What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Lost - Season 1 -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
One of the interesting things about popping a Blu-ray disc into a player and viewing the image on screen is that one doesn't always know what's going to appear. We can surmise, hope and assume -- potentially the most dangerous -- but we don't know until we see an actual image.

Seasons 3 and 4 of Lost on Blu-ray are exquisite releases -- everything that they can and should be. But on occasional a post facility will change. A tech will be replaced. And... well, stranger things have happened.

Which is precisely why, while waiting for Lost S1 to load, that I hoped for the best.

Fortunately, the gods of Blu-ray have prevailed again, and those who gave us the second and third seasons appear to be still in place, as Season 1 is, in a word -- Perfect - all 1000 plus minutes of it.

Everything that was done properly on the previous two releases has remained in place. Color, blacks, and the overall tonalities of the island and its surrounding areas are back in absolutely brilliant Blu-ray detail.

I've said it before, but it's always worth repeating. Lost is one of those series that will go down in broadcast history for its frustrating, undeniably confusing brilliance -- that somehow all works.

Going back four years -- meeting the characters once again, and being able to see the show grew, was shaped and found its bearings, is a total treat.

Lost - Season 1 is terrific entertainment.

Disney includes a $20 rebate for those who already own the show on standard definition, bringing the final cost down to $29 at Amazon. Amazon also sweetens the deal with an additional discount at checkout of $10 per season if you purchase at least two seasons.

The end result is that if one already owns Seasons 1 and 2 on standard definition, the cost is $98 for both seasons on Blu, with $40 back from Disney. That brings the cost to $58, and then another $20 from Amazon.

Final cost by my math...

$38 for both seasons, before selling your old standard definition sets.

I call that a deal.

Highly Recommended.

RAH

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Sounds great. I'm still on the fence about picking up the Blu-ray though. I own the four seasons on SD. I popped in the first disc of season 1 and it actually looks rather good upconverted. Still, the Amazon deal is pretty tempting. It's $160 for all 4 seasons on Blu. With that added info from Robert about the rebate, that'll knock it down to $120. Unfortunately, I missed my chance with the S4 rebate (which expired last month and would have knocked it down another $20).

Hard decisions.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Virgoan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ron Pulliam

Mr. Harris: Do you know the particulars of what proof Disney asks for for those who own the SD DVDs? Is it a UPC code to be mailed in?

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris

ID tab or UPC, along with receipt or copy of receipt and original rebate form, which comes with discs. Purchase window is one year beginning 6/16/09.

ToEhrIsHuman

Second Unit
Real Name
Craig Ehr
Just a clarification on the rebate... I'm pretty sure the form states a $20 rebate on either 'LOST' Season 1 OR Season 2, so you can't double up. $20 is certainly better than nothing, considering Disney doesn't owe anybody anything for upgrading, but I didn't want anyone to be disappointed either.

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Is the store receipt a requirement? I no longer have mine. :frowning:

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough

When my review surfaces in a few days, I'll reiterate this, but you only need the receipt from the purchase of the NEW Blu-ray sets, not your original receipts from the DVD purchases.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David

Me too. I think it'll help to have a better idea of how everything ties together. I have forgotten too many things from the early seasons.

Edward Schatz

Second Unit
I purchased season 1 and 2 on blu-ray on Amazon and got 30 off. I wonder if that's because I've purchased season 3 a long time ago on there. Almost got hoodwinked as my original order (made eons ago) did not have the discount. I was going to pay $98 before I replaced the order!

ATimson

Second Unit
Real Name
Andrew Timson
Their discounts can get wonky when you have an order for an included item and add another later. I ended up getting $60 off of all four seasons ($20 off of my order for 1/2; $40 off of 3/4--$20 for those two, and $20 for 1/2 because they didn't have the offer when I first preordered). I figure the extra makes up for S3's higher list price. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks