What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Mamma Mia! -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
After viewing a quality film that was rather depressing, I selected something that I presumed would be light, fun...

and a film that I knew very little about other than that it was a musical based upon songs by ABBA, and starred some brave thespians singing their hearts out.

Universal's Mamma Mia! fit the bill perfectly, and delivered a far greater amount of sheer entertainment than I had expected. It did so in a new Blu-ray release of beautiful quality.

Mamma Mia! has color that could have been borrowed from the feathers of a gorgeously plumed parrot -- thick, intense and beautifully captured on Blu. The film, which is a DI (presumably 2k) from anamorphic Panavision, has a crisp, shiny, new look on screen. I had read some comments on another site that seemed to be indicating that this might be a problem disc. It is virtually grainless, possibly based upon the taking stock, and while it does not possess the finest of details when examined closely, has quite enough to yield a totally satisfactory Blu image in every way. There are no problems here, just a very clean immersive image.

The audio rounds out the package as DTS-HD Master, and the music when raised is quite in line to allow one to break a lease.

I also appreciated some of the extras, specifically those that allow the audience to get a take on the filmmaking process without either speaking down to the home theater crowd or making it seem as if created for an early evening TV entertainment news show. Someone with an interest in film production can actually learn something.

My mood was brightened by a terrific piece of light entertainment that appears to have allowed some of our better acting talents to take roles out of the ordinary for them, and have some fun while doing it. When the film was released I was hearing about the lead's singing voices, and how they may not have been "professionally trained." I disagree, especially with comments leveled toward Mr. Brosnan's performance. He gives it his all, and does a great job of it. A trained voice is not what was called for here.

Mamma Mia! works in all departments, and has now made its way to Blu-ray as a gorgeous piece of entertainment. Great fun!

Recommended.

RAH

Reed Grele

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Reed Grele
This is great news!

I had the pleasure of seeing the stage version this past Saturday at the Shubert Theater in New Haven. It was a sold out house. The audience was very enthusiastic throughout, and gave the cast a standing ovation that lasted over 10 minutes! The cast even performed a few encores during the ovation, while the audience clapped to the beat. An unforgettable experience.

I haven't seen the film version yet, but I'll definitely be adding this Blu-Ray to my collection.

Richard Travale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Travale
Awesome Awesome Awesome! I can't wait for this and after reading this, the wait will seem even longer.

Brosnan's voice was painful at points but as Mr Harris points out, this is almost appropriate. I love this movie not despite this, but almost more because of this.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Awesome news, thanks Robert. When I saw this in the theater I had a smile on my face from start to finish. Fantastic musical!

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I'll be this film will be beautiful on Blu-ray.

My wife liked it (which may mean it will end up on my shelf sooner rather than later) but I have an old man's beef that the songs (while energetic and catchy) did nothing to advance either plot or character development. I had the sense throughout that the characters were just breaking out into pop songs every few minutes for no good reason. The whole point of a musical (or so I thought) was for the songs (ala Rodgers & Hammerstein or Sondheim) to move the story forward in some way. To me, the story just seemed like an excuse to throw the songs together and make some money--not too dissimilar from various Irving Berlin vehicles over the years.

I had heard so many good things about the stage show and film that I really wanted to like this. It was pleasant, I guess, (I liked Brosnan in this) but I gave it an overall thumbs down for too many flaws.

But the scenery and colors were beautiful. Made me "wish I was there" like the oft-quoted postcard used to say.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks