PG rating. Well it will at least in Britain when it gets a cinema release for its 60th anniversary. It will probably happen in the US as well if it gets a cinema release here. I was watching the bluray the other night and thought thank God there was no completely idiotic warning(you know this is a product of its time and we're so much better that kind of thing) before the film started. I half expected it to be there. If you don't know what I'm talking about you don't know the film very well. Maybe the Wizard of Oz is next.

They are already changing the offensive ending of My Fair Lady on stage so with the way people think these days maybe on its next film release in 8k it will come with a warning and a PG rating too.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
I always wondered when Mary Poppins was going to get a PG rating. Well it will at least in Britain when it gets a cinema release for its 60th anniversary. It will probably happen in the US as well if it gets a cinema release here. I was watching the bluray the other night and thought thank God there was no completely idiotic warning(you know this is a product of its time and we're so much better that kind of thing) before the film started. I half expected it to be there. If you don't know what I'm talking about you don't know the film very well. Maybe the Wizard of Oz is next.

They are already changing the offensive ending of My Fair Lady on stage so with the way people think these days maybe on its next film release in 8k it will come with a warning and a PG rating too.

As for "My Fair Lady" I don't believe there was any change in the dialogue just the staging and what Eliza does after Higgins says his last line. That last scene was not in the stage play "Pygmalion" It was added for the 1938 film version of the play. At the end of the play, after an enormous battle of wills, Eliza decides to strike out on her own. “If I can't have kindness, I'll have independence,” she declares. Then, according to Shaw's final stage directions, Eliza "sweeps out. The change to "My Fair Lady" was to better reflect Shaw's intention that she is not going back to Higgins. I am not saying that it quite worked without a change in dialogue but that is what they were going for.

SD_Brian

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
I never knew before that the offending term, "hottentot," was a racial slur. I have lived my life believing it was just a made-up nonsense word. Fortunately it's not a term I use in my day-to-day life, so the change to Mary Poppins' rating in the UK won't cause any me any real inconvenience. But I do appreciate being educated so I won't feel tempted to suddenly start peppering my dialogue with the H-word.

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
I’ve never heard that word before, outside MP. They are reclassifying the film based on one word that most everyone has probably never heard and never will? One that most people probably don’t even know is a slur? Ridiculous.

I give them props for addressing the issue, but still ridiculous over one word. The film is as family friendly as it gets.

SD_Brian

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
I haven't bought this yet.
Should we expect any 4k release or not, knowing it's Disney?
It's the 60th anniversary this year, so a 4K release is not entirely outside the realm of possibility. It will likely depend on which direction the wind is blowing: from the east or from the west.

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I never knew before that the offending term, "hottentot," was a racial slur. I have lived my life believing it was just a made-up nonsense word. Fortunately it's not a term I use in my day-to-day life, so the change to Mary Poppins' rating in the UK won't cause any me any real inconvenience. But I do appreciate being educated so I won't feel tempted to suddenly start peppering my dialogue with the H-word.
I've heard the word a few times. I always thought it was the actual name of some native tribe somewhere. In Ridley Scott's The Duellists, when Keith Carradine's character reports to the general played by Robert Stephens, his face has been scratched by a woman, and the general says "you look like a damned hottentot!"

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation380
Recent bookmarks