What's new

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Author and screenwriter, Michael Crichton, directed several quality films during his tenure, but Looker isn't one of them.

It's an interesting film, to be sure, but the acting, the cuts, the music, and other niceties never seem to come together as one might wish.

That noted, and in typical fashion, there is good news for Crichton fans, as well as those into techno-sci-fi genre, for the new Blu-ray from Warner Archive is a looker.

Image - 5

Audio - 5 (stereo)

Pass / Fail - Pass

Upgrade from DVD - Yes

RAH

Last edited by a moderator:

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
I basically feel like Albert Finney is one of those actors I could watch reading the phone book. This is better than him reading the phone book.

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Been waiting for this one to come to Blu.

Susan Dey makes this film all the more worthwhile in Blu.

Time to order some more 2-disc Blu cases as I’ll be putting this together with my retired DVD.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
I basically feel like Albert Finney is one of those actors I could watch reading the phone book. [...]
Those British phone books sound superior to ours;
that is, unless, Mr. Finney was making a call from the home and drawing room of Sir Larry.:D

Last edited:

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Those British phone books sound superior to ours;
that is, unless, Mr. Finney was making a call from the home and drawing room of Sir Larry.:D

Definitely lessor Finney. Would love to have seen what he might have done with TEL, not that there’s any problem with the one we received.

Nick*Z

Screenwriter
Real Name
NICK
Looker is just one of those movies you sincerely wish could have been better. Good premise, great actors, but given precious little to do. Why the studio ultimately forced Crichton to take out the scene where Coburn explains why he's been killing super models is beyond me. It actually crystalizes the plot, and the attached 'escape' sequence provides the necessary connective tissue to the next scene that remains in the movie.

The point about marketers and advertising taking over our lives as a form of brainwashing the consumer gets lost in a lot of plotless mumbo-jumbo about light-emitting scanners able to temporarily eclipse one's memory. It all just comes off as Crichton trying much too hard to unravel a mystery where actually there really isn't one. B-grade fluff and nonsense. Still worth another viewing. But only one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks