What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Logan -- in 4k UHD Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
James Mangold's Logan aka Wolverine 3, is a dark film, both visually as well as story-wise.

While we may see either a younger incarnation of Mr. Jackman's beloved mutant, or a continuation of the tale -- think what survives beneath the windmill in Bride of Frankenstein --one might believe that this film brings Wolverine's arc to a close, while opening yet another door into the Marvel Universe.

Regardless, this is an entertaining romp into the mutant arena, especially with young Dafne Keen coming to the fore.

One of a handful of productions making their way through the entire prod and post-prod chains in full 4k, the extra resolution makes Fox's new 4k UHD release a winner in the tech category, especially combined with Dolby Atmos for a huge sound stage.

While just a bit dark for 4k projection, the disc shines on high-end flat panels. On Sony's new OLED, it's a totally different experience.

Image - 5

Audio - 5 (Dolby Atmos)

Pass / Fail - Pass

Recommended

RAH

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Agreed. Great film and it looked tremendous on my LG OLED and sounded awesome in Atmos.

TomTom

Stunt Coordinator
Yes...would like Mr. Harris' opinion on the B&W HDR Version.

I, for one, quite enjoyed it.

Race Bannon

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jay
I watched my copy today. This was a well-made film, but I was a bit disappointed after all the good things I had heard from its theatrical release.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
FYI the Wal*Mart "exclusive" on the HDR and Blu ray is "trading cards"
a87d926f-3ac8-40f6-95b7-2874850481a8_1.4264cf1f0af90a1caebefe5e0a70811d.jpeg

This is the cover for the blu-ray but the 4K version has the same special exclusive ... enjoy

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't Logan Noir be the first appearance of a black & white film on 4K Blu-ray? And exactly how is HDR used for black & white?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I watched my copy today. This was a well-made film, but I was a bit disappointed after all the good things I had heard from its theatrical release.
Perhaps a second viewing will enhance your opinion of the film. Another thing, your disappointment after hearing the hype from those that view it during its theatrical run is not surprising as it frequently occurs with many very good to excellent films. It's like to seeing a photo of a beautiful woman then much later in time, you actually meet her in person and she isn't as beautiful as she appeared in that photo.

Jonathan Perregaux

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jonathan Perregaux
The noir version is gorgeous.

What a huge about-face from the ineffectual excesses of X-Men: Apocalypse. So refreshing to not see a single beam of light, or a winking X in the 20th Century Fox logo, or even the slightest hint of the usual X-position ("What's a Magneto?" / "A very powerful mutant. He believes that a war is brewing between mutants and the rest of humanity. I've been following his activities for some time. The man who attacked you is an associate of his called Sabertooth.").

Just honest storytelling at a sensible pace that envelops you.

Last edited:

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I watched the disc on my Epson LS10000 (ISF cal'd, near 100% DCI coverage) front projector at 124" with 14ftL on the Panasonic UB900 and HD Fury Linker stripping out the HDR.

At SDR + 2020 with +2 on the UB900 SDR conversion slider I did not find it too dark. Looked excellent.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks