What's new

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Cy Howard's 1970, Lovers and Other Strangers is a New York-based production, in turn based upon the New York stage play of the same name. Centering around a wedding, it allows us to see almost every human foible available at the time.

I'm not certain that it stands the test of time, but part of that may be the overall 1970 look, which pigeon-holes it into that specific period of filmmaking, inclusive of problematic ADR for some non-sync sequences.

Regardless, there's substance here. It also features the debut of Diane Keaton, who would next appear in another New York-based production, about a crime family.

Huge cast, and worth a look.

The marketing tells us that it's based upon a new 4k scan of the OCN, and it looks fine, albeit a few warts attached.

Image - 4.75

Audio - 5

Pass / Fail - Pass

Upgrade from previous Blu-ray - Absolutely!

Recommended

RAH

Last edited by a moderator:

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Cy Howard's 1970, Lovers and Other Strangers is a New York-based production, in turn based upon the New York stage play of the same name. I'm not certain that it stands the test of time, but part of that may be the overall 1970 look, which pigeon-holes it into that specific period of filmmaking, inclusive of problematic ADR for some non-sync sequences.

I've been anxious to see this film for decades and really like this Kino release. Personally, I think it quite nicely stands the test of time. The characters and performances are very rounded, the story absorbing, and the film is actually quite funny a lot of the time, even if not the kind of funny that induces constant belly laughs.

But a movie needn't become anachronistic simply because it is set decades ago and plays somewhat better for those in our age bracket simply because of references that were more relevant back then than now. Hell, look at SPARTACUS (as I know you fairly frequently have, Mr. Harris!) We've no gladiators in our midst these days, but the film remains impossible to look away from. ;)

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
I remember seeing this and felt sorry for Anne Jackson's character, the 'old maid' who's sleeping with the bride's father played by Gig Young, who's married to her best friend Cloris Leachman. Now as an adult, I'd probably tell her to 'grow a spine' and give an ultimatum to Gig and spill the beans to Cloris!

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
It is still a very funny film! "So what's the story Richie?"
Coppola recently commented after seeing it ......the result was casting Richard Castellano and Diane Keaton in THE GODFATHER.

Reactions: PMF

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
I remember seeing this movie in 1970 when it was first released. Loved it then and have seen it several times since then. I think it has held up as sn indictment on relationships. It was also Diane Keaton’s screen debut.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks