What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Man of La Mancha -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Sorry, but this is well known as a notorious bomb that trashed a much loved musical and had audiences of 3 people in most theatres during its run. No one can sing a note! Why would you want a clearer picture of what's going on? It would be better for all concerned if it only was available on VHS!

As far as I am concerned I do not like this movie very much and I am surprised that it has been released on Blu-ray. I am still happy for the fans of the movie that it is available now even though the level of improvements might be less than expected.

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Sorry, but this is well known as a notorious bomb that trashed a much loved musical and had audiences of 3 people in most theatres during its run. No one can sing a note! Why would you want a clearer picture of what's going on? It would be better for all concerned if it only was available on VHS!

I don't particularly like musicals but I did like MAN OF THE MANCHA, which must prove something; a musical which appeals to those who don't like musicals? Incidentally, the film as shown in the U.K. and as I saw it on first release, was heavily cut. For one thing, the lengthy prelude was missing, with the opening scene being inside the prison.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
For me, surely one of the all-time stage to film misfires - Hiller had nothing musical about him and everything about it is embarrassingly bad. Even O'Toole, who should have been great, isn't. The stage show with Richard Kiley was brilliantly done. I happily saw Mr. Kiley do it several times when the first national tour played the Ahmanson here in LA (the wonderful Harvey Lembeck was Sancho, and Ms. Diener was Aldonza).

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
I'm not sure there's really a movie in MAN OF LA MANCHA, but I am sure that Hiller and Co. didn't find one in the material in 1972.

GlennF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Glenn Frost
Yes, the only distinction this movie has is the fact it was the last of the roadshow musicals of the 50's, 60's and early 70's. After this disaster, there were no more. $11 million down the drain in 1972 dollars.

Jim*Tod

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jim
I saw a touring production with Jose Ferer back in 1968 and it was incredible. It is such a theater piece that I am not sure it would ever work on film, but would certainly need a more talented director than Hill the hack. The revival a while back with Brian Stokes Mitchell was staged on the scale of a Wagner opera with a huge set... missing the point of the original concept which used minimal staging since a key point of the play was the power of the imagination. There are some theater pieces that simply cannot become films.... and there are plenty of examples including this and the deadly version of A CHORUS LINE. I will have to admit I have never been able to make it through the film of MAN OF LA MANCHA.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
There are some theater pieces that simply cannot become films.... and there are plenty of examples including this and the deadly version of A CHORUS LINE.

Heresy I know but I thought the stage version of A Chorus Line was cringe inducing trash. The film version isn't much better but at least I found it it's more watchable ..... to me! :)

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member

All concerned? How magnanimous of you to decide what is better for all of us! Much loved by whom? It's hardly The Sound Of Music or My Fair Lady or even Chicago! As for Loren, Pauline Kael pretty much summed it up with "The lyrics still sound as if they had been translated from Esperanto. Loren, with her great sorrowing green-brown eyes is magnificently sensual and spiritual. She brings the soul of Italian opera to this Broadway bastardization."

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
All concerned? How magnanimous of you to decide what is better for all of us! Much loved by whom? It's hardly The Sound Of Music or My Fair Lady or even Chicago! As for Loren, Pauline Kael pretty much summed it up with "The lyrics still sound as if they had been translated from Esperanto. Loren, with her great sorrowing green-brown eyes is magnificently sensual and spiritual. She brings the soul of Italian opera to this Broadway bastardization."

Wow! Your reaction shows the danger of trying to interpret tone from a purely text entry. That was not my attitude at all!

Sorry, but I obviously hit a nerve. Almost every flop movie has at least one critic some where who loves it. The general consensus is still that this is a dog of a movie. The Broadway version was a huge hit. The movie was not.

The songs require real singers. Peter O'tool is not a real singer. This is coming from a fan of "Goodbye Mr. Chips".
Most people find sitting through "Man of La Mancha" the movie a real chore. The musical is inspiring if done well.

KPmusmag

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kevin Parcher
I saw a touring production with Jose Ferer back in 1968 and it was incredible. It is such a theater piece that I am not sure it would ever work on film, but would certainly need a more talented director than Hill the hack. The revival a while back with Brian Stokes Mitchell was staged on the scale of a Wagner opera with a huge set... missing the point of the original concept which used minimal staging since a key point of the play was the power of the imagination. There are some theater pieces that simply cannot become films.... and there are plenty of examples including this and the deadly version of A CHORUS LINE. I will have to admit I have never been able to make it through the film of MAN OF LA MANCHA.

I think you hit it right on the head with your comment about the power of imagination. The first time I saw Man of La Mancha was in a tiny black box theater, with maybe only 50 seats or fewer. The audience was virtually on the stage with the actors and it was captivating because we felt almost part of the action, and as if we also were in the world of his imagination. I later saw it with Kiley, Raul Julia (and Sheena Easton), Brian Stokes Mitchell, and a variety of others, but I will never forget how magical that tiny production felt. The literalness of the movie IMO doesn't allow that feeling of losing yourself in imagination - really seeing the battle with the windmills seems more pathetic than humorous, for example - and, for me, imagination is the magic of the play. That being said, I don't dislike the movie as much as I just don't love it. I am glad to have it on blu. It is interesting how some shows, like The Sound of Music, benefitted from the literalness of film, but MLM not so much.

MarkA

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark Abel
I've seen stage productions and really like this show. I love musicals and have acted in them in local theaters for over 40 years. I bought the DVD of Man of La Mancha years ago and I couldn't get past 15 minutes of it!

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill

There's no movie in A CHORUS LINE, either. But one was nevertheless produced.

Raul Marquez

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Raul H. Marquez, MD
Wow! I can't believe the strong negative emotions for this film. Granted, it's no My Fair Lady, but I like it a lot. Brings back GREAT memories of my childhood. I remember endlessly playing the Richard Kiley Broadway cast LP (to this day I still know the lyrics by heart.... which surprised my girlfriend when we saw the blu-ray!), and it was locally presented here in San Juan, PR in the early 70's with Jose Ferrer in the title role. I for one am extremely happy with this blu-ray release!

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Raul, I saw that production with Jose Ferrer in Santurce, PR. It played the Music Hall. Aldonza was played by a good friend of mine, Vicky Acosta, who had a lovely soprano voice. She also played Eliza Doolitle in a local production of My Fair Lady. Ferrer and Acosta made a very convincing pair and the production, in English, was quite a success.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
I am certain that all comparisons to the many actors who portrayed Cervantes/Quixote and Aldonza would be an altogether mute point upon this thread had anyone attended the 1978 production that was staged Off-Off-Off-Off-Off Broadway, to which I played a Muleteer. In fact, if Hiller were in the audience, I am certain that he would have considered a raising of the monies for a re-make of his film. Kiley, Ferrer and O'Toole took the easy route by playing the lead;
whereas playing a Muleteer requires far greater ranges, sacrifices and services to the authors text and vision.:rolleyes:

Last edited:

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I am certain that all comparisons to the many actors who portrayed Cervantes/Quixote and Aldonza would be an altogether mute point upon this thread had anyone attended the 1978 production that was staged Off-Off-Off-Off-Off Broadway, to which I played a Muleteer. In fact, if Hiller were in the audience, I am certain that he would have considered a raising of the monies for a re-make of his film. Kiley, Ferrer and O'Toole took the easy route by playing the lead;
whereas playing a Muleteer requires far greater ranges, sacrifices and services to the authors text and vision.:rolleyes:

But your role had its own advantages - you got to 'abuse' Aldonza. Quixote and Panza didn't get to do that.

Raul Marquez

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Raul H. Marquez, MD
Raul, I saw that production with Jose Ferrer in Santurce, PR. It played the Music Hall. Aldonza was played by a good friend of mine, Vicky Acosta, who had a lovely soprano voice. She also played Eliza Doolitle in a local production of My Fair Lady. Ferrer and Acosta made a very convincing pair and the production, in English, was quite a success.

Jose,
Was it at the Music Hall or across the street at the Radio City / Excelsior which was on the same street right in front?

Raul

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Jose,
Was it at the Music Hall or across the street at the Radio City / Excelsior which was on the same street right in front?

Raul
You are right, Raul. It's been so long...It was at the Radio City, which was the larger theater. Ferrer wanted to perform the role in Spanish, which made sense in Puerto Rico, but the producer insisted that it be done in English. Ferrer, of course, obliged. Acosta, an accomplished singer and actress with an earthy sensuality, gave Ferrer a worthy foil to his character(s).
To bring this back to topic...There are plays that don't work when adapted to the screen. They require special care and talent from adapters and directors (and real singing voices in the case of musicals). IMO Man of La Mancha lacked many of these requirements.

usrunnr

Writer
Real Name
usrunnr
For me, surely one of the all-time stage to film misfires - Hiller had nothing musical about him and everything about it is embarrassingly bad. Even O'Toole, who should have been great, isn't. The stage show with Richard Kiley was brilliantly done. I happily saw Mr. Kiley do it several times when the first national tour played the Ahmanson here in LA (the wonderful Harvey Lembeck was Sancho, and Ms. Diener was Aldonza).
Wow! What a memory. I saw that production as well at the Ahmanson. I've never forgotten it, although I saw a very good amateur production at Citrus College in Azusa many years ago. Richard Kiley is always outstanding. Another great performance is in the film "The Little Prince".

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks