What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Maggie -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris

Henry Hobson's Maggie, a post-apololyptic drama that digs into the personal problems of those turning slowly into zombies, is not a film I'd suggest as a "date" movie.

Oppressively dark, in both tone and cinematography (from Lukas Ettlin *), Maggie has superb performances by Abigail Breslin (as a teen with a real health crisis), and Arnold Schwarzenegger, in what to me is a break-through role, as it's the first film that I've seen in which he shows serious acting chops.

He's remarkably good.  First time director, Henry Hobson, must be doing something right.  His previous work was as a main title designer.

* Mr. Ettlin, who has some terrific credits (check them out), shot the film with an Arri Alexa via Panavision in New Orleans.

Here's a link worth reading:

http://filmmakermagazine.com/94394-how-cool-is-that-to-have-schwarzenegger-in-an-arthouse-movie-dp-lukas-ettlin-on-maggie/#.Vb4plHgpE7Q

Maggie was an unexpected pleasure to me.  Not at all a typical zombie flick.  It's the story of personal tragedy that just happens to include a sub-plot of zombies.

One interesting thing that I've found in visiting different web sites, are discussions of slipcovers on Blu-rays.  I've never given them that much thought, and usually discard them.  But occasionally the publisher actually does something creative, and they're worth retaining. Maggie is one of those.  It's simple, yet elegant, and adds something to the overall packaging.

Maggie is a magnificent looking (and sounding) Blu-ray, that's worth not only your attention, but at $14, a worthwhile purchase.

For fans of Mr. Schwarzenegger, Maggie is a must, as his work here is tranformative.

Highly Recommended

RAH

Michel_Hafner

Screenwriter
I would have 'enjoyed' it more if several years of "Walking Dead" had not dealt with the same kind of (un)human drama extensively. The film comes a couple of years too late. I wonder if Arnold is looking for a second career as a character actor.

Oblivion138

Second Unit
Real Name
James O'Blivion
I gave up on Walking Dead after the first half of the fourth season, so maybe I'm not quite as burned out as others. Will check this one out.

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Have it, haven't watched it yet. RAH's review is one of several I have read giving the Governator kudos for his acting. Nice to see that.

Malcolm Bmoor

Second Unit
Real Name
Malcolm Blackmoor
There's a similarly named film THE MAGGIE, (also known as HIGH AND DRY) an Ealing Comedy made in 1954 and being issued on Blu-ray later this month.

I have the disc on advance order but BBC2 showed it a couple of weeks ago. I see it as a marvellous picture that forms a trilogy with WHISKY GALORE and LOCAL HERO.

I hope RAH reviews it and that many many people buy and enjoy it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks