A Few Words About A few words about...™ Lonely are the Brave - in Blu-ray

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Reaction score
Real Name
Robert Harris
Not too many 5s from these quarters lately, so it gives me a huge pleasure to bring your attention to a superb film, and one of Kirk Douglas' best.

Lone are the Brave, 1962, in glorious black & white.

A few months ago, I was thrilled to be able to screen Universal's gorgeous new 4k restoration on a 37 foot screen - in 4k.

And am pleased to report, that albeit at 1/4 resolution, the new Blu-ray from Kino beautifully mimics the theatrical DCP.

Nicely resolved, with almost charcoal-like blacks, accurate grain, and a gorgeous gray scale, this is perfection.

For those who may have never experienced this film, you're in for a treat. From the pre-credit sequence onward, you know you're in for a treat.

Excellant extras!

Image - 5

Audio - 5

Pass / Fail - Pass

Upgrade from DVD - Absolutely!

Very Highly Recommended

RAH

Last edited by a moderator:

Chewbabka

Auditioning
Reaction score
Real Name
Joe
Wonderful news! I blind pre-ordered this after the movie kept being mentioned in Kirk Douglas obits (may he R.I.P.). I'm generally a big fan of his, but have never seen this. Glad my first experience will be superb.

Robert Crawford

Reaction score
Real Name
Robert
Wonderful news! I blind pre-ordered this after the movie kept being mentioned in Kirk Douglas obits (may he R.I.P.). I'm generally a big fan of his, but have never seen this. Glad my first experience will be superb.
It's one of his best and Douglas stated many times, this was his favorite movie that he ever made.

Dave Blair

Extra
Reaction score
Real Name
David Blair
It is a great film. I saw it upon release and have seen it many times since. For the readers out there it is a film adaptation of the Edward Abbey novel The Brave Cowboy which is a great read. I remember being energized after seeing this and recognizing it as an adult themed movie, something which I saw little of at age 14. All I can say is get a copy and watch it as soon as possible.

Robert Crawford

Reaction score
Real Name
Robert
I have the MOC Blu-ray release and also on iTunes. I will buy it again if I can confirm this BD is derived from a new 4K master.

Reactions: Darby67

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Reaction score
Real Name
Robert Harris

Robert Crawford

Reaction score
Real Name
Robert
I have the MOC Blu-ray release and also on iTunes. I will buy it again if I can confirm this BD is derived from a new 4K master.
I need to do a little more investigating, but, it looks like iTunes might have a different HD digital than what is on Vudu. Again, I need to do some more comparisons, but, I remember the below Universal opening credit the last time I watched the iTunes digital. It's now gone on iTunes, but it's still present on Vudu.

Edit: Alright, I did some further comparisons and it appears to be the same digital as both, Vudu and iTunes have the same video blemishes.

bugsy-pal

Stunt Coordinator
Reaction score
Real Name
Paul
I wasn't aware of a MOC release... are you sure about that? I bought this on German bluray some years back, in digibook packaging. I felt the picture could have looked a bit better, but it was an improvement over the DVD.
I look forward to seeing this again - terrific movie!

Robert Crawford

Reaction score
Real Name
Robert
I wasn't aware of a MOC release... are you sure about that? I bought this on German bluray some years back, in digibook packaging. I felt the picture could have looked a bit better, but it was an improvement over the DVD.
I look forward to seeing this again - terrific movie!
I made that post on my iPhone so I didn't feel like spelling out "Masterpieces of Cinema" that the German Koch Blu-ray has at the top of that digiback. I'm sorry if I confused you with Eureka's "The Masters of Cinema" label.

Blu_rayfan66

Stunt Coordinator
Reaction score
Real Name
Hugh S.
I made that post on my iPhone so I didn't feel like spelling out "Masterpieces of Cinema" that the German Koch Blu-ray has at the top of that digiback. I'm sorry if I confused you with Eureka's "The Masters of Cinema" label.
Thanks for clearing that up- was also confused! Also owned the German BD so glad to hear this newer version is an improvement.

Dan Cooper

Stunt Coordinator
Reaction score
Real Name
Dan
I have to settle on the kino version as koch masterpieces of cinema are no longer available to the states. I imagined there would be some on ebay for hundreds of dollars but not even seeing scalpers for the movies i looked at like Destry rides again. No need to continue searching as everyone is saying criterion version is better.

I just got another kirk Douglas blu ray in mail by someone named Stanley Kubrick paths of glory. I chose masters of cinema for that film as it had a great many video interviews by proffesonal film people as opposed to kirk Douglas tv appearances on the criterion. Also the blu ray cover was much more atrative to me at least.

I haven't seen many kirk douglas movies eventhough i have something like 10000 dvds and about 5000 blu rays. Just never crossed paths with his movies. I have never seen lonely are the brave, paths of glory or ace in the hole but will soon. My good friend John Mulholland sent me a free copy of truGen Cooper Hemmingway documentary blu ray special edition and after seeing the extended Kirk Douglas emotional interviews, i decided it was time to start seeking out his movies. To be honest i have only seen 2 stanley Kubrick movies full metal jacket and the shining but i have always been more into directors who stated in the 20s and 30s like john Ford and others.

Last edited:

bugsy-pal

Stunt Coordinator
Reaction score
Real Name
Paul
Gotcha - thanks :thumbsup:

Blu_rayfan66

Stunt Coordinator
Reaction score
Real Name
Hugh S.
I have to settle on the kino version as koch masterpieces of cinema are no longer available to the states. I imagined there would be some on ebay for hundreds of dollars but not even seeing scalpers for the movies i looked at like Destry rides again. No need to continue searching as everyone is saying criterion version is better.

I just got another kirk Douglas blu ray in mail by someone named Stanley Kubrick paths of glory. I chose masters of cinema for that film as it had a great many video interviews by proffesonal film people as opposed to kirk Douglas tv appearances on the criterion. Also the blu ray cover was much more atrative to me at least.

I haven't seen many kirk douglas movies eventhough i have something like 10000 dvds and about 5000 blu rays. Just never crossed paths with his movies. I have never seen lonely are the brave, paths of glory or ace in the hole but will soon. My good friend John Mulholland sent me a free copy of truGen Cooper Hemmingway documentary blu ray special edition and after seeing the extended Kirk Douglas emotional interviews, i decided it was time to start seeking out his movies. To be honest i have only seen 2 stanley Kubrick movies full metal jacket and the shining but i have always been more into directors who stated in the 20s and 30s like john Ford and others.
Highly recommend 'Spartacus' with Kirk Douglas...and directed by Stanley Kubrick. it's a classic.

Reactions: timk1041

Bartman

Agent
Reaction score
Real Name
Trevor Bartram
Highly recommend 'Spartacus' with Kirk Douglas...and directed by Stanley Kubrick. it's a classic.
Make sure you pick up the latest restored Spartacus Blu-ray (Universal) from 2015, NOT the overly processed 50th anniversary version from 2010.

I was lucky enough to pick up the restored Spartacus steelbook at Best Buy at Xmas for $12, my first steelbook.

Chewbabka

Auditioning
Reaction score
Real Name
Joe
20,000 Leagues Under the Sea recently came out from DMC and I recently watched it for the first time. Great film and looks fantastic on Blu.

Reactions: dpippel

Bartman

Agent
Reaction score
Real Name
Trevor Bartram
I need to do a little more investigating, but, it looks like iTunes might have a different HD digital than what is on Vudu. Again, I need to do some more comparisons, but, I remember the below Universal opening credit the last time I watched the iTunes digital. It's now gone on iTunes, but it's still present on Vudu.

Edit: Alright, I did some further comparisons and it appears to be the same digital as both, Vudu and iTunes have the same video blemishes.
I have the Universal DVD and was burnt by the recent KL 4K Charley Varrick SE Blu-ray, so I'm cautious. I assume the streaming versions at Amazon, Vudu, iTunes are identical and not derived from the most recent 4K scan, if so, was the streaming picture quality good?

Blu_rayfan66

Stunt Coordinator
Reaction score
Real Name
Hugh S.
Make sure you pick up the latest restored Spartacus Blu-ray (Universal) from 2015, NOT the overly processed 50th anniversary version from 2010.

I was lucky enough to pick up the restored Spartacus steelbook at Best Buy at Xmas for $12, my first steelbook.
The latest restored version with the improved video quality is the '55th Anniversary Restored Edition'...at least here in the UK and Ireland. I also believe there may be a 4K UHD version being released soon- should be spectacular!

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
claytonthsn