What's new

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
It's a rarity when a studio makes a public domain production available, whether directly or via a license to a sub, but Disney has done just that - twice in a short period of time - and both to a savvy Kino Lorber.

John Cromwell's First Made for Each Other, a delightfully heartwarming (don't let that frighten you off) story of a young family in trouble, and most recently Nothing Sacred.

Black & white is far easier to handle than three-strip, and even with some onerous dupes, this Made for Each Other, is far and away the best I've ever seen it look. Mr. Shamroy would probably approve.

A young James Stewart and the ill-fated, brilliant Carole Lombard star in a Selznick production, that while unoriginal, is so perfectly sweet and sentimental, that it's a pleasure to go along for the ride.

Image - 4

Audio - 5

Pass / Fail - Pass

Upgrade from DVD - Absolutely

Recommended

RAH

Last edited by a moderator:

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Just saw MADE FOR EACH OTHER (1939) in its Public Domain "Glory" on TV earlier today! Great that it's finally getting a proper home video release! :)

CHEERS! :)

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Carole Lombard and Leon Shamroy: two of my favorites! For me, this disc is an essential purchase!

John Cromwell was a good director of women and he drew a very good performance from Carole Lombard in In Name Only which, like Made For Each Other, also has Charles Coburn in the cast.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
It's a rarity when a studio makes a public domain production available, whether directly or via a license to a sub, but Disney has done just that - twice in a short period of time - and both to a savvy Kino Lorber.

John Cromwell's First Made for Each Other, a delightfully heartwarming (don't let that frighten you off) story of a young family in trouble, and most recently Nothing Sacred.

Black & white is far easier to handle than three-strip, and even with some onerous dupes, this Made for Each Other, is far and away the best I've ever seen it look. Mr. Shamroy would probably approve.

A young James Stewart and the ill-fated, brilliant Carole Lombard star in a Selznick production, that while unoriginal, is so perfectly sweet and sentimental, that it's a pleasure to go along for the ride.

Image - 4

Audio - 5

Pass / Fail - Pass

Upgrade from DVD - Absolutely

Recommended

RAH
Yeah, I'll be picking up this BD release in the coming weeks.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I watched this today. A nice high definition presentation on the Blu-ray. What's a nicely entertaining domestic dramedy for 2/3 of the film turns deadly serious and melodramatic in the last quarter hour where I think Jo Swerling's writing lets down his story. I didn't get adequately scripted resolution scenes with Coburn and Lucile Watson that I wanted. It all ended just too abruptly for me. But I really liked the first 2/3 of the film.

That commentary is dreadfully annoying, however. I noticed Kino is using that fellow on lots of their commentaries, and it's a shame because the three or four that I've listened to are not worth the effort it takes to listen to them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
treed99
Recent bookmarks